19th amendment to US Constitution

tidbit that showed up on my mobile phone this morning....

on aug 18, 1920, the 19th amendment was ratified. it gave women the right to vote.

now, women & men, exercise your right to vote and have your voice/vote heard.

[tho not hobby related, wasnt sure where to post this.
so, mods, you can move this to another forum as needed]
Giving women the right to vote - who had that dumb idea?
17th amendment...

Who had that dumb idea??? (and let it become an amendment!)

That's an even better question.
When I first read this I assumed the 17th amendment was prohibition or the collection of income taxes.

I had to look it up (no, I don't have them memorized. I majored in the hard sciences )

The election of senators through popular vote is the amendment you find a dumb idea? LOL!

TNT:

Men did...

My uncle sincerely believed ( he was born in 1908 ) the downfall of this country began when women received the right to vote.

I like to use that line in mixed company to see who really has a sense of humor.
No wonder there is always a dark cloud on August 18th.
The only people that should not be allowed to vote are the ones that think there is a difference between a republican and a democrat.
The only people that should not be allowed to vote are the ones that think there is a difference between a republican and a democrat. Originally Posted by sroach23
There are big differences but we can all get along
No the only people that should be able to vote are the one's with a job or that has recently been laid off.
If your on welfare forget it we know who your going to vote for the party that tells you that the working class owes you your welfare check.

As for women hell yes let them vote.
Hobbyfun you hit the nail on the head. If this was the case now we would not have to worry about four more years of the idiot in office.
Yes, TNT Angie, the direct election of U S Senators was a giant step down the "Progressive" road the country is on. The idea of the Senators being elected by the state legislatures was the founders attempt to counter-balance the popular election of Congressmen. The Senators would hold the best interests of their respective states uppermost while the Members of Congress would be more concerned with the interests of their constituents (the individual voters). Popular election of Senators has led directly to the Senator being much more interested in his party loyalty than in what is best for his state because he now relies on that party machine and identity for re-election rather than on the legislature of the state. We need look no further than Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the Senate Majority Leader - if there was ever a "Party first" guy, it is good ole Harry. He obviously gives not two twits in Hell for what is best for his State of Nevada or for the USA.

Giving women the vote? Totally non-controversial, in my humble, yet accurate, opinion!!! But I do agree with the Founders that the privilege to vote should be limited to those with "skin in the game". When those voters who "receive" from the government equal, or out number, those who "contribute" to the government, then the good ole USA is over. I don't know what it will be, but it will no longer be "the land of the free and the home of the brave".

Just the musings of a lone voice in the wilderness pondering these things!!!
If your on welfare forget it we know who your going to vote for Originally Posted by Hobbyfun
I wouldn't let people vote that don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'.

we would not have to worry about four more years of the idiot in office. Originally Posted by Bloodhound
That's what I said in 2004.

look no further than Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, Originally Posted by Pistol Man
Or those 2 losers Texans have given the privilege of serving this state.