what went wrong with UTexas football

They are calling this article Pulitzer prize material up here and it is what I called several months ago ie see Waco's threads

What went wrong with Texas

http://www.statesman.com/sports/long...s-1250376.html
Interesting postmortem on Texas' year... an excerpt...
In dozens of interviews with people in or with direct knowledge of the football program, the answers are there. Almost all of these people spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Importantly, the coaches and staff all had a role in the collapse. As a group, they missed or ignored most warning signs along the road. Those warning signs pointed to problems, among them:
• A severe depression hangover from the loss to Alabama in the national championship game on Jan. 7, 2010. It was an exhausting disappointment to Brown, who had worked so hard to get his team to the championship and who told confidantes he was certain his Longhorns would beat the Crimson Tide.
• Brown had become withdrawn from day-to-day coaching, taking on a role akin to a CEO. He was disconnected from his team and his coaches.
• As the year progressed, fractures within the coaching ranks widened to the point where defensive coordinator Will Muschamp got into a heated argument with offensive coordinator Greg Davis after the loss to Iowa State.
• UT's recruiters had overestimated the talent of incoming players, particularly on offense. Coaches had resorted more to watching tapes rather than scouring the 1,400 high schools in Texas for the type of players that brought the Longhorns nine straight 10-win seasons.
• A switch to a running offense that the team was not built for.
• A lack of dedication in summer conditioning and training, culminating with an eye-opening struggle against Texas State in a 7-on-7 game in July.
• A shift in attitude by coaches, and players, from confidence to entitlement — a sense that the team was guaranteed victory and prestige.
• A lack of on-field competence.
One former player summed it up this way: "UT was just unprepared for the 2010 season. Coaches and players alike."
The bottom line: The UT team was flawed enough that its season was in doubt even as the players took the field at Reliant Stadium on Sept. 2 to play the Rice Owls. Many observers point to that game, which UT won by a closer margin than expected, as the sign that all was not well.
I have put last year behind me. 2011 is ahead and I bet another 10 win season is ahead for us. Mack will get it fixed!
Many of the coaches who were responsible for the winning years since Mack Brown has been there, have quit, received and taken other offers or just got fired, all for one losing session! Texas will always have one of the top recruiting classes every year, so they should be okay. I do not think that they will be elite, but just about anything would be better than last year!
Not the recruiting its the coaching. With that talent they should not even have a down year. Professional works.
Not the recruiting its the coaching. With that talent they should not even have a down year. Professional works. Originally Posted by pyramider
UT's recruiters had overestimated the talent of incoming players, particularly on offense. Coaches had resorted more to watching tapes rather than scouring the 1,400 high schools in Texas for the type of players that brought the Longhorns nine straight 10-win seasons

This and the fact that the 4/5 star jocks were not that talented

There is a radio guy up here that does some of the rankings. Now what does he know about football talent? But he says if zerou wants a guy he ranks him a 4/5 star. Hence the ranking services are not that good

Justin Blackman, the leading receiver in the country was ranked 137th wide receiver in the country coming out of high school
Not the recruiting its the coaching. With that talent they should not even have a down year. Professional works. Originally Posted by pyramider
Can you imagine what Gary Patterson could do with that kind of talent?
Uhhh they suck go sooners!!!
Now something I can chime in on. ut football has always relied on the talent of the kids out if high school to win their games. How do you find out if the kid has heart if he never gets into a street fight. How many yrs does ut load up with 5 star athletes that just seem to disappear thru college. It is the coaches job to develop these boys into premier athletes. They fail. Unless you get a Vince or Colt. I am not going to bash ut that is just the way it is. As long as Mack is calling the shots they better keep playing fla atl, rice and wyoming. See you in Dallas.
UCLA whacked them and we were terrible
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"No one can do less with more than Mack Brown."

Which is why my boys at OU passed on him twice.
What went wrong? They lost their New Mexican quarterback to the NFL and brought in a texan. OU still has theirs though so they are doing well.
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"No one can do less with more than Mack Brown."

Which is why my boys at OU passed on him twice. Originally Posted by Randy4Candy
so you took John Blake instead
can't have a SOLID program everyyear, they'll have one or two off years then they'll be right back to where they were.
can't have a SOLID program everyyear, they'll have one or two off years then they'll be right back to where they were. Originally Posted by DragginKnee32
But it's Texas. They can have any player in the state. Yet the Horns can't muster enough wins to get to a bowl game after going to the BCS title game the year before. Imagine all those sad t-shirt Texas fans with nothing to cheer about in December and January. It must have been terrible to have to sit at home while Baylor and SMU played in bowl games. Texas should always be solid enough program wise to muster six wins.
so you took John Blake instead Originally Posted by cptjohnstone

This, from a distinguished pimp for the school who kept Phil Cutchin on the payroll for 10 years...lol. Just shows to go ya how stellar Mackie-boy's rep and what an impression he made while at OU as an assistant.