A defense of cell phone privacy

So... if you have a smart phone, make sure you put a passcode on it. Then uncle Leo has to go to a judge...

http://news.yahoo.com/justices-warra...--finance.html
Yes got a passcode on mine,,,and by the time they go thru all the trouble to get you too unlock your phone,,,you can play stupid and forget the passcode due to all the stress. There's got to be a way a outside compute can send something to your phone to erase everything.
Yes got a passcode on mine,,,and by the time they go thru all the trouble to get you too unlock your phone,,,you can play stupid and forget the passcode due to all the stress. There's got to be a way a outside compute can send something to your phone to erase everything. Originally Posted by Worldtravler
...on an iPhone, you can set it to erase if someone tries a wrong code 10 times...only AT&T can decrypt your passcode, thus forensic technicians will be able to as well...
...on an iPhone, you can set it to erase if someone tries a wrong code 10 times...only AT&T can decrypt your passcode, thus forensic technicians will be able to as well... Originally Posted by giteneny
Yes it's IPhone, do you just go to settings and put that adjustment in. It's a iPhone 5. I guess before you hand your phone over quickly hit 10 wrong passcodes
There are some other apps that let you do remote wipe. Not sure of the legal ramifications if you do it once they have possession of it.
A legal search will turn up what is in the phone and also if served on the carrier will allow deleted messages (only certain carriers. AT&T does not store this information and I have gotten conflicting stories from Sprint and Verizon themselves but have had it verified by a legal eagle buddy both do keep such information). But it is good to know the Supreme Court actually stood up for privacy rights in this day and age.
Yes it's IPhone, do you just go to settings and put that adjustment in. It's a iPhone 5. I guess before you hand your phone over quickly hit 10 wrong passcodes Originally Posted by Worldtravler
Settings -> General -> Passcode -> Erase slider button (bottom of the screen)
Settings -> General -> Passcode -> Erase slider button (bottom of the screen) Originally Posted by giteneny
Got it thanks!