Router

I need a new router does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks
  • LNK
  • 04-15-2014, 10:49 PM
Bosch makes fairly good ones, Rigid also. I'm not a fan of Porter-Cable.

Are you looking for fixed, or plunge?

What's your budget?
sorry i was looking for computer router!
  • LNK
  • 04-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Wireless, I assume?

There are others on the boards who are undoubtedly more familiar with current offerings than me.

I will offer only this advice, stay far away from Linksys. I have had nothing but trouble with them. Every time someone talked me into trying them again for some project somewhere, I regretted it later.
I dunno - I've always had pretty good luck with Linksys (aside from my Linksys wireless access point - with no routing functions in it - that jumps off into never-never land once every few months and needs to be power-cycled to fix it...). Not sure what problems you've had, but maybe you'd like it better if you reflash the firmware with DD-WRT or Tomato? (Warning, not for the faint of heart! If you don't know what "reflash with DD-WRT or Tomato" means without Googling it, this is probably not something you want to be trying to do... )
Cnet posted an article a couple days ago on wireless routers.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/networkin...eless-routers/

The key will be what you're using it for. Nor did you say wireless or wired. Assuming wireless, make a list of the equipment that you'll be using with it, and you then have a spec list to go shopping with. Check to see if you have equipment that needs the old A or G frequencies, and if so, shop very carefully. The new "AC" routers almost all have the just outdated "N", but very few have the old A or G. So, again, check your existing equipment. Also perhaps multi-channel if you have a lot of toys. And use a security code.

Frankly, all are made over on the Pacific Rim, so just pick the options you need. I have several different wireless routers sitting at client's places, It all depends on what a client needs and what their budget is. And I'll admit that whenever I'm at the toy store, if there's something on sale, and I'm out of spares to replace, or setup client equipment on short notice, I'll pick up whatever, as long as it's decent.
I suggest getting the paparouter, found at paparouter.com
  • LNK
  • 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM
I dunno - I've always had pretty good luck with Linksys (aside from my Linksys wireless access point - with no routing functions in it - that jumps off into never-never land once every few months and needs to be power-cycled to fix it...). Not sure what problems you've had, but maybe you'd like it better if you reflash the firmware with DD-WRT or Tomato? (Warning, not for the faint of heart! If you don't know what "reflash with DD-WRT or Tomato" means without Googling it, this is probably not something you want to be trying to do... ) Originally Posted by laserface
I have no issues flashing firmware, or playing with different flavors of replacement firmware, but for the garden-variety user who wants to plug it in, have it work, and forget it, best not to go there.

I liked Linksys up until Cisco bought them, and their stuff just went downhill after. Cisco stuff is great, but that's a whole 'nother world.

I put Linksys stuff into a bunch of (SOHO) customer networks, because that was what the people I worked for spec'd. And then I had to go out and figure out what was fucking up when things went tits-up. More often than not, it was the Linksys stuff.

Maybe they've improved, but I've been burned so very many times by them that I'm not willing to go there anymore.

There are lots of choices out there.
thanks everyone !
  • Mokoa
  • 04-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Both Linksys routers I have had worked like champs. The first one was a G wireless router and after a couple years I replaced it with an N wireless router only because I wanted the increased performance. Setup was easy as well. Especially for the N router because part of its setup process created install files on a USB flash drive so you can take it and install the necessary stuff onto every computer you want connected without hassle.

Great stuff.
They made Linksys for home users.

Any one in IT field will open them and throw the CD away it came with and open it up through IP address and edit the settings.

For those IT guys, WRT is the way to go. For a user that wants plug and play with ok support go with Linksys.

Netgear newer models tend to over heat and lock up.
Linksys (now owned by Cisco) is good, Dlink is not bad.. I prefer EnGenius myself

The question really is, what are you trying to do other than route? Are you looking for a specific function because even the cheapest router will work just fine.
  • BR-8
  • 04-24-2014, 10:28 PM
I have had several Linksys and Dlink wi fi routers and have always at some point been disatisfied with them; usually initially!
After much research, I bit the bullet and bought this one at Best Buy for $199... it is now $179; Asus Model: RT-AC66R, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dual-ban...639317&st=asus router&cp=1&lp=2.
Best I,ve had by far, easy set up, great range (biggest plus for me).