And the count down begins to our next President of the United States

5 more days till we can say President Trump - God, I love saying that.
I weep for the country
  • Noid
  • 01-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Can I get a pint of those liberal tears to oil my guns?
I did too - 8 years ago.

I weep for the country Originally Posted by Jeffrey Spaulding
Yay! Russia is coming to town! Here comes the lobbyists right behind the Russians. Wait, oh my goodness look, hypocrisy is coming too all smug and happy. Yay, our next puppet is only a few days away from being our next president. I wonder how twitter feels about it.
this should be interesting!! I am not sure whether to laugh or cry!!
and closely following in those footsteps will be the action to impeach.. we just don't know for what reason YET... YAY Pence.
Hail to the chief!
and closely following in those footsteps will be the action to impeach.. we just don't know for what reason YET... YAY Pence. Originally Posted by nuglet
Good luck with that considering who owns the House of Representatives (and the Senate).
Good luck with that considering who owns the House of Representatives (and the Senate). Originally Posted by gfejunkie
That is true. Congress would never impeach him. But a good amount don't like him and Pence is more inline with their beliefs. So I don't think Trump is impeached but I can almost guarantee that he will resign before the 4 years are up.
That is true. Congress would never impeach him. But a good amount don't like him and Pence is more inline with their beliefs. So I don't think Trump is impeached but I can almost guarantee that he will resign before the 4 years are up. Originally Posted by Milly23
Your logic escapes me. Why would any POTUS resign unless he knew he would otherwise be impeached (by the House) and convicted (by the Senate)? That's why Nixon resigned and Bill Clinton didn't.

In any event, it is truly astonishing and bizarre, to say the least, that people like you and nuglet are even talking about possible impeachment before the guy is even sworn in!

That's the kind of polarizing thinking that makes our politics so dysfunctional.
Your logic escapes me. Why would any POTUS resign unless he knew he would otherwise be impeached (by the House) and convicted (by the Senate)? That's why Nixon resigned and Bill Clinton didn't.

In any event, it is truly astonishing and bizarre, to say the least, that people like you and nuglet are even talking about possible impeachment before the guy is even sworn in!

That's the kind of polarizing thinking that makes our politics so dysfunctional. Originally Posted by lustylad
Well I thought it was obvious when I said he wouldn't be impeached but resign that meant that like with Nixon, he would get out before impeachment came. Congress wouldn't impeach him but they would definitely let him know that he needs to bow out. He's not well liked by his side and they would jump at the opportunity to get Pence in. As for talking about it now, when you have things like Russian interference, violating the emoluments clause, to name a few things. So yes there is a real possibility for that.
Well I thought it was obvious when I said he wouldn't be impeached but resign that meant that like with Nixon, he would get out before impeachment came. Congress wouldn't impeach him but they would definitely let him know that he needs to bow out. He's not well liked by his side and they would jump at the opportunity to get Pence in. As for talking about it now, when you have things like Russian interference, violating the emoluments clause, to name a few things. So yes there is a real possibility for that. Originally Posted by Milly23
You're crawfishing again. First you said "Congress would never impeach him." Now you say members of his own party "would jump at the opportunity to get Pence in." That means not only would Congress impeach him, but you think they're chomping at the bit to do so.

Given what you've seen of Trump's personality, do you really think he would ever resign, short of impeachment, simply because a few members of his own party turned against him? If so, you're delusional.

I'm truly grateful that we have an astute Constitutional scholar like you here to tell everyone Trump has already violated the emoluments clause before he even takes office. When do we start impeachment proceedings - Jan. 21?
You're crawfishing again. First you said "Congress would never impeach him." Now you say members of his own party "would jump at the opportunity to get Pence in." That means not only would Congress impeach him, but you think they're chomping at the bit to do so.

Given what you've seen of Trump's personality, do you really think he would ever resign, short of impeachment, simply because a few members of his own party turned against him? If so, you're delusional.

I'm truly grateful that we have an astute Constitutional scholar like you here to tell everyone Trump has already violated the emoluments clause before he even takes office. When do we start impeachment proceedings - Jan. 21? Originally Posted by lustylad

I'm not "crawfishing". Sorry if you can't understand, let me explain it better for you. Congress wouldn't impeach Trump because he's the leader of their party ergo it looks bad for them. So what they would do is tell him that he's dead to rights but he can resign and not go through the hearings. And guess what, he would do it. The guy didn't want to do all the work of being president, which is why he told Kasich he could be VP and be in charge of foreign affairs and domestic affairs (i.e. the President) and he would be out making America great again. He can hang his hat on winning and make lots of money before leaving. For him it would be a win/win. And for Congress they wouldn't lose his voting block and they get Pence in who's more inline with traditional Republicans. And if you think members of his party aren't already against him, you're delusional. And it's members with pull.

I wouldn't call myself a Constitutional scholar but I know a little about it. But yes he's in violation if he doesn't divest from the company. Let me ask you, the point of the clause is that the president can't receive compensation from foreign countries right? Well Trump Tower, which he owns, there is a tenant there, a bank that is owned by the government of China. So the rent they are paying goes into the pocket of the president. China = foreign government. Rent = compensation. Trump = president. I think that means it violates that clause. But I mean I could be wrong. Also foreign countries have been changing reservations to his D.C. hotel (which is a whole other issue) in hopes it will carry favor. That's kinda giving money to him right? See his reasoning of giving all profits from foreign hotels doesn't prevent foreign countries from giving money to him from US hotels. But yeah he hasn't violated it yet because he is president. But since he has said he won't divest, the second he becomes president he will be in violation. But hey, it's only a clause in the Constitution, no biggie.

And no the impeachment ceremonies can't start on the 21st because Trump said he's taking the weekend off, his first day in office isn't until Monday (although he said he wouldn't take time off because it's too important, the job of running the country).