Changing paradigmas in education

Hi !
I love these RSA animated stuff and wanted to share one of these. Unfortunately i have no text available so i hope it is ok to share a video for discussion? Its really worth it in my opinion but let me know if texts are a preferred method of discussion. I try to get a brief abstract though as well for this lecture.

I loved the part about ADHD made me laugh a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFc...layer_embedded

"This animate was adapted from a talk given at the RSA by Sir Ken Robinson, world-renowned education and creativity expert and recipient of the RSA's Benjamin Franklin award"
And here I thought a paradigms was twenty cents
I think ADHD is one of the most over diagnosed disorders today. Too many people don't want to take the time to actually discipline their children, so they put them on meds to "calm them down." Not many children on those drugs even have this disorder, and are affected by the side effects later in life. When I was growing up ADHD meant, you need your azz whooped.
AMEN London!!
I think ADHD is one of the most over diagnosed disorders today. Too many people don't want to take the time to actually discipline their children, so they put them on meds to "calm them down." Not many children on those drugs even have this disorder, and are affected by the side effects later in life. When I was growing up ADHD meant, you need your azz whooped. Originally Posted by London Rayne
I do think its over diagnosed as well. The article makes a good point with school just being too boring :-) so no one sits and waits anymore. I do think on the other hand its good that there is sufficient help when someone really has ADHD since its tough to handle. But it has to be more carefully diagnosed.
I love this video! I believe that ADHD is a heightened sense of creativity, and an exceptional ability to think outside the box and under pressure. That's why these children are really good at video games and anything they put their mind to. And when they're not parented well, they can be destructively unpredictable and impulsive.

I have always believed that parents should never leave the system to raise our children. True they get the basics, reading, writing, and 'rithmetic, and socialization. But we should have a separate curriculum for at home learning that promotes divergent thinking. Giving kids different options to form an opinion on various subjects, introduction to the arts, and sports, and advanced communication and socialization.

I also agree with the idea that the current education system was predicated on the idea of industrialism, and it only makes way for discovering if higher education is 'for you' or 'not for you'. Being a natural academic, I believe in learning, period. And you don't have to go to college to do it. I've been in the process of learning two new languages over the course of the last year to broaden my avenues. But what about those who barely made it out of high school, and have to find something profitable and makes us happy? I guess it's to the lower middle class with them then...

This gives rise to the question that is there a job for everyone? And not just any job, a profitable one? Are there some people just destined for minimum wage? Oh, this opens up several new cans of worms...

Great find, Nina!
I don't feel you are destined for a certain pay grade, but do believe we all have our own unique gifts and talents we should try to highlight. Many times people who are frustrated in their jobs stem from the fact that they are not following their real dreams, and/or trying to do something they are not gifted for. I might want to be an Actress, but maybe my talent is singing, writing, or comedy. I think as adults we would be better off if we just admitted we are not good at every single thing, and stop being jealous when someone else has what we want.
@ London

That's assuming that each person has gifts and talents. There are some that don't.
@ London

That's assuming that each person has gifts and talents. There are some that don't. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Now Chuckie, don't be so hard on yourself. You have gifts:
http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...ft#post1074437

@ London

That's assuming that each person has gifts and talents. There are some that don't. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
No...it is a FACT that every human is born with a certain talent, gift, etc. that he/she can do better than most others. It could be something as stupid as washing dishes or sealing envelopes, but it's still a talent.
@ London

May i suggest that this is quite un-american of you? Your country is the one that values uniqueness and where everyone "can make it" if you really work hard. Isn`t that the american dream? you sound like a jaded european much to my dislike :-) I think every person has gifts and talents. I think its how you enhance them that makes them valid.

I do agree that people with ADHD are most often the very talented artists and uniquely skilled people that can achieve great things. I do believe that our education system is too much based on industrialism to cater to individual needs. And the article portrays that in a fun way :-)
I love this video! I believe that ADHD is a heightened sense of creativity, and an exceptional ability to think outside the box and under pressure. That's why these children are really good at video games and anything they put their mind to. And when they're not parented well, they can be destructively unpredictable and impulsive.

I have always believed that parents should never leave the system to raise our children. True they get the basics, reading, writing, and 'rithmetic, and socialization. But we should have a separate curriculum for at home learning that promotes divergent thinking. Giving kids different options to form an opinion on various subjects, introduction to the arts, and sports, and advanced communication and socialization.

I also agree with the idea that the current education system was predicated on the idea of industrialism, and it only makes way for discovering if higher education is 'for you' or 'not for you'. Being a natural academic, I believe in learning, period. And you don't have to go to college to do it. I've been in the process of learning two new languages over the course of the last year to broaden my avenues. But what about those who barely made it out of high school, and have to find something profitable and makes us happy? I guess it's to the lower middle class with them then...

This gives rise to the question that is there a job for everyone? And not just any job, a profitable one? Are there some people just destined for minimum wage? Oh, this opens up several new cans of worms...

Great find, Nina! Originally Posted by Tiffani Jameson
I love your posts and i wholeheartedly agree! Its always wonderful to read your thoughts and insights.
No...it is a FACT that every human is born with a certain talent, gift, etc. that he/she can do better than most others. It could be something as stupid as washing dishes or sealing envelopes, but it's still a talent. Originally Posted by London Rayne
First: Nina, thank you for your compliments. Your diverse mind and interests just brings it out of me.

London, I so agree with this. But the fact is that most people don't develop or have the avenues to explore their talents. There are some kids that go their entire childhood without extracurricular activities. Busy or poor parents rob kids of their childhoods (sometimes, not always. I don't mean that I don't believe in children having responsibility. I'm talking about those of us who can identify over-responsibility. I carried a lot of weight at a time when I was supposed to be footloose. I think about what could and and wouldn't have happened if my mom had stopped having kids. Fertile bitch...). With other social mores that create mental prisons, it's a wonder that any of us find our way.

Like I said, there are so many directions we can go with this. One is with government trying to widen the middle class, one wonders if it is even possible from the bottom end. The present economy is proof that you can from the top end. Transcending tough situations require a desire, first and foremost. It's just a fact that without guidance and at SOME point in our lives realizing our potential for greatness (yes, even at sealing envelopes, London LOL) we will always be stagnant and complaining and lost.
It could be something as stupid as sealing envelopes, but it's still a talent. Originally Posted by London Rayne
But...but...this is your instruction:
THE DONATION SHOULD BE LEFT IN THE WASH ROOM WHEN YOU ARRIVE IN AN UNSEALED ENVELOPE, CARD, OR GIFT BAG
But...but...this is your instruction: Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
No worries. I think there are other ways London will have you use your tongue. Just consider it cross-training.