Open That Bottle Night (Once a year, enjoy that special bottle of wine)

http://www.openthatbottlenight.com/index.shtml

About Open That Bottle Night

(#otbn on Twitter)

Every year since 2000, on a special Saturday night in February, friends, couples and groups around the world get together to enjoy particular bottles of wine, champagne and spirits. The bottle that you enjoy, traditionally, is one that you have been saving for some special event that, so far, has never quite happened. Open That Bottle Night (OTBN) is the event you have been waiting for...the time when you are entitled to uncork that cherished bottle and enjoy the contents. It doesn't matter if the wine is expensive or low cost, white or red, or even if it is still good. What matters are the memories.

This website exists to promote Open That Bottle Night. If you have stories of your 2008 OTBN celebration to share, please email them to us so we can post them here. Please put "OTBN" in the Subject line to get past our spam filters. We would like to indicate your location, but will not publish your name or email address.

And, if you are looking for a gift for your special someone, a unique bottle of wine or a wine cooler for your existing stash will have you set for next year's Open That Bottle Night.
Origin of Open That Bottle Night

Open That Bottle Night was created by Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher wine@wsj.com) in the year 2000, and it has been celebrated every year since then. They are not affiliated with this website.
We're opening a bottle of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild 1990 and a pair of Pomerals as the back ups.

So what are you going to "crack" open?
In your "Thoughts on D&T" thread you mentioned people leaving...

I forget his avatar, but whatever happened to the fella that managed a wine shop/liquor store? He was a wealth of knowledge.
In your "Thoughts on D&T" thread you mentioned people leaving...

I forget his avatar, but whatever happened to the fella that managed a wine shop/liquor store? He was a wealth of knowledge. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Yeah, he was really good. I think his board name began with an "s." I kept a dissertation he did on whites, but not his board name.
runswithscissors was very knowledgeable on wine production, storage and selection.
Is this the guy?

http://www.eccie.net/member.php?u=3070

Here are a couple of threads he started in D&T:

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=23510

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=18773 Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
Yep. That's him.
runswithscissors was very knowledgeable on wine production, storage and selection. Originally Posted by Camille
Where has he been? Did he slip and fall?
Where has he been? Did he slip and fall? Originally Posted by pjorourke
the bad news is TTH is handling his case
What a fun event! Thank you for sharing this...I LOVE wine and although I'll be at a gallery opening and AIDS fundraiser tonight drinking what will likely be the lower end of the wine spectrum, I'll raise a glass and think of you drinking something exquisite!

Cheers!
What a fun event! Thank you for sharing this...I LOVE wine and although I'll be at a gallery opening and AIDS fundraiser tonight drinking what will likely be the lower end of the wine spectrum, I'll raise a glass and think of you drinking something exquisite!

Cheers! Originally Posted by LynetteMarie
So tell us about it. It is more about the people and memories than about the wine. But of course the wine is the cement between the rest of it. Got a link if any one wants to contribute to that AIDS charity?
The wine I had was lovely. Our fellow dinnner mates were late so it gave it more time to breath. We were celebrating one of the others birthday. It made for a good reason to open that bottle. It was French restaurant we had never been to before. The food was delightful. Nothing like good friends, good wine and good food.
The wine I had was lovely. Our fellow dinnner mates were late so it gave it more time to breath. We were celebrating one of the others birthday. It made for a good reason to open that bottle. It was French restaurant we had never been to before. The food was delightful. Nothing like good friends, good wine and good food. Originally Posted by SR Only
At my house that just means more for me
At my house that just means more for me Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I will NOT date you. If nothing else you'd NEVER pass my screening. Even with Ansley's references.
The wine I had was lovely. Our fellow dinnner mates were late so it gave it more time to breath. We were celebrating one of the others birthday. It made for a good reason to open that bottle. It was French restaurant we had never been to before. The food was delightful. Nothing like good friends, good wine and good food. Originally Posted by SR Only
That's assuming, of course, that you have friends (even good ones).

Where I live, there is really no topnotch restaurant. Top-o-the-line chain here consists mostly of Macaroni Grill or Logan's (chain steak house).

None of my acquaintances drink...especially wine (which I love). So, I don't drink when around them. If they do drink, it's a pedestrian beer.

Maybe next year I'll have the wine and good food, but probably again without the good friends.