Damn Iphone Users...

Found this article on Khou, thought some of you might find it interesting....

HOUSTON -- The days of the disposable cell phone may be over. Now, there is a new app for iPhone called "Burner."

"It gives you a secondary, additional line," founder Greg Cohn said.

It is a line that comes with a new number and a new way to protect your privacy. Use it with a stranger you meet at a bar or a seller on Craigslist, and then simply cancel the number when you're done.

Burner users can even choose their own area codes, which some have used when applying for jobs.

"They may not want their new employer or prospective new employer to know right away that they're a relocation candidate," Cohn said. "They might want to blend in with the locals."

For many people, cell phones are now replacing landlines.

"Phone numbers are another form of identify," Cohn said.

It may help explain why Burner was among iTunes' top 20 paid apps when it recently debuted. It sells for $1.99, far cheaper than so-called burn phones.

Yet smart phone owner Amy Sutton is not sold.

"I think you should just say you don't want to give someone your number," she said.

Burner is only currently available in the U.S. and Canada. It will soon be coming to Android.
It'll be free on Android in a couple of months.... or you can just use Google Voice. Which is already free... IJS
Yep , I have a burner Kyocera hobby phone , haven't used it since putting google voice on my iPhone !
Going to take a look at Google Voice.
Google voice is great. I'd classify it as medium security - I'd be willing to bet that a call could be traced to you with a subpoena. But for typical hobby activity, it's probably good enough.
Agreed BP and this is why it doesn't work for everyone. Plus your SO can access your GV app on your phone.
Isn't it hard to just get a different google number once you already have one though?
EA- No but you have to know what you are doing.
If you don't want someone to have access to the gv app, simply don't install it on the phone. You can still receive calls and text via gv but if you want to make a call or text through gv some extra steps are required but its still doable both online through your email (which should be password protected) and your phone.
Agreed BP and this is why it doesn't work for everyone. Plus your SO can access your GV app on your phone. Originally Posted by BarronVonEccie
Don't you people know how to hide apps or designate to other e-mail/telephone numbers?
I like the Talkatone app; it supports multiple Google Voice accounts, as well as other VoIP services. Ditto on what DG said... Covering tracks, not just for natives. ^_~
meh, I got 48 minutes left on my hobby phone that out to last awhile, then I can try an app.
  • bbkid
  • 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Don't you people know how to hide apps or designate to other e-mail/telephone numbers? Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Nope, I for one, have no clue.
It all sounds good. What about leaving a record of the call? What about the SO getting a list of called numbers with call times and so on?

Doesnt the iPhone record all that info and send it to apple . . .or am I just reading paranoid conspiracy blogs?