Free eats for Veterans and Active Military!

11/11/14

Lots of restaurants are honoring Veterans and Active Military with some pretty yummy free meals today and tomorrow. Here's a list:

http://freebies.about.com/od/freefoo...free-meals.htm

In that spirit, I'm sure many of the providers of ECCIE are offering dining or full buffet specials. I am.

My brother, ex-Navy as was our father, plans to
go forth and pig out! He's going to spend the entire day indulging himself, starting with coffee at Starbucks, breakfast at IHOP, early lunch at the Texas Roadhouse, mid-afternoon snack at TGIF, supper at Red Robin, dinner at the Olive Garden, and perhaps a last stop at Applebee's or Chili's. I may have to roll him into the house with a case of Rolaids.

Nice to see at least a wee bit of gratitude for the sacrifices made by the members of the Armed Forces on our behalf. We thank you.

A few years ago (on Veteran's Day) I was driving from Austin to Victoria and stopped for lunch at Black's BBQ in Lockhart. As I was checking out the guy behind the counter asked if I was a Veteran. I proudly told him that I was and he reached out and shook my hand and said "thank you for your service, lunch is on us."

I have never forgotten their kindness and generosity and have probably been back 15-20 times since. Outstanding BBQ and great people!
Thanks Fancy for the reminder. My father was Navy also. Last two years the local Applebee's was PACKED.
My family has had members from every generation in either the Navy or Army since we set foot on American soil. My immigrant grandfather joined the Infantry to serve his new country in WWII, my father was a Naval pilot, my uncle was wounded in Korea, my oldest cousin was killed in Vietnam, and my brother was on an aircraft carrier, the U.S.S. Forrestal, for 4 years. My teenage nephew is considering either the Coast Guard or Marines. There is not even a question of whether or not he will enter some branch of the Armed Forces.

We are proud Irish Americans... and hearty eaters. (I won't even talk about the drinking, and woe be it to any bar giving free beer today to Irish veterans.)
A toast to all our fine servicemen and women!
Free coffee (or drink?) at starbucks.
Thanks for the link Fancy....I actually sent it to my Dad who is a Vietnam Vet and last I heard, he's already dragged my mother around town to several locations to get his fill on some of his favorite foods. Also, another quick shout out to my grandfather who recently passed a few months back at the ripe old age of 92....he served overseas in the U.S. Army during WWII and there was nothing better for me growing up than to listen to his stories during one of our many hunting/fishing trips at his camp house....especially the crazy stories about the overseas brothels after he'd had one too many beers.....ahh yes, good ole grandpa did love the ladies.....