The 200 Million Dollar Myth

In another thread it was mentioned that the President's trip to India would cost $200 million per day. I decided to investigate and here is what I found:

President Obama's ten-day tour of Asia, particularly the visit in India creates a lot of buzz on the social media over the alleged over-the-top $200 million a day spending. On Thursday's "AC360," Anderson CooperAnderson Cooper zoomed in about the real truth of this issue and the fabricated story about the supposedly enormous price tag for the India trip.

Conservative politicians and pundits jumped and spread the news right away without knowing the validity of the source. According to Huffington Post, "Andreson Cooper opened his show by promising to refute "a made-up story about the president of the United States." He stressed that it was "not [my] job to defend the president," but that there were plenty of real things to criticize President Obama about without resorting to falsehoods."

The news allegedly broke out from an Indian press/website, of the motive maybe just to drive traffic to their site or for for whatever reason. Allvoice fellow writer actually rode that story in his article, that "34 warships sent from US to protect Obama in India" and the notion of $200 million a day spending on a 10 day trip to Asia.

Anderson Cooper pointed out that the entire war in Afghanistan costs $190 million a day, and so the notion that Obama's trip would cost more than that makes no sense. He also calculated that a similar trip that President ClintonPresident Clinton had made to Africa in 1998 had only cost $5.2 million a day in 2010 dollars -- and that Obama's trip would be shorter than Clinton's.

Although the White House does not disclose the amount of the trip due to security reasons but Press Sec. Robert GibbsRobert Gibbs said that the amount was totally over blown and was echoed in the Pentagon too.
Cooper has a message to the critics, to check on the facts first before you aim fire.

Here is a link to a report on Snopes as to the origin of the myth

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/india.asp
You can't burst the Tea Baggers bubble, they do love "myths." They never let the facts stand in the way of the story they want to tell!

Truth be damned!!!!!
Yeah and the "Puffington Post" And "Communist News Network" are totally reliable sources? LOL
Yeah and the "Puffington Post" And "Communist News Network" are totally reliable sources? LOL Originally Posted by Gator42
I would agree. the Huffington Post is not the most reliable news source. By the same token, neither is FOX News! On the other hand, Snopes is extremely reliable. It seemed to me that Big Louie's post relied more upon Snopes findings for factual evidence and the CNN and Huffington Post were utilized more for reference purposes. I am sure if Big Louie feels differently, he will chime in. He has never been known to be shy!
I would agree. the Huffington Post is not the most reliable news source. By the same token, neither is FOX News! On the other hand, Snopes is extremely reliable. It seemed to me that Big Louie's post relied more upon Snopes findings for factual evidence and the CNN and Huffington Post were utilized more for reference purposes. I am sure if Big Louie feels differently, he will chime in. He has never been known to be shy! Originally Posted by bigtex
It's pretty much a given that no matter who's POTUS someone in the press is going to fudge the numbers on trip costs ect......
Come on now.....evryone knows Fox News is "fair and balanced" !
Come on now.....evryone knows Fox News is "fair and balanced" ! Originally Posted by Gator42
Shhhhh, don't tell anyone but CNN is "The Most Trusted Name in News."
200 million ruples = 2 grand
I will admitt that even the Obama Administration cannot spend money that fast.

He is the President. I do not like him, but untill he defeated in 2012, I will show him the repect that the Office demands.

This more than he showed President Bush when he refused to refer to him as President Bush throughout the entire Presidential campain, instead calling him 'George Bush' at every occasion.
This is why he is one and done;
On the other hand, Snopes is extremely reliable. Originally Posted by bigtex
bt, what happened to the Houston Chronicle?
bt, what happened to the Houston Chronicle? Originally Posted by LexusLover
I now read the Austin American Statesman each morning when I arrive at my office. Is the Houston Chronicle still in business?
Is the Houston Chronicle still in business? Originally Posted by bigtex
Yes, I think you can still get one mailed to you. The Chronicle is a bit to the right of the Statesman ... but they are "playing" to the market.

Must be somewhat gloomy these days in Austin, since Election Day.
Must be somewhat gloomy these days in Austin, since Election Day. Originally Posted by LexusLover
I don't get a sense that things "must be somewhat gloomy these days in Austin" because of "Election Day." Then again, if Lloyd Doggett would have lost that might not be the case! He is always in high demand among the Austin based political crowd!

If it is "somewhat gloomy these days in Austin" it is due to the Horns dismal play, not "Election Day!"
I don't get a sense that things "must be somewhat gloomy these days in Austin" because of "Election Day." Then again,.... Originally Posted by bigtex
Perhaps "they" are waiting for a "recount" ...

From the Austin-American page:

"THE TOP STORY
A look back on the 2000 presidential election
Austin insiders and observers reflect on the night of Nov. 7, 2000, 10 years later."

After one knows where "Clarksville" was and who "Hattie" was ...

.... one becomes a "true Austinite"!

Everyone else is a "carpet bagger" ..... there to bask in the "ambience."
..... there to bask in the "ambience." Originally Posted by LexusLover
And there are some who are not there to "bask in the ambience," we are there to work! Consider me to be among them!

As for the Horns, the following link is a reflection of the mood of both the political and non-political Austin crowd! Even Town Lake has been a gloomy shade of gray for weeks on end!

http://www.statesman.com/sports/long...w-1027562.html