Cell phone security-Cop proof your phone

This is a must watch for anyone with a smart phone. Although a couple years old, with some of the recent stories on the boards, still a current topic. Also, does everyone have a burn app on their phones?
Thanks for the recent post on the national board to:
Kinzee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVCR...0&noredirect=1
I watched a 7:33 video to learn that I should put a password on my phone and don't disclose it!

The important question is, why do the police have the authority to search my phone?
First off, there is no way to "Cop-proof" your phone. If they want in the phone, they get a Search Warrant and forensically examine the phone. If you do not provide a password, they get a court-order and then you decide if it is worth your time to sit in jail for Contempt or you give up the password.

After they have the phone and you use a remote-wipe of the phone, then you are hindering an investigation.

The way to use your phone is to keep very little info on the phone itself. Delete, delete, delete.

The whole subject of securing smartphones, pops up daily all over the forum. In this day and age, if people do not understand, nor care, to secure their phone, then it is on them when it goes horribly bad.

Here are some guidelines. I am not listing specific programs because of the many different phone OS's out there. Search in the applicable app store. I am not able to trouble-shoot anybodies phone in this matter so, please, no PM's.

How to Use a Smartphone Wisely If You Are a Hobbiest.
- always lock the phone using the factory security
- install an App Lock program and use it also
- install an App Hiding program and use it absolutely
- use a text-only, internet-only number and only use it for the hobby. Hide it in the App Hiding Program
- use an email consolidator with an email account (the handle should be close but not exactly the same as your Eccie or P411 handle) that you only use for the Hobby. Hide it in the App Hiding Program
- never install/use the mobile version of any Internet-browser such as Yahoo, , Facebook, Instagram, etc. They are BAD JUJU and will slurp (yes that is the Tech Term) all of your phone data and contacts etc.
- if you use Google Voice, remember there is an entry on your Records Detail that shows the date, time and duration of the call but not the ultimate number you were dialing. I use GV as my primary contact number, so my GV number showing up on my details is not unusual. But I have not had to use it in the Hobby. My Text-only number has worked just fine for several years.
- NEVER EVER unlock your phone and hand it to someone. If you want to show pics, open the pic and hand the phone to them.
- REPEAT, NEVER EVER unlock your phone and hand it to someone.

Keep in mind that this protocol is aimed at the Hobbiest and his use of a SmartPhone, not a Provider.

Knowledge is Power!!
Hobby On!!
J: Nice recap, consider posting it on the national board.
Remember that scene in Predator where the alien, seemingly beaten, punches in a code into his wrist unit that starts a count down in his alien language? Sounds like a good app to have. Of course, no one will be able to enter the area again for about 120 years.
All good information and advice. Personally I think you are just asking for trouble if you use your personal phone for hobby activities. I don't care if you use google voice (do you really trust Google with your privacy) or whatever the latest "app" is.

Why not buy a $15 dollar throw away phone. Buy $10 bucks worth of minutes and your good to go for a few months. If you get in a bind, chuck it in the river. Always pay cash and there is no way to trace it back to you.
Because for some people, getting caught with a second phone would create more problems than it prevents.
All good information and advice. Personally I think you are just asking for trouble if you use your personal phone for hobby activities. I don't care if you use google voice (do you really trust Google with your privacy) or whatever the latest "app" is.

Why not buy a $15 dollar throw away phone. Buy $10 bucks worth of minutes and your good to go for a few months. If you get in a bind, chuck it in the river. Always pay cash and there is no way to trace it back to you. Originally Posted by swarmyone
Any phone company that you would recommend?
Any phone company that you would recommend? Originally Posted by mytash
Any would do, but I've always used Trac Phone. Last one I bought was only $10 bucks.
Because for some people, getting caught with a second phone would create more problems than it prevents. Originally Posted by KCQuestor
If a person can't figure out a way to hide a 2 inch by 3 inch item somewhere, somehow, they are a moron that shouldn't even so much as jaywalk.

The term "fuck up a wet dream" comes to mind in describing that sort of "special" person. .
Any would do, but I've always used Trac Phone. Last one I bought was only $10 bucks. Originally Posted by swarmyone
Is it possible buy a trac phone without giving them your name address and other info? I am new to hobby. Don't know a lot.
Thanks for the info
Very useful!! I try to be discreet and am always looking for new ways to do so
First off, there is no way to "Cop-proof" your phone. If they want in the phone, they get a Search Warrant and forensically examine the phone. If you do not provide a password, they get a court-order and then you decide if it is worth your time to sit in jail for Contempt or you give up the password.

After they have the phone and you use a remote-wipe of the phone, then you are hindering an investigation.

The way to use your phone is to keep very little info on the phone itself. Delete, delete, delete.

The whole subject of securing smartphones, pops up daily all over the forum. In this day and age, if people do not understand, nor care, to secure their phone, then it is on them when it goes horribly bad.

Here are some guidelines. I am not listing specific programs because of the many different phone OS's out there. Search in the applicable app store. I am not able to trouble-shoot anybodies phone in this matter so, please, no PM's.

How to Use a Smartphone Wisely If You Are a Hobbiest.
- always lock the phone using the factory security
- install an App Lock program and use it also
- install an App Hiding program and use it absolutely
- use a text-only, internet-only number and only use it for the hobby. Hide it in the App Hiding Program
- use an email consolidator with an email account (the handle should be close but not exactly the same as your Eccie or P411 handle) that you only use for the Hobby. Hide it in the App Hiding Program
- never install/use the mobile version of any Internet-browser such as Yahoo, , Facebook, Instagram, etc. They are BAD JUJU and will slurp (yes that is the Tech Term) all of your phone data and contacts etc.
- if you use Google Voice, remember there is an entry on your Records Detail that shows the date, time and duration of the call but not the ultimate number you were dialing. I use GV as my primary contact number, so my GV number showing up on my details is not unusual. But I have not had to use it in the Hobby. My Text-only number has worked just fine for several years.
- NEVER EVER unlock your phone and hand it to someone. If you want to show pics, open the pic and hand the phone to them.
- REPEAT, NEVER EVER unlock your phone and hand it to someone.

Keep in mind that this protocol is aimed at the Hobbiest and his use of a SmartPhone, not a Provider.

Knowledge is Power!!
Hobby On!! Originally Posted by jframe2
If a person can't figure out a way to hide a 2 inch by 3 inch item somewhere, somehow, they are a moron that shouldn't even so much as jaywalk. Originally Posted by Enchanterlingum
I could say the same thing about a person who couldn't hide a 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch icon on their smart phone...