Giant Solar Eruption Shockwave Headed For Earth

Well, I don't want to scare you folks, but there is a giant solar eruption shockwave headed straight for our planet! (Gulp!)

Not sure what we can do about it, but hope it doesn't hurt our battered planet anymore than it is already!

http://www.businessinsider.com/giant...80310_Personal

Hopefully, the Earth's magnetic shield will serve to bounce the effect off the planet, but communications could be affected.
Hopefully, the Earth's magnetic shield will serve to bounce the effect off the planet, but communications could be affected. Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
New NCNS excuse: "I tried to call, honest, but a giant solar flare engulfed my phone's satellite..."
I was afraid that a giant solar eruption would serve as only an novel NCNS excuse for some of our busy ladies!

This thing could destroy multi-million dollar satellites and even kill astronauts if they get caught outside their space craft so it could cause some serious damage.

Let's hope that our resilient planet is able to bounce the solar eruption off without much damage to humans - and not cancel any sessions either!
Damn Klingons!
On the other hand, hope this doesn't cause some to raise their rates.

"Sorry honey, but my sunblock protection bill is going to go thru the roof."

"Sorry honey, but my half hour rate is based on the average outside temperature in Dallas."

"Sorry honey, but my pre-solar flare special expired last week. I guess the shockwave prevented your broadband from displaying my new rates."
Damn!

What a can of worms this thing could cause!

Let's hope the wretched klingons don't sneak in under cover of the eruption either!
Damn Klingons!
Hey...I thought Klingons were only on Uranus!
  • Mokoa
  • 08-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Actually Nikki, I was the one on your anus.

The Kningons come from a planet called Kronos.

Speaking of your Thread FastGunn...there was actually a cosmic tsunami that erupted Sunday night...and we got hit this afternoon around 1pm. Apparently, Alaska is going to have a beautiful Aurora Borealis as an outcome of the flare. I know I was having some internet issues this afternoon...anyone else notice any affects?

Here's the link to Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ls-sun-waking/

Mokoa...get in line!! (lol)
A Coronal Mass Ejection makes you think the sun has it's own testosterone, but thank God for our atmosphere, otherwise, we might be toast!

When a coronal mass ejection reaches Earth, solar particles stream down our planet's magnetic field lines toward the poles. In the process, the particles collide with atoms of nitrogen and oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere, which then glow, creating an effect similar to miniature neon signs.
The interaction of the solar particles with our planet's magnetic field has the potential to create geomagnetic storms, or disturbances, in Earth's magnetosphere. And while aurorae are normally visible only at high latitudes, they can light up the sky even at lower latitudes during a geomagnetic storm.
Fortunately for Earth-bound observers, the atmosphere filters out nearly all of the radiation from the solar blast. The flare shouldn't pose a health hazard, Golub told FoxNews.com.
"It's because of our atmosphere," he explained, "which absorbs the radiation, as well as the magnetic field of the Earth, which deflects any magnetic particles produced."
The radiation "almost never" makes it to ground, he noted, though pilots and passengers in airplanes may experience increased radiation levels akin to getting an X-ray.
The solar particles also could affect satellites, though scientists think that possibility is remote. Orbital Sciences Corp. believe a similar blast may have knocked its Galaxy 15 satellite permanently out of action this year.
This type of solar event has both government officials and manufacturers worrying.

NASA scientists warned recently that high-energy electric pulses from the sun could cripple our electrical grid for years, causing billions in damages. In fact, the House is so concerned that the Energy and Commerce committee voted unanimously to approve a bill allocating $100 million to protect the energy grid from this rare but potentially devastating occurrence.

The sun's activityusually ebbs and flows on a fairly predictable cycle. Typically, a cycle lasts about 11 years, taking roughly 5.5 years to move from a solar minimum, a period of time when there are few sunspots, to peak at the solar maximum, during which sunspot activity is amplified.

The last solar maximum occurred in 2001. The latest minimum was particularly weak and long- lasting.
The most recent solar eruption is one of the first signs that the sun is waking up -- and heading toward another maximum.
So...maybe in 2012? Yikes...we may be toast!
  • oden
  • 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM
And to think that solar activity is getting back to normal after about a ten year quiet that was causing many to worry that we were slipping into another "Little Ice Age".
@LikiNikki,

On a somewhat related note, I've always thought Aurora Borealis would make a great name for a provider in Alaska.
See....you never know what tomorrow will bring, so let's play today!

Don't put off call that hottie you have been drolling over from afar, thinking 'Some day...'

Carpe Diem!
On a somewhat related note, I've always thought Aurora Borealis would make a great name for a provider in Alaska. Originally Posted by TexasT
It totally would!

Or maybe...
Midnight Sun (of Asian descent?)
Trans-Alaska Tess (for a touring lady? I'd sure like to lay some pipe along her, hurr hurr hurr)
Samantha McGee (whose incall is always too hot?)