Directv genie - stay away

The most fuck up piece of equipment ever made. I swear they are beta testing on us. I recommend sticking with the regular receivers until they get all the bugs out.

I was so excited to try this thing out...who doesn't want to record 5-7 shows at a time....watchv on their phone.

Had this thing for a month and the thing freezes up every day sometimes 3-4 times a day. Call tech support and you have an idiot reading from a script on the other end. When nothing works, they try to say they have to send a tech support guy and charge you $50 for the visit or a $7.99 monthy service plan.

So frustrated with these guys that i am considering going back to cable.
Actually, there are always inevitable setup problems whenever you migrate to a new service.

That is just the nature of the beast.

I've
setup different systems and each time something required tweaking which is always a pain, but must be dealt with.

. . . Accept the reality, fix the problem and stop your bitching.

I have an 83 YO neighbor lady widow who over the years has migrated from SD receivers to HD DVRs to now the Genie. Runs flawlessly. Even though she is technically challenged she has no problem using it. I strongly suggest you get the service plan. I've used it many times over the years. They come out free of charge on any issue including cabling problems.
I have had direct TV for years I installed my own system. When my wife was alive we had two control boxes. Now I have only one box and three remote control devices from Radio Shack. I watch TV from my computer room, bedroom and kitchen. The RS remotes will use RF to activate a infrared device to change channel at the TV control box. I have a cable splitter to send the TV signal to those location.
When I purchased the system I spent several hours getting the strongest signal and locked it down. I seldom lose my signal just when I have a big storm to the south of me. It rarely lasts longer that 10 minutes. I got a wet snow build up on the dish one time and I pulled the garden hose out of the garage and hosed the dish down to remove the snow build up. I was younger than and pulled coax cable from several places to a central location. I now can go to the central point and swap the cable to different rooms if I want to change things. The Radio Shack Catalog number is
15-2572R it may also deliver the TV signal between the control box to the TV set but I have never used that function. The control box I have is older than hell and I don't give a shit about watching TV from my phone or computer. The more shit you add to things the more there is to go wrong.
Actually, there are always inevitable setup problems whenever you migrate to a new service.

That is just the nature of the beast.

I've
setup different systems and each time something required tweaking which is always a pain, but must be dealt with.

. . . Accept the reality, fix the problem and stop your bitching.

Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
Having to pay for the service and then PAY AGAIN for service call to fix the fuckin' thing while its undergoing Beta testing is MORE than enough for bitching. Kewl how DTV has move the product improvement program into a customer funded activity. It MAY be ready for prime time in a year, before them, their BALLS in making the customer fund service calls is just laughable.
Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
Maybe for you. But I had no problems switching services. Zero.
I can't recall the last time I saw a TV commercial for this product (seemed like we were constantly bombarded by them last year especially during the football season last year).

That said, while I never entertained the notion of switching over to this service, I sure took time to enjoy the commercial itself.....that brunette model posing as the "genie" was smokin' hotttt!