curvy vs voluptuous: definitions please?

OK,

So I'm filling out this form on Eccie and it asks me to declare a body type...

I usually don't like to put "average" -- because what does that even mean? But if there was an "average", I'm probably not it -- I don't fit into a standard size chart. The things that come closest I would think would be curvy or voluptuous, but I honestly thought they meant the same thing.

Another word that is sometimes used interchangeably is "rubenesque" although, to me, that means slightly chubbier than curvy or voluptuous.

I have also been told curvy and voluptuous are just euphemisms for BBW, which in it of itself is sometimes a euphemism for overweight.

What do ya'll think?
Sophia, having spent time with you and soon to spend more time, I think that you may qualify for a new category: THFD! (Too Hot For Description) Or possibly: JRFM (Just Right For Me).
Knowing that you are NOT a bbw, lacking any other options, I vote curvy!
But that is just my personal observation.
Having seen you both in public (at the last local meet-n-greet) and BCD, I would have to say that, based on the terms you stated, you are closer to "curvy" as a description of your figure in my opinion.
However, I would say myself that you are actually more of a "slim". Neither "athletic" or "average" come to mind when I think of your figure. I think of "curvy" only because, in my mind, if you were just a silhouette head-on, you would appear "curvy".
So maybe a "slim and curvy" would work??? But you are very correct in saying that "average" just does not fit you.
You're "curvy," darlin'. But I prefer to think of you as "zaftig."

Monk
Ms. Sofia,

I may need to conduct a field study to determine my conclusion on which category better suits your description. But if you need an answer now I'd simply agree with Gentleman above that you're definitely THFD.
to me curvy (Beyonce/J Lo) is a woman that is not fat or even soft, but has some extra in the breasts and ass/thighs... voluptuous (Kim Kardashian) is a soft woman, with a little bit of fat everywhere, but not obese... rubenesque (ESPN sideline reporter Holly Rowe) is overweight, but she can still buy clothes in any store... BBW is a lady that has to buy clothes at a store that caters to larger women.
Sophia,

To answer your question, I view the terms you posted about differently than the rest of the world does today. I have an old fashioned view and here is how I view what you asked:
1. Voluptuous – Originally it meant busty as in D cup or larger.

2. Curvy – means, to me, that the woman has an hour-glass shape as in a 36-24-36 shape. What it really means is there at least a 12” difference between the Bust(not cup but around the back, under the breast) and Waist as well is there at least a 12” difference between the Waist and Hips.

3. Rubenesque – Has always been a polite term for overweight or BBW.
Like I wrote, that is how I view those terms but how they are used today is pretty much a mixed bag as a lot of folks use them synonymously with one another. Yet, you will find girls who insist they are Voluptuous but not BBW when they really are BBW.

It comes down to semantics really.
Sophia,

2. Curvy – means, to me, that the woman has an hour-glass shape as in a 36-24-36 shape. What it really means is there at least a 12” difference between the Bust(not cup but around the back, under the breast) and Waist as well is there at least a 12” difference between the Waist and Hips. Originally Posted by LonesomeDove
Good info... but I just have to differ with the 12" thing... don't you want to think of it more as a ratio than a fixed number of inches? I mean, if a woman is 6'1", a 12 inch difference in hips to waist means a lot less than on a woman who is 5'1". One other thing -- the 36-24-36 measurement that is often cites as "ideally beautiful" includes the bust, not under the bust. But most providers use the their bra size when touting their measurements, which makes it hard to compare to the 36-24-36 standard. A woman who has the 36-24-36 measurements has a waist to hip and waist to bust ratio of .66... so if you multiplied that by the hips of a larger or smaller, woman, you would get their "ideal" waist measurement -- assuming you find that measurement ideal.
Sophia, you are curvy in all the right places, just right for me. As you mentioned it is so subjective that it is almost a losing battle to try and describe one's self without feeling like you are not getting anywhere. You are very sexy, you are curvy, and the only way I can describe you is, well.... datygirl.

IB
OK,

have also been told curvy and voluptuous are just euphemisms for BBW, which in it of itself is sometimes a euphemism for overweight.

What do ya'll think? Originally Posted by Sensual Sophia
From a Webster's Dictionary standpoint they don't mean BBW or overweight. However, in this forum it has that connotation, unfortunately.

May I suggest your description break the mold: "appealingly soft", "pleasantly shapely", "silky and supple".
When you make it to the coast we'll pursue this further during our private consultation. You'll find my rates vey reasonable.
When it comes down to it.. I look at the providers photos to determine her body type... I will go off of others descriptions to get a general idea... but photos tell the most.
Sophia;
Only having seen your photos and you at the socials, I find your body style to be classic Hollywood beauty before the Twiggy and drug-addled starlets weighing less than 90 lbs. became popular. To me you are tall, statuesque, very nicely curved. It makes me angry that in today's Hollywood image, poor Marilyn, Jane Russell, Bridget Bardot, Jayne Mansfield don't measure up because they weren't dress size 0; they were stunning then, and I for one appreciate that classic beauty in women. It implies health and happiness. I don't know what you would call it that body type; "classic Hollywood beauty" body type seems a bit long.

IMHO
May I suggest your description break the mold: "appealingly soft", "pleasantly shapely", "silky and supple". Originally Posted by rjdiner
Now if they just made the lil boxes ya check for those...
Good info... but I just have to differ with the 12" thing... don't you want to think of it more as a ratio than a fixed number of inches? I mean, if a woman is 6'1", a 12 inch difference in hips to waist means a lot less than on a woman who is 5'1". One other thing -- the 36-24-36 measurement that is often cites as "ideally beautiful" includes the bust, not under the bust. But most providers use the their bra size when touting their measurements, which makes it hard to compare to the 36-24-36 standard. A woman who has the 36-24-36 measurements has a waist to hip and waist to bust ratio of .66... so if you multiplied that by the hips of a larger or smaller, woman, you would get their "ideal" waist measurement -- assuming you find that measurement ideal. Originally Posted by Sensual Sophia
True it is a ratio that has been studied for some time in a sociological sense but I just did not recall the actual ratio. I was using a hard example but the ratio is the better way of describing what I wrote since you are correct on the different dimensions of a woman’s body and how it is relative.

I don’t recall the actual way a women’s breasts gets measured for fitting of a bra but I know it is very close to this: You take the difference between an around the back measurement that goes under the breast from an around the back measurement that goes over the breast which gives you the cup size and final total number as in a 36-24-36.
Physical Description: Sophia has a really cute face. Kind of what I'd fantasize a sweet, fresh-faced Midwest farm girl would look like. Wholesome. Not in that "polygamy ranch" kind of way just super-cute and innocent. Pretty. Fantastic smile, sexy wavy hair, beautiful blue eyes and the smoothest skin. From her web site: "I stand 5'8" tall, weigh 150 lbs, measure 36C-28-40 and exercise regularly. If you like a skinny girl, I'm probably not your cup of tea. But if you like a healthy woman with dangerous curves and natural breasts, then I'm just what you're looking for."

She's got pics on her website that are accurate. Boobs are natural and they are spectacular. A fleshy ass. Which means there's some booty there. But it's not one of those out-of-shape, jiggly, cellulite butts. It's a round, juicy ass. I don't see BBWs or anything even remotely close to BBW. If you do, that's fine. I'm pretty honest and pretty picky so when I say she's got an ass, that's not a euphemism for lard. Her pictures aren't hiding anything. Have a look. I'll wait here. Dum-dee-dum... Okay. See? Juicy. Told you. And she's got the softest skin...

So I'd say you're juicy. But if the choices are curvy or voluptuous, you're curvy.