50th Anniversary Thread Of Apollo 11

https://www.pbs.org/video/loi-and-mo...yautoplay=true This looks interesting, Chasing the Moon has been excellent...pt2 went into great detail on Apollo 1 accident...and how the same accident had happened with the Russians prior to this
Not to get sidetracked but if you watched "Chernobyl" recently I don't have a lot of faith in the Russkies ability to bring a quality product to market. Who knows how many Russian aerospace fuck ups were kept secret from the western world. I was watching a special on all the diamonds the Russians were stockpiling and their security precautions were basically AK47s and chewing gum. Their sub fleet is still in tatters. IMO, half of their ICBMs are not combat ready. They know it, they know we know it, but the CIA likes to keep the threat "imminent."
WTF...YR on bancation again!!
WTF...YR on bancation again!! Originally Posted by bb1961

and you're off topic.
Americas ace of aces Major Richard Bong flew under the Golden gate Bridge and went on to make history as America's ONLY top gun!! He died at only 24.
From Wikipedia:

On June 12, 1942, Bong flew very low ("buzzed") over a house in nearby San Anselmo, the home of a pilot who had just been married. He was cited and temporarily grounded for breaking flying rules, along with three other P-38 pilots who had looped around the Golden Gate Bridge on the same day.[4] For looping the Golden Gate Bridge, flying at a low level down Market Street in San Francisco, and blowing the clothes off of an Oakland woman's clothesline, Bong was reprimanded by General George C. Kenney, commanding officer of the Fourth Air Force, who told him, "If you didn't want to fly down Market Street, I wouldn't have you in my Air Force, but you are not to do it any more and I mean what I say." Kenney later wrote, "We needed kids like this lad."[5] In all subsequent accounts, Bong denied flying under the Golden Gate Bridge.[6] Nevertheless, Bong was still grounded when the rest of his group was sent without him to England in July 1942. Bong then transferred to another Hamilton Field unit, 84th Fighter Squadron of the 78th Fighter Group. From there, Bong was sent to the Southwest Pacific Area. Originally Posted by bb1961
What was his death caused by?
What was his death caused by? Originally Posted by Levianon17

He was a test pilot for the P-80 shooting star jet, america's first jet. He was killed in the crash.

allegedly, he forgot to turn on the fuel pump which caused the jet to crash.
  • oeb11
  • 07-18-2019, 05:59 AM
Great pic - thanks GF
Some of these old pictures of people standing around talking to each other and not looking into their smart phones are just astounding.
Some of these old picture of people standing around talking to each other and not looking into their smart phones are just astounding... Originally Posted by gnadfly
Yes ... they were addicted to America continuing to be GREATER!

Then along came Obaminable leading the charge should-to-shoulder with his Boss-at-Home ... hating the United States!
Thankfully we got to von Braun before the Russians/Soviets did. With due respect to Dr Goddard, he probably pushed us ahead 5 years. In today's political climate, we probably wouldn't be able to use von Braun's work.