Trump to enact new rule allowing migrant families and children to be detained beyond current limitations.

Is this why Trump is stirring up shit about Greenland?

Another day, another cruel politically motivated decision.

Nothing about this reforms immigration policy. Just demonizes the immigrant and reinforces the wide belief that our nation is no longer the land of the free and the home of the brave.

BTW, in other news, a court had to order ICE to provide soap to the kids being caged in Trump’s camps.

Child abuse, on an international scale.

Proud of your POTUS boys???

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flores-...CNM-00-10aac3a

Trump administration to detain migrant families and children for far longer with new rule
Updated on: August 21, 2019 / 10:03 AM
By Camilo Montoya-Galvez and Graham Kates

Washington — The Trump administration on Wednesday unveiled a sweeping plan to detain migrant families and children for longer periods of time than currently allowed, issuing a final regulation that would overhaul the immigration detention system in the U.S. and scrap a longstanding court settlement.

For more than two decades, the court settlement known as the Flores Agreement has governed the care of migrant children in U.S. custody. The 1997 agreement sets sweeping standards for the treatment of unaccompanied migrant children, from housing to medical care, as well as education, nutrition and hygiene. In more recent rulings, the federal judge overseeing the settlement has also effectively prohibited the government from detaining for more than 20 days families apprehended with children.

But the new Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulation, a draft of which was published last year, would give immigration authorities more leeway in detaining families with children for longer, and modify the standards of care for unaccompanied children set forth by the 1997 settlement. The administration believes these changes would render the deal obsolete.

Under the administration's rule, which will be published in the Federal Register Friday and would go into effect 60 days later, does not set a limit on the number of days families and children can be detained. Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan said in a briefing Wednesday that there is "no intent" to hold families for "a very long time." He suggested that if cases involving detained families could be adjudicated at the same pace they were in 2015, they'd be in custody for an average of about 50 days.

Peter Schey, the lead attorney for the team representing thousands of unaccompanied migrant children in the Flores case, said the terms of the Flores Agreement prohibit the government from implementing rules that undermine it. In a Tuesday night interview with CBS News, Schey said the only way to terminate the settlement would be to issue a final regulation that codifies the full agreement into federal law.

Schey said he expects the judge that oversees the Flores case to reject the administration's efforts.

"These regulations do not implement the settlement. In fact, it abrogates the settlements. And so I think their efforts will be futile," said Schey, who had not yet seen the final regulations, but reviewed a draft published in September 2018.

He accused the White House of playing politics with children's well-being.

"They know that the only way the can terminate the settlement is by coming out with regulations that institutionalize it, but they have a history of criticizing the settlement," Schey said. "So what is this? I think it's a politicization of the treatment of children. It's part of running for reelection. That's what it's about."
  • oeb11
  • 08-21-2019, 09:11 AM
Fake news - the cages and laws separating families were of Obama origin - and enforced by Obama
Now the humn traffickers are taking advantage by using non-related children as mules to get families in, and as drug traffickers and smugglers.

Thank you - Obama supporters.
Not surprising we'd get that kind of response from you.

Denying the fact and the truth.

Deflecting, denying, dodging, dipping and diverting.

Great job, oeb11

And I am fully qualified to make that statement.
Fake news - the cages and laws separating families were of Obama origin - and enforced by Obama
Now the humn traffickers are taking advantage by using non-related children as mules to get families in, and as drug traffickers and smugglers.

Thank you - Obama supporters. Originally Posted by oeb11
typical Republican, dodging the question at hand, to say "but your guy did it"!

you support Trump going much farther than Obama, so why bring up Obama, as if he did wrong?

there are a few Smugglers and Traffickers using children.. arrest them. have a DNA check at the Border.. pretty simple.
Otra vez........
that meme says it all

by the way, Trump postponed his planned trip to Denmark, after his Greenland purchase proposal was labeled "absurd". I guess that's the Trumpian equivalent of taking your toys and going home.
Sigh I guess I have to resort to big pictures for Yssup so he can understand.

Any questions????????????
And I am fully qualified to make that statement. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
You're not qualified to clean my toilet...
I guess that's the Trumpian equivalent of taking your toys and going home. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
That's what you do when have an ignore list...CHANGSTER!!

... Originally Posted by Chung Tran
It is called "precedent." Yours is called "belly aching."

What's happened is many judges have basically OKed turning these illegal immigrants who are falsely claiming "asylum" into the country and they aren't showing up for court dates. Or have you not been keeping up?

you support Trump going much farther than Obama, so why bring up Obama, as if he did wrong?

there are a few Smugglers and Traffickers using children.. arrest them. have a DNA check at the Border.. pretty simple. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
Typical CHANGSTER...ignoring the truth.
As if a DNA check is like checking your blood sugar...expensive procedure!!

To ignore is ignorant...you are very blissful

That's right you can't read this...you have me on ignore
Trump is rambling on about background checks for Mexico and other things while starting to sweat again. If he had any sense at all...he would stand in the shade tree pictured behind him. Any normal human would....just further proof that he is a pod.