Memorial day 2012

Desert Storm was a bitch, endless waiting and then fierce fighting.

I honestly don’t know the day it ended but I do know when it ended for Bob.
I seen the sweat on his forehead and thought holy shit that sucked.
Our mouths were dry as hell and we wanted to scratch our eyes out they were so itchy.
We both looked at each other and smiled. Both thinking the same damn thing, we are alive.

A few hours later our LT. came up and gave us a warm beer to split, I asked for a smoke
and he handed me a half of a cigar that he fumbled out of his shirt pocket. “All I got” he said.
Bob and I split the beer and smoked that nasty ass cigar laughing like a couple of 12 year old
school girls talking about what we would do when we got back, How many women we are going
to have sex with because we both know that we could have our pick (Foolish children we were)
I picked Morgan Fairchild.

Then we were off to another fight
I don’t need to go into details about the fight we were in; they all seem about the same.
They last forever and seem to be 5 minutes. If you have ever been there you know what I mean.
Bob was shot 3 hours later he died in my arms.
It took awhile for him to die; I stayed with him of course, talking about how he was going to make it.
I seen his eyes clouding up, He asked me if he was going to die, I looked at him,
smiled and gave him a hug and kissed his forehead, Held him tight, “Not alone” I said.

I have a warm beer every year, I drink half. It is hard to drink it down, Not due to the taste.
I hate this holiday, I am jealous that people are in the park cooking and laughing and having a great time,
I sit and clean my windows, Steam clean my carpets, plant my garden away from everyone.
I wait for the phone to ring, It does every year.

I always know the sound of the ring. His daughter looks just like him.

Thank You for sharing. and Thank You for your service, and Bob for giving his life so we may all enjoy a hot beer any day we choose.....................
We should and MUST all get some Good Pussy this Memorial Day Holiday weekend in Honor of our Fallen Brethren. It is what they would want and would expect us to do. No doubt...thanks for sharing GY6. I never take Good Pussy for granted. To Bob! tonight will be for you!
That was very touching. Thanks for posting.
To all who put on the uniform and protect our way of life. THANK YOU!!
It is very sad that the majority of Americans have lost sight of the real meaning of Memorial Day. I am grateful to all soldiers, past, present, and future for fighting for OUR freedom. May those who've passed away Rest In Peace.
With each generation comes personal and close memories of who we remember the most...with me it was my buddies in the Viet Nam War...A lot of us survived that war in some way or another, but a lot of them fell along the way, it is those that I pay a special tribute and to all the other heroes who have fallen I salute you with the same passion....
This is a very touching post. It is true, many Americans are so farm removed from the realm of armed service members that they do lose sight of the meaning of the holiday, myself included. I appreciate your hard work and every other soldier that ever donned fatigues battling for our freedom. I salute you!
To all who put on the uniform and protect our way of life. THANK YOU!! Originally Posted by Texasquest

Amen to that! I have nothing but the highest respect for the men and women of this country who defend and protect it!
Originally Posted by safire_sweet
+100000000000000000000
  • Mokoa
  • 05-26-2012, 01:26 PM

On this Memorial Day...

Never forget!

OMG, you have me weeping at this ungodly hour... reminds of my uncle's stories who served in Vietnam.

Thank you for your service. It's stories like this that make it clear we don't know the extent of your sacrifice.