Any scatch golfers?

Looking to up my golf game.

I want to take lessons but I don't know if going to any random course and getting instruction from the pros there will work. I assume that since people have different teaching styles, I would like some more than others. Problem is, I don't know of anyone that plays well enough or has taken lessons successfully. So I don't know who to ask.

Are there any scratch golfers on the board that can recommend local (Dallas area) pro teachers?

I won't tell where I got the recommendation.

Actually, I won't tell them they were recommended. Just gonna act like a person that came across their golf course or instruction venue or whatever over the internet.

I am very interested in first hand knowledge from somone that has taken lessons from an individual or group that has significantly changed their golf game.

If you know of certain courses or instructors to avoid I would welcome that advice too.
I scratch all the time when I play a round! I learned in Seattle and in Hawaii when I was in the service. I have a 4 handicap and that is from the black tees aka the far back one. If you can afford one of those flip cameras and watch your swing that will help. When I am shanking that is what I do instead of paying someone else. Also Tiger has a book which I loved and thought me so much about the game. Good Luck!
I am not scratch any longer but still a single digit. A lot depends on what you are looking for in an instructor (overall improvement, short game, putting, bunker play, etc..). And how much you are willing to pay. Most instructors will be about $60-75 per hour. You might find a younger instructor who is good for $50 or less. On the high end, you can go to Hank Haney in McKinney and pay $1000/hour or more to see Hank or quite a bit less to see one of the other instructors. I think the senior instructors at Haney charge about $150/hour and the junior instructors about half that. DA Weibring has a range off of Spring Creek near the DNT in Plano and there are some decent instructors there also. Most instructors have the same knowledge but it is their ability to communicate to YOU that will make them worthwhile.
Here is a link for Edwin Watts. They have two facilities in Dallas and are offering an initial one-on-one golf lesson/analysis for $25. It soulds like a good start.
http://www.edwinwattsgolfacademy.com/

Hank Haney's in McKinney is no more. It burned down a couple of years ago.

I suggest going to a local golf course and finding a pro you like. Many times they will give you discounts on golf or free balls.

Watch the golf channel for tips. Read. Practice. Playing better is so much more than tweaking your swing. It's course management and the short game that will help lower your score

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but your local pro is probably your best choice.

Good luck.
I have also thought at various times about taking lessons. Right now I just hack around the course.

After looking at the Edwin Watts link, wonder if I should spend my hobby budget on lessons. HHMMMMMMMM.
  • TNguy
  • 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM
There are basically 2 types of golf teachers. Method teachers who teach a certain way to swing a club and teachers like Chuck Cook in Austin who take what your abilities are and help you with what you can do with the simple basics of golf swing (grip, stance, setup, alignment, and plane). Like others above have said you have to figure out what you want, a total overhaul would be appropriate for a method teacher or keeping it simple and reaffirm the basics of the golf swing.

Getting too mechanical can take away from the enjoyment of playing the game. You wind up playing swing and not golf.

My 2 cents, for what they're worth, learn to see the ball in your minds eye while you swing, pitch and putt. Feel that without getting mechanical or worrying about where the club is throughout the swing. Afterall, the most important part of the golf swing is the impact position. Everything else really doesn't matter. Look at the best players from years ago, Miller Barber, Lee Trevino, Ray Floyd, Hale Irwin, Hal Sutton, etc. they all had very different swings but at the moment that counted the most (impact) they were all in a good position.

The golf swing has gotten too mechanical, we are all supposed to swing a certain way. We can't do that because we are all built differently. Learn to visual your shots while swinging, see it flight, and watch it land in your minds eye and just swing with what you've got. You might be surprised at the results.

Learn to play the game, not the swing.

Now go make some birdies!
Here is a link for Edwin Watts. They have two facilities in Dallas and are offering an initial one-on-one golf lesson/analysis for $25. It soulds like a good start.
http://www.edwinwattsgolfacademy.com/

Hank Haney's in McKinney is no more. It burned down a couple of years ago.

I suggest going to a local golf course and finding a pro you like. Many times they will give you discounts on golf or free balls.

Watch the golf channel for tips. Read. Practice. Playing better is so much more than tweaking your swing. It's course management and the short game that will help lower your score

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but your local pro is probably your best choice.

Good luck. Originally Posted by cookie man
My bad. I forgot about Hank Haney not being in McKinney. They still do have a McKinney facility though. It is at WestRidge. Hank is in Lewisville now.
Thanks for the advice so far
North Lake Community College in Irving/Las Colinas has an continuing ed class for beginner's golf for $160 (+$60 fee for range balls). Must supply own clubs as well. All of the golf classes are held at L.B. Houston Golf Club nearby in far west Dallas, not the community college. They're held on every Saturday for about 3 months. If that is too much commitment, they also have a shorter session that lasts about 1 month and it's 95 bucks (+$20 for range balls). That's about the price of 1 lesson at some clubs. Another plus...L.B. Houston is like 2 mins away from The Lodge.

Other Dallas community colleges may have their own type program, so check which one is closer to you.
I would not suggest Hank Haney for lessons. Most of the folks I know in the golf business will tell you a lot of the local teaching pros do VERY well fixing people that have gone to them. The HH ranch is a great place to practice though.

I've seen and known a number of instructors, and have always had the best results from the "old school" guys, the guys from the Hogan school of thought.

Learn, practice, and try to perfect each component (fundamental) of the swing. And remember it's a process, once you find a swing you can repeat and repeat under pressure, stay with it always.
Par. For a beginner I would not recommend Haney either but I don't know if this guy is a beginner or not. If he is a 15 trying to get to 5, then I think the instructors at Haney can get results. Most of them are about getting results and don't stick to Hank's method teaching. While Hogan's principles worked for a long time, the modern equipment has changed the golf swing.
North Lake Community College in Irving/Las Colinas has an continuing ed class for beginner's golf for $160 (+$60 fee for range balls). Must supply own clubs as well. All of the golf classes are held at L.B. Houston Golf Club nearby in far west Dallas, not the community college. They're held on every Saturday for about 3 months. If that is too much commitment, they also have a shorter session that lasts about 1 month and it's 95 bucks (+$20 for range balls). That's about the price of 1 lesson at some clubs. Another plus...L.B. Houston is like 2 mins away from The Lodge.

Other Dallas community colleges may have their own type program, so check which one is closer to you. Originally Posted by Barack Obama
I can't believe I forgot about this. This was part of my plan a few years ago, but until you brought it up I had forgotten about community colleges. I will definitely look into it.

... once you find a swing you can repeat and repeat under pressure, stay with it always. Originally Posted by Par_Shooter
That is my ultimate goal. My previous 95 different swings were hard to repeat.

Par. For a beginner I would not recommend Haney either but I don't know if this guy is a beginner or not. Originally Posted by blue3122
Not a beginner, but playing like one. I know strategies and course management, but lack the fundamentals.
Start with a pro at your local driving range. If you don't see results after a couple of lessons or feel like he is doing you any good, try another instructor.

Golden Bear Golf Center

2538 Golden Bear Drive Carrollton, TX 75006
(972) 733-4111
GolfTEC really helped me a few years ago. I shoot in the mid to high 70's. They rig you up to sensors and video-tape your swing so you can watch it at home on your computer. It's all graphed out and it sounds mechanical, but it isn't. There are several GolfTEC places in DFW. Video-tape analysis worked wonders for me.

Wish I could play more (3-4 times a month) but it would get in the way of my favorite Hobby :-)
I took golf Continuing Ed at both Cedar Valley and Mountain View. They were both very good deals IMO.