China

• Tiny
  • 04-23-2021, 08:58 AM
This is a long but riveting story of a young woman's journey through re-education camps in Xinjiang. Parts sound like a Chinese version of Orwell's novel, 1984.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...wn-in-xinjiang
We should send Lebron James there. At least he’ll get some sort of education.
We should send Lebron James there. At least he’ll get some sort of education. Originally Posted by bambino
one way ticket paid for by nike
Stop if you've heard this story before. The American President, the Chinese President and the President of Russia walk into a bar for a talk on climate change and what to do about it. The new American President decided he would decimate the American economy throwing thousands out of work and raising energy cost by proposing a 52% reduction in Green House Gases by 2030, twice as much as Obama had proposed.

The President of China said, Uh! No, we have 1.4 billion people to feed and keep warm so we won't be cutting back at all. As a matter of fact we will continue installing a new coal fired plant every week for the rest of the decade. Come 2030, we'll evaluate where we are at that time. IF we can start our reduction we will.

The American President got on his knees in front of the President of China and thanked him for even talking to him.

The Russian President was to busy rolling on the floor laughing to comment.

We are truly fucked people. And remember, you are the ones who said "nothing could be as bad as Trump".
This is a long but riveting story of a young woman's journey through re-education camps in Xinjiang. Parts sound like a Chinese version of Orwell's novel, 1984.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...wn-in-xinjiang Originally Posted by Tiny

Tiny, that was waaaay too long. I got through the first section and could guess the rest. So let me guess, China is exactly like Texas. Am I right?

The writer's first language isn't English. Not a slight, but a guess. It became too burdensome to get through.

Once again, Texas’s board of education exposed how poorly we teach history

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...teach-history/

The decision to pare down the curriculum is a wise one. Texas students are required to study so many historical figures, groups and events (over 90 possibilities are listed in the fourth-grade standards alone) that it encourages a superficial examination of any one of them. Rather than deep study of cause and effect, young Texans come to equate history — and other fields within the social studies — with the joyless pursuits of chronicling and summarizing.

And yet, the removal of two women, one emblematic of early disability movements and the other our nation’s first female major-party presidential nominee, once again reveals that these are politically driven choices to favor a conservative, religiously inflected curriculum rather than educational ones designed to encourage critical thinking and analysis. The result is a curriculum that does a poor job of teaching the complexities of American history and does little to inspire students to engage with history in ways that are important to building a brighter American future.

Texas’s frequently bizarre and sometimes entertaining public education debates can encourage all of us to evaluate whether the history being taught in our schools offers learners a sense of a usable past. Only when that happens will our students have a full and fair understanding of their country and an invitation to becoming the deepest-thinking citizens they can be.

Conservative activists in Texas have shaped the history all American children learn

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...hildren-learn/

By the 1970s, the turbulent history of the past two decades had to be included in the textbooks. In Texas, conservative activists transformed their approach, shifting focus from critiquing already-written textbooks toward a wholesale takeover of the bidding and selection process. Most significantly, they targeted the content guidelines, a set of basic instructions given to publishers upon which to base their books.

These guidelines had never been overtly left wing. They had always called for books to be “patriotic” in character. Indeed, with titles such as “The Glorious Republic” or “Land of Promise,” and with covers adorned with bald eagles and fluttering stars and stripes, there was no mistaking them for anti-government propaganda. But the definition of patriotism on which they were based reflected a bipartisan, postwar consensus of liberal internationalism.

Meanwhile, in Austin, conservative activists continued attending the public hearings on textbook content and lobbying hard for their version of the past. To this day, by crusading against what they see as dangerous ideas, they continue to influence what children all over America are taught. National discourse over exactly what history should be carries on, but the most effective change has always happened at the grass-roots level — where local officials are more receptive to demands that curriculums reflect the values of their communities.

Trump’s pledge to create a commission to promote patriotic history should be understood within this longer history of textbook activism. It is designed to promote a sunny, uncritical vision of the past that the president’s base has been demanding, with much success, for decades, even as historians point out flaws in these politically infused narratives.
This message is hidden because eccieuser9500 is on your ignore list.
This message is hidden because eccieuser9500 is on your ignore list. Originally Posted by HedonistForever
Whenever I see that someone has been put on "ignore", I think it appears cowardly.

Really? You're afraid to see their posts?
  • Tiny
  • 04-23-2021, 07:52 PM
Tiny, that was waaaay too long. I got through the first section and could guess the rest. So let me guess, China is exactly like Texas. Am I right? Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
It's revenge eccieuser, for some of your links I've read. OK, to be honest, you've posted some very good videos, and if I have some spare time someday I'll do a "search" here on your username and watch more of them.

Xinjiang is nothing like God's Country, that is, Texas.

And since you're not going to finish the article I'll spoil the ending. After years of sheer hell, she catches a train to the Kazakhstan border. She's almost sure that border security's going to send her back to another re-education camp or goodness knows what. But after a 40 minute interrogation they let her through. She hops into a car driven by her cousin, rejoins her mother, then hops a plane to Bangkok where she goes to work in a brothel providing anal sex and golden showers. OK, just kidding about the last part. Actually she rejoins her mother and lives happily ever after, except for the nightmares.
  • Tiny
  • 04-23-2021, 07:58 PM
one way ticket paid for by nike Originally Posted by winn dixie
Actually Nike's pulling people out of Xinjiang. The U.S. and Europe won't let them source cotton from there any longer. But maybe Lebron could serve as some kind of a goodwill ambassador -- Nike sells a lot of shoes in China.

Granted, he could use some education in what a police state is really like.
Why are you singling out Texas? I would guess that over 50% of high school and college graduates are incompetent in the United States.

I'm living proof of that. I have an advanced degree in STEM, and I'm a fucking retard.
Whenever I see that someone has been put on "ignore", I think it appears cowardly.

Really? You're afraid to see their posts? Originally Posted by pfunkdenver

I'm #1 on his ignore list. The fact that he has to tell the board that he ignores me, is not ignoring me. Maybe not reading my posts, but still ignoring me by telling us he's ignoring me.

I'm radical. Funny. Incisive. Divisive.

He can't handle the truth because sometimes I get intoxicated and spew my garbage. He likes to sit in his chair and just stare at the TV. Never bothering to find the remote because the channel never changes anyway. When he turns off the set, the FOX logo is burned into the plasma.

He was another easy one to figure out. Like I B Hankering. Who, I guess, still lurks around here. I call him Ranky. As in Rancor. Hankering rancoring Ranky. Conservatives of a certain age who don't know how to deal with a true Liberal. Capital L. So they ignore me. Or just run away.

I still remember when FoxForever took me serious when I posted "Schiff for Vice". That got him.

As for my ignore list, thankfully I don't have to ignore him. oeb11 is banned for now. He's not funny. Never changes his tune. Just the same tropes and diatribes.

winn and Waco are fun to mess with. Waco more so. The former is just a young, exuberant nationalist who never brings facts to the table. dilbert firestorm was closer to the center in my estimation. Another one who would engage in the hilarity.

As to the topic: I just couldn't read that long-ass human interest story. Especially when I didn't find it especially interesting.
It's revenge eccieuser, for some of your links I've read. OK, to be honest, you've posted some very good videos, and if I have some spare time someday I'll do a "search" here on your username and watch more of them.

Xinjiang is nothing like God's Country, that is, Texas.

And since you're not going to finish the article I'll spoil the ending. After years of sheer hell, she catches a train to the Kazakhstan border. She's almost sure that border security's going to send her back to another re-education camp or goodness knows what. But after a 40 minute interrogation they let her through. She hops into a car driven by her cousin, rejoins her mother, then hops a plane to Bangkok where she goes to work in a brothel providing anal sex and golden showers. OK, just kidding about the last part. Actually she rejoins her mother and lives happily ever after, except for the nightmares. Originally Posted by Tiny
Why are you singling out Texas? I would guess that over 50% of high school and college graduates are incompetent in the United States.

I'm living proof of that. I have an advanced degree in STEM, and I'm a fucking retard. Originally Posted by Strokey_McDingDong
Those who can, do. (You have to see the whole classroom scene.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB4-NigiTkI

Two great senses of humor. Tiny's alternative ending made me cough as I laughed. And the self described retard deserves an applause. So, here's a couple of videos for the both of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h5zurZsIQY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4qS4bRIJVI
Our version of the past.

Yes, a bunch of land grabbing speculators more or less took Texas from Mexico.

But the proof is in the results. Texas became the greatest State in the greatest country on the Planet. Just think what a shithole it would be if it had stayed part of Mexico.

Really? You're afraid to see their posts? Originally Posted by pfunkdenver
Depends on utility, I personally like to ignore the Q-posters who just ramble on in nonsense.

I'm living proof of that. I have an advanced degree in STEM, and I'm a fucking retard. Originally Posted by Strokey_McDingDong
Well at least you admit it. It saves a lot of people the trouble of having to tell you, lol.