must see Austin spots

I have company in from out of town this week and I am going to be touristing them around town. what must see spots do you think are not to be missed for out of town guests? this post will be useful for traveling hobbyists as well. For sure, we'll be eating well and we'll be seeing music every night, got that covered, but what about daytime spots can y'all think of to see besides barton springs, hippie hollow, south congress, lady bird lake hike and bike trail, stevie ray and willie statues and the capitol? what else do I need to show them? The lady bird wild flower center would be good too, tho, not sure if much is blooming yet. where do you take your out of town guests?
wal mart cabelas and academy. Then we eat at Whataburger!

All can be found outside the Austin city limits and outside Travis County!
I think a tour of local murals would be cool, Daniel Johnson's Hi how are you, I love you so much one, and the historical local musicians one by Tim Kerr in red river district downtown. too bad the graffiti park has now closed down. what other murals are cool?
If music is of interest, I would think Continental Club, Saxon Pub, Antone's
Zilker Botanical Gardens are nice and beginning to bloom.
Want to take a drive?...Go into the Hill Country. Perhaps to one of the State Parks, I like Pedernales Falls out past Dripping Springs. If you are going that far, you might as well head to Johnson City (LBJ Boyhood home) and Fredericksburg (LBJ Ranch on the way). There are other places such as Longhorn Caverns, Enchanted Rock, Westcave Preserve. Heck, head to Llano and sample the great BBQ at the original Coopers (better than any of their franchise expansions).
thanks BJ, we will be seeing music every single night. I sure appreciate your feedback on road trips options. in 2 more weeks the flowers will be blooming like crazy. I'll be making some of those road trips then.but alas the company will be gone.
Mount Bonnell is nice if the weather cooperates. Hamilton pool once it warms up is a nice, but busy, outdoor fun spot. One other fun “Austin” activity is Esthers Follies.
Love this thread since I'm new here!

If they are coffee lovers, this is my favorite that I've been to so far:

http://mozartscoffee.com

And of course shopping at the Domain

~
The best BBQ is at Valentina's, on Manchaca just south of Slaughter. Btwn Frate Barker & Ravenscroft.
Check out Ester's Follies downtown
yea willie i like them but hitting Browns bbq on south lamar in a red food trailer today with them. We will do esters next time for sure, I love them! try browns, super good too. Lexie, nothing personal but I hate the domain and that sort of shopping ack....soooooo NOT my Austin. we have hit south congress, south first, today south Lamar. there is a part of Austin for everyone and i am glad my old weird funky Austin still exists and isn't all the domain sort of destinations. Lexie hun, let me show u around some old Austin stuff sometime, the Domain could be in Houston or Dallas. the places I go are 100% weird old Austin vibe. Love to help u have some local fun, wanna do sxsw free day parties in 2 weeks, let me know.
Must see in Austin:

total gridlock on 35 on fridays
continual protesters at UT or State Capitol
drunks downtown on 6th
homeless shelters downtown
bats peeing on your head around the congress ave. bridge

Those seem to be the top 5. All can be done in a few short hours.
yea willie i like them but hitting Browns bbq on south lamar in a red food trailer today with them. We will do esters next time for sure, I love them! try browns, super good too. Lexie, nothing personal but I hate the domain and that sort of shopping ack....soooooo NOT my Austin. we have hit south congress, south first, today south Lamar. there is a part of Austin for everyone and i am glad my old weird funky Austin still exists and isn't all the domain sort of destinations. Lexie hun, let me show u around some old Austin stuff sometime, the Domain could be in Houston or Dallas. the places I go are 100% weird old Austin vibe. Love to help u have some local fun, wanna do sxsw free day parties in 2 weeks, let me know. Originally Posted by sue_nami
I may just take you up on your offer. I'm used to hanging out with my very progressive kids who are grown and live out of state now, but I actually do prefer eclectic out of the way places, dive bars, hidden gems, etc.

~
Cathedral of Junk.
Cathedral of Junk. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Had to google the name! Been by there many times and never knew that place had a name. Only in south Austin! My neighborhood association would make him clean his place up. Very eclectic to say the least!
Rebekah Baines Johnson clinic for a nice 20 buck checkup.
I have company in from out of town this week and I am going to be touristing them around town. what must see spots do you think are not to be missed for out of town guests? this post will be useful for traveling hobbyists as well. For sure, we'll be eating well and we'll be seeing music every night, got that covered, but what about daytime spots can y'all think of to see besides barton springs, hippie hollow, south congress, lady bird lake hike and bike trail, stevie ray and willie statues and the capitol? what else do I need to show them? The lady bird wild flower center would be good too, tho, not sure if much is blooming yet. where do you take your out of town guests? Originally Posted by sue_nami
San Antonio has seventeen different museums, a zoo, and theme parks.

We have a statue of Stevie Ray.

WTF am I doing here?