Hobby phone

Fellow Hobbiest... Please help an older hobbiest, super low tech guy. What is and where do I find the best easy to use hobby phone? Would like to keep cost down, but more importantly I am interested in intuitative operation. Thanks in advance for your input.
I'm not a hobbyist, but there's a lot of threads about this in the Security section: https://www.eccie.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4
I got a Tracfone Samsung J3 Orbit Prepaid for $79 from Walmart. Always pay cash for the phone and prepay cards. I registered mined with a fake name and address and a email address I only use for contacting the ladies.
  • rico7
  • 02-27-2020, 01:59 PM
I got a Tracfone Samsung J3 Orbit Prepaid for $79 from Walmart. Always pay cash for the phone and prepay cards. I registered mined with a fake name and address and a email address I only use for contacting the ladies. Originally Posted by Eric586
This is what I did as well, however I didn't get the same phone as Eric. This was at least 5 years ago and I thought I would be smart by buying the cheapest available. I regret that decision, and I would recommend a phone that has decent screen size and usable keyboard as you'll be texting a lot.. You don't have to spend too much more, but don't cheap out like I did.
Around the holidays, I picked up a prepaid Mint Mobile SIM with 3 months of service included, for $30. You should be able to use this with any unlocked GSM phone (they provide service on T-Mobile's network, but I don't think a phone locked to T-Mobile will work, it needs to be unlocked). If you don't have a spare unlocked phone around, maybe pick one up at your local used electronics dealer, or off eBay or something.
Every Walmart, Best Buy, Large Grocery Stores, all sell the refill cards and phones. The one I use is old style flip phone to make phone calls and send text messages.

That is all you need.
I use my neighbors phone.
Gonna check out the Walmart route