Hair extensions?

I have been toying with the idea of getting hair extension because I really miss my long hair, but I would like to get the opinions of everybody on here. What do you all think should I try extensions or just wait for my hair to grow long again on its own? Before I got my hair cut it was pretty long close to the middle of my back and I really do miss it and I just hate waiting for my hair to grow. Thanks everyone.
If you do get extensions make sure you ask to see some photos of extensions they've done so you don't end up with bad hair.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to do something different to your hair. I'm sure they will look fine.
Do they come on and off like a wig or are they semi-permanent? Can you wash them when you wash your hair? Unless it's as clean as natural hair I would say grow your own.
Good extensions are done with real hair and you can wash them and style them as you would your own. I've never had them done but I've seen some really bad ones and some I didn't even know were fake.
I've only had one girl I was with that I knew she had extensions. She wasn't in the hobby, just a regular girl. And this was several years ago. It was clipped on, and when I ran my fingers through her hair I came across them. It was bizarre and a little off-putting. They may be able to have a better clip these days, but those were like little aluminum c-clamps. And especially on this girl did nothing for her looks.
Thank you all! I have been doing some research and Ms. Alli is right the good ones use real hair and from what I can tell they use a sort of glue to attach them and after speaking to a few places you can wash them and pretty much treat it like your own hair. I also found that you can get hair that is already slightly curly which is what I am really wanting to get. I am still researching before and after pics of places in the area and have found a couple.
I have been toying with the idea of getting hair extension because I really miss my long hair, but I would like to get the opinions of everybody on here. What do you all think should I try extensions or just wait for my hair to grow long again on its own? Before I got my hair cut it was pretty long close to the middle of my back and I really do miss it and I just hate waiting for my hair to grow. Thanks everyone. Originally Posted by Miss_Mya
It's hard to tell what type of hair you have by looking at your pics...
If your hair is in good condition...but is not fairly coarse...I would definitely advise AGAINST extensions that are braided in, at least...
The braids can(and often will) do brutal damage. I had them at one point in time. I take care of myself; and followed all the rules for taking good care of extensions...
I still ended up with about 1/4 of my hair broken off when I took them out.
I would suggest talking to a stylist YOU TRUST before considering them, for sure.
The girl who did mine told me they wouldn't damage my hair at all(I'm sure she was happy with the extra money she got for doing them, too)...
My hair is just now(about 3-4 years later)getting to a point where it's back to 'normal'.
Thank you all! I have been doing some research and Ms. Alli is right the good ones use real hair and from what I can tell they use a sort of glue to attach them and after speaking to a few places you can wash them and pretty much treat it like your own hair. I also found that you can get hair that is already slightly curly which is what I am really wanting to get. I am still researching before and after pics of places in the area and have found a couple. Originally Posted by Miss_Mya
Fusion extensions are the kind(with glue) you mentioned...and I think they are a safer alternative to the braided in kind. I would still suggest talking to a stylist or two you feel will be honest with you...who really seem to know what they are doing, and ask for their opinions on what effect the extentions will have on your real hair when you decide to take them out.
I would not want to see what happened to my hair happen to another girl!
Thanks top! From what I can tell there is also something called seamless as well. I have found 4 places that I am going call and I know two of them do free consultations for hair extensions. You gave me a few more questions to ask them so thank you very much for that. I just wish my hair would grow faster.
  • Bubba
  • 09-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Moved here from the Discussions Forum as part of some housekeeping. The Discussions Forum is for hobby related discussions. Although hair or the lack there of in my case....is very near and dear to my heart is doesn't have anything to do with the hobby......LOL!!!
Thanks Bubba and sorry about that.
Thanks top! From what I can tell there is also something called seamless as well. I have found 4 places that I am going call and I know two of them do free consultations for hair extensions. You gave me a few more questions to ask them so thank you very much for that. I just wish my hair would grow faster. Originally Posted by Miss_Mya
No problem...I hear ya, and good luck with whatever you do