Camera equipment, lenses, etc.

I recently purchased a new Canon T3i. Nice upper end amateur camera without major expense. I am using it for family photos, grand kids racing, cheerleader, and football action photos, and nature photos out in the area I live.
Now I am starting the search for all the extra goodies to go with it. I know we have plenty of professional photographers here so I am looking for expert advice on must have items.
Lighting for family photos? Lenses?
Lenses for longer distance action shots?

I took a few prom pics for a friends daughter under the trees at my place and they were outstanding. The stabilizer feature works well for a shaky old fart holding the camera. Even using just the built in flash turns out a great photo. I can only imagine the possibilities once I have the right additional goodies.
Get yourself a nice 50mm prime lens (or maybe even a 35mm prime) for portraits, and then think about an "all in one" for all the rest of your needs. Tamron's got a fairly affordable all in one (about $600 when I bought it last year), and I use the Sony version of it on mine. Something along the lines of 18 to 270mm for the all in one. For the non-professional, you'll find few occasions that you're not prepared for. Professional results? Sometimes, but not always. But you're not a pro, so....

The little prime will also make your camera much more effective in low light situations than the kit lens you're probably using now. The prime and all in one should run you around $700 total. Not a small amount, but you may never need to buy another lens.
I am going to go look at a 50mm f1.4 that was offered for sale via pm. I usually cross check prices with B&H online to see what a fair price would be.

I have seen a few 55-250mm on CL. May check one out.

Thanks for the info!
The lenses in the range of 50-200mm will usually be f.4 lenses. The all in ones not only fill in all the gaps all the way down to 15 to 18, but they're faster (3.5). I promise, that little bit makes a difference. And, fwiw, I didn't buy my all in one until after I went down the very path you're headed. So I wound up buying a 50-200mm lens for nothing. Get the right lens the first time. Between the all in one and a small prime, you will have virtually no gaps in your bag.

Whatever you decide, enjoy. I'm just an amateur like you, but I sure have a lot of fun with it.
Makes sense! This is why I asked as I figured someone had already figured out what steps to skip. Thank you!
I did find an 18-200mm IS 3.5-5.6. A little higher priced but not by that much. I also found the $10K lenses. I'll play amateur for a while!
Sounds like you got the bases covered. And that you knew about B&H coming in puts you way ahead of the game. Be sure and look in their used department. All kinds of cool things pop up there from time to time, sometimes refurbished with warranties.

Also check out the various user forums. There will be entire forums dedicated specifically to your camera. Just do a google search for something like T3i forums. I kind of envy you 'cause I remember how much fun this was in the beginning.
If you are not ready to spend the dollars with out a test drive, look at renting the lens, there are lots of places that do it and their prices vary greatly. I have not gone down the road of buys any lenses yet, but i think my first will be the all purpose like eccienewbie mentioned, then the prime. most of my shots are outdoors.
I never thought of renting a lens. Good idea.
I do quite a bit of outdoor pictures. My horses have been willing test models. And I spend a bit of time at outdoor BMX tracks.
I do have access to my son's 100mm macro lens when he is in town but if he and I are together, he takes the pics. He has been collaborating with a professional in Tyler on various weddings and family portraits so he has a better grasp on indoor lighting needs.
I recently purchased a new Canon T3i. Nice upper end amateur camera without major expense. I am using it for family photos, grand kids racing, cheerleader, and football action photos, and nature photos out in the area I live. Originally Posted by cheatercheater
Reading that my eyes locked onto that one word.....

If you run across any 18 year old cheerleaders, I'm sure there are plenty on here who would gladly pay a finder's fee to the point buying you whatever lenses you may desire.......
I suggest five accessories:

1. A 50mm f1.8 or f2.0 lens for portraits and close-ups. You need this for lighting and depth of field effects that you can't get with an f4.0 50-200 type of lens.

2. An external bounce flash. Built-in flashes suck. I never use them. Why have a good camera if your picture will look like it was taken with a disposable point-and-shoot? A bounce flash is an easy way to get high-end lighting effects.

3. A polarizer filter. Critical for outdoor shots in the sun if you want to eliminate glare and enrich colors.

4. A UV filter. When not using a polarizer, this is your general purpose lens protector.

5. A good mini tripod or monopod. There are times when you want a hi-res rock-steady shot that can't be achieved with a hand-held camera.

Have fun...
Reading that my eyes locked onto that one word.....

If you run across any 18 year old cheerleaders, I'm sure there are plenty on here who would gladly pay a finder's fee to the point buying you whatever lenses you may desire....... Originally Posted by LazurusLong
Always looking for an angle to work! I like the way you think, but these particular cheerleaders are just freshmen in high school.
Lust4xxxLife, thanks for the tips.
I have purchased the 50mm f1.8.
Researching colored filters to see which I need first. Do they attach to the lens even when using a hood? (showing my newbie dumbness)
I have borrowed a remote flash and an umbrella from my son. ( more along the lines of leasing as its sure to cost me something)
I have a tripod that was used only at Christmas with the camcorder. Thanks for the tip as I will get it out of the closet.
I read two hours last night on the features of the camera and confused myself even more. My son told me the white balance was going to be do easy and I now call BS! I bought the white balance caps for each size lens.
I really need a nekkid provider to give hands on instruction! It would take multiple sessions as i am a slow learner. But then I couldn't afford any equipment.
I think this is going to be fun!
If you decide to buy used studio lights be sure to get a radio trigger of some sort. The trigger voltage on some of the old lights is too high and could damage the camera if directly attached (not familiar with your camera specifically, don't know if it has a pc sync attachment etc.).

It's a fun hobby but can get expensive in both time and money if you let it. Excellent tutorials and feedback at photocamel.com, get a free account so you can see and post pix (different handle of course) and read absolutely everything Benji writes along with about half of what Ed writes.

I'm sure Canon has onboard control of multiple, dedicated strobes like Nikon does, that feature is great at family get togethers. I put a couple of strobes on high furniture like bookshelves etc, aim them at the white ceiling and use the camera to turn them up and down depending on which part of the room I'm shooting candids in. The extra fill light makes all the difference in the world.

A folding reflector or white foam core sheet (if you have someone to hold it) are great for outdoor shots.
Photocamel.... Now there's some reading material! First subject in the forum was white balance. And benji had some input. Thanks for the intel!
My camera does not have a pc sync. It has the ability for the flash to act as a wireless controller.
  • hd
  • 05-24-2012, 01:59 PM
I started with the T50 and learned as I moved into nature photog I started right off aquiring the better or best equipment, it pays for itself with all the banging around it takes. I had a couple of great bodies and a few L lenses. The bodies have since been replaced with digital, but my lenses are still the best, 15+ yo and adapable with Canon dig. bodies.
I rented telephoto lenses when needed, but there is so much eqiup. available to rent, try it out and buy as you can afford. There are many places local and the internet to research for good prices.

I never tried doing weddings or people since I just don't like dealing with keeping everyone happy, so good luck with that.

Have fun with it cheatercheater.