The Great Tennessee BBQ Thread

Ok, everyone knows about Memphis and we all have our preferences there(Central BBQ) but what about the rest of the state? I never hear about places in Chattanooga, Knoxville, Jackson, etc. What are the go-to's in your area? I like to travel and love to have first hand knowledge about great BBQ places, I'll even alter my route for great ribs.

And yes, I'm having BBQ ribs tonght with friends so it's really on my mind.
Wonder why you never hear?
That's why I'm asking, gotta be some out there some where.
Shugar's Ribs in Chattanooga is quite good - it ain't Dreamland, but quite good.

JaG
I've also eaten at one of the Bar-B-Cutie restaurants in Nashville - it was good, again, not Dreamland.

JaG
Wonder why you never hear? Originally Posted by Sonoman
to me BBQ is very regional specialty. Even tho there are well liked local city level spots that have goo BBQ. They don't have the National or regional name brand. Memphis is well known for National Contest Finals. With several good spots. Kansas City, well known. Even tho a fella from Memphis started the KC BBQ craze. The Carolina's have their version. Can't forget about Texas. Of Course brisket is the Items of choice when in Texas.
Slick Pig BBQ in Murfreesboro. The only place I'll buy wings. Pulled pork is excellent.
Pork BBQ plays havoc with my blood pressure, so I rarely partake.

Sucks getting old.
Knoxville-Full Service BBQ. Chatty- Sugar's. I'm in agreement about Dreamland, there is no replacement for the original in Tuscaloosa. All time favorite BBQ is Hard8 BBQ in Dallas.
Now we're talking, this helps me map out which way to go when I travel.

And I used to work for a company in Tuscaloosa that was located just down the street from Dreamland on Jugg Factory Road and we would have our company meetings there...until several of us broke the "No Farting" rule. If you've been there, you know the sign.
to me BBQ is very regional specialty. Even tho there are well liked local city level spots that have goo BBQ. They don't have the National or regional name brand. Memphis is well known for National Contest Finals. With several good spots. Kansas City, well known. Even tho a fella from Memphis started the KC BBQ craze. The Carolina's have their version. Can't forget about Texas. Of Course brisket is the Items of choice when in Texas. Originally Posted by Sonoman
Oh absolutely all BBQ is local, I wouldn't care for a BBQ that tasted the same nationwide, it would be too generic.

I ate at 2 different BBQ joints last night and today, both completely different and both delicious. If you are ever in Meridian MS, try Pappy's on Hwy 39 N.
Oh absolutely all BBQ is local, I wouldn't care for a BBQ that tasted the same nationwide, it would be too generic.

I ate at 2 different BBQ joints last night and today, both completely different and both delicious. If you are ever in Meridian MS, try Pappy's on Hwy 39 N. Originally Posted by Road Lizard
Next time I come through Meridian, RL, you'll have to introduce me to Pappy's.

JaG

PS: Ate at Bar-B-Cutie near the airport today,and it was decent. Can't say it's the best in Nashville, since I've not eaten BBQ anywhere else, but it's a good option if you're near one of their locations. Had a half rack of baby backs, onion rings and bbq beans. Glad they don't have a no farting rule.
You got it JaG. Btw, you didn't see the 'No Farting' sign in Dreamland?? That sign is more famous than the place itself.
You got it JaG. Btw, you didn't see the 'No Farting' sign in Dreamland?? That sign is more famous than the place itself. Originally Posted by Road Lizard
RL:

I'm going to have to look around more closely - I've not seen the sign, probably because I have BBQ sauce all over my face when I'm there.

JaG
RL your a man after my own heart when it comes to BBQ lol. That's one thing I always find when visiting a town and now you gentlemen have my mouth watering. Oh what am I going to do now...