Happy Juneteenth

To yinz
Happy Juneteenth.
Thanks guys
Never heard of this until this thread and some guy on the radio this morning. More political pandering and another paid day off for government employees.
I have no objection to a holiday celebrating the end of slavery in the US. However they got the history wrong. Slavery did not end throughout the US with the Emancipation Proclamation (which as a practical matter freed exactly zero slaves). It did not end with the occupation of the Confederate states by Federal troops (It only ended in those areas that were occupied; it still was legal in the border states that did not secede. As a legal institution, slavery ended only with the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment (at least that was the legal end; de facto slavery still existed in the form of convict leasing programs that allowed authorities to arrest blacks for minor crimes like vagrancy and “lease” their labor to local farmers).

That amendment was ratified on December 6, 1865. Historically that is the most significant date to celebrate. Of course that falls right between Thanksgiving and Christmas so it never was going to be then. Between these holidays and using up vacation time, federal employees already have plenty of days off at that time of year.
Never heard of this until this thread and some guy on the radio this morning. More political pandering and another paid day off for government employees. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
Wow. That's a shitty way to look at it. I've known about it since I was a kid. I guess you weren't invited to the cookout. It becoming a federal holiday is long overdue. One of the most important holidays, IMO.
I don’t know anyone having a cookout.
To yinz Originally Posted by jmichael
Happy Juneteenth. Originally Posted by 1pittsburgh
Juneteenth?

What the fuck is Juneteenth?

I don't know anyone celebrating it.
Never heard of this until this thread and some guy on the radio this morning. More political pandering and another paid day off for government employees. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
Yeah - I find it hilarious that literally no democrat politician (including Obama) ever mentioned Juneteenth, until 2018, when Trump randomly had a rally scheduled on that date, and the TDS Leftist Cult pretended like it was some grave sin.

What a fucking joke. Just an excuse for the TDS Leftist Cult to pander to their voters and waste more take money by making it a paid holiday for government employees
Juneteenth is a great day to remember that Black Lives Matter is a domestic terrorist organization that stole money from all those suckers who supported it to buy themselves mansions.

BLM wishes you a Happy Juneteenth !!!
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all that some people would be against a holiday celebrating the end of slavery. Yet someone recently claimed that racism doesn't exist in this country any more.
I don’t know anyone having a cookout. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
I figured that.
Well I for one had a happy Juneteenth. Had a nice cookout with friends as I've been celebrating it for the last few years. My job even did a lunch where we learned more about the celebration and the efforts to make it a holiday, which had been going on for longer then I thought.
  • El-mo
  • 06-20-2023, 09:41 AM
Excellent bait post. Some people just can’t help themselves.