aging parents?

so has anyone here moved an aging parent to town? what sort of senior housing is out there for a woman of 74 who can be independent? this housing market is so hot now, I am afraid there won't be much in her budget. Dealing with an aging mother is a full time job. I am lucky I have the flexibility to help her as much as I do. Anyone else dealing with aging parents now? I am glad she is still with me but the idea of moving her to town is just a bit overwhelming.
  • Loxly
  • 05-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Investigate all assisted care facilities. Most will count maintenance and maid staff in their staff to patient ratio. Not to mention dehydrating the patients, if they are dehydrated they do not pee ... It gets ugly, damn ugly ...
A place for mom is good, senior helpers also. Yes, its full time but, you were full time once. Depends in where you are, if she has some income, there are decent control rent, independent living apt/condos in the metro areas. Your now in a special group of people, tight knit, usually well versed.
Sue, you have my sympathy. I went through the same drill with my mom 3 years ago.

I checked out a large number of South Austin assisted living and nursing care facilities. Most of them left quite a bit to be desired. The conditions in even some of the middle-priced tier were pretty depressing.

The facility I ended up selecting was the Summit at Westlake Hills (at the corner of MOPAC and Bee Cave Road).

It was moderately expensive, but the thing I liked is that it has different degrees of assistance in different sections of the same complex -- everything from "pretty independent living" to increasing degrees of assistance to outright nursing home care. That way, if your mother starts to need more help, she can move around within the same complex, without you needing to pack her up and move her someplace else. Once the older folks settle in, disruption really upsets them.

Food was very good, housekeeping is excellent, the facility and social activities are nice and the staff is wonderful.

They have people on staff who can walk you through the financial options == medicare, medicaid, private insurance, state insurance, etc, etc.

PM me if you need any more details, or even contact info.
gee thanks y'all, will investigate all of this. we're dragged into old age kicking and screaming and my momma is no exception. I sure appreciate the feedback.
I recently saw a few new senior facilities at 1626/Onion Creek just west of IH35. No idea of pricing or services though. Good luck.
Im happy to be 1300 plus miles away from the nearest family member!
Try Accountable Aging, here in Austin.
http://www.accountableaging.com/

They are an independent third party that sells you nothing. For about the price of a quality FBSM+ per hour, they can help you assess your options and budgets and plan the transition. They basically work as a consultant for you and Mom. So no upselling of schtuff ya'll don't need.

Good luck