Mindset List

Every year Beloit College in Wisconsin sends out a list to their staff to better enable them to understand the frame of mind of the incoming students. Most students entering college today were born in 1992. Here is a link to check it out. http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2014.php

A couple examples:

39. Pizza jockeys from Domino’s have never killed themselves to get your pizza there in under 30 minutes.
40. There have always been HIV positive athletes in the Olympics.
41. American companies have always done business in Vietnam.
42. Potato has always ended in an “e” in New Jersey per vice presidential edict.
thats just plain random
You know, Dan Quayle will never live down the "potatoe" incident, but in his defense, he was given the words at the spelling bee he officiated, and his key spelled it "potatoe". If you ever get a chance to view the video, you can see him questioning the spelling himself. We're lucky he was never President, but he had a lot more on the ball than he gets credit for.
While the list for this year was not as eye opening as others the fact that Apples have been around their entire life and Clint Eastwood has been a director really hit me hard.
I have seen the video in question and you can hear the teacher, off camera, saying "now add an e". Quayle just went along with it for whatever reason you can name; he wasn't thinking, he didn't want to embarrass teacher, etc.

As for his Senate career; he was the author of the SALT treaties. That was his thing; a foreign policy heavyweight with knowledge of nuclear weapons.
Dumb as a post. Galt you would defend Martin Van Buren, and James Buchanan if it suited your purpose.
I've attached a link to the forum guidelines. In general, the board rules are geared towards encouraging participation. Lets keep that in mind.

http://www.eccie.net/announcement.php?f=5
Dammit, Catnip. I defended Quayle first. Why not attack me? Sheesh. Try to get a little respect . . .
Actually, I felt Quayle got a bad rap also, not sure he was Presidential material, but not nearly as dumb as many believed and I would rather have Quayle anyday of the week vs. that mental giant Biden we have now.
You know, Dan Quayle will never live down the "potatoe" incident, but in his defense, he was given the words at the spelling bee he officiated, and his key spelled it "potatoe". If you ever get a chance to view the video, you can see him questioning the spelling himself. We're lucky he was never President, but he had a lot more on the ball than he gets credit for. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
It actually raised my opinion of Quayle. Before the potatoe incident, I didn't even think the man could read!
  • Bubba
  • 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
This thread isn't about Dan Quayle. Please keep responses focused on the original topic.
COG; I just felt that since people always blame you I would divert the comment to someone who deserved it.

Next Spiro Agnew will go through historical rehab. lol
#1 on the list - Few in the class know how to write in cursive.

So now us old people have a secret code only we can communicate in!