Not the Party of Our Fathers

In 1972, I turned 21 and became eligible to vote for the first time in Michigan. The available field was the Republican, Richard Nixon on the one hand and a choice of senators Hubert Humphry or George McGovern for the Democrats (in the primary). I wanted to vote Democrat. Both candidates seemed to be compassionate, and people oriented. President Nixon was this semi ogre who had already been in office for four years and still hadn't defeated the communists in Viet Nam or withdrawn.

During the primary season, it became obvious to me that both Democrats were buffoons, particularly Humphry, and on election day, I voted for Nixon.

It is interesting to me that much of the today's national discussion generally, and in many threads here, del with President Trump alone, somewhat like in 1972 with Nixon. . . .and today, Trump is a valid topic for discussion.

Yet, that focus ignore the real issues we all face today, every day, such as crime and adverse economics. There are many other issues besides those two, and President Trump is in my view. a side issue now.

The Democratic Party has ceased to be the party of our fathers. It has ceased to be the party of many contemporary liberals such as Bill Mahar. It is no longer the party of presidents Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson Carter or even Clinton.

The Democrats of today have become the party of anarchy, chaos and the dissolution of society.

With all that said:

We should be talking less about either President Trump or President Biden. We should be talking about the issues that threaten to change our Nation forever and for the worse.
Isn’t this your 3rd thread with the same whine. How about you focus on the Republican Party. What difference does it make who or what the Dems are since you’re voting R anyway. Or does it do your heart good to complain incessantly about nothing of relevance?

All that said: Republicans are the party of Trump, insurrection and election lied; hence, preservation of the republic is the only subject that really matters for discussion.
... Ya know... Odd thing is that I'm gonna side-with
1blackman1 here somewhat.

And why? ... Because he don't wanna hear a Republican voter
tell him what the Dems need to do ---

--- any more than I wanna hear liberals tell me what
Republicans need to do.

All that said: The Dems are the party of high crime
and "defund the police"... Higher taxes and misery for all.

And sadly NOT the party of yer fathers.

#### Salty
I have actually voted both parties in the past. I hate a lot of things about Biden and the Dems, but the Republican party worries me. You speak about defund the police; well, the GOP are saying defund the FBI. There are numerous actions that Trump did in office that I agreed with whole Heartly, but he is a scary guy. The GOP is no longer a party it turned in to a religion under Trump. Before he was elected, I told a friend of mines that he would not want to leave office and that he really wanted to be the King of America and not the President.
Actually, mate - the Republicans are NOT saying "defund the FBI"
- they are saying "change the FBI" so it's no longer politically
biased and used as a weapon. ... "Your fathers" wouldn't have
wanted the FBI used as a weapon against political foes.

#### Salty

#### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again

You sure about that?

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/15...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Paul Gosar said it as well.
  • WTF
  • 09-11-2022, 06:52 AM
You sure about that?

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/15...rc=twsrc%5Etfw Originally Posted by 69in2it69
Lol....that should shut Salty up for a while but it probably won't.

MTG is basically an extension of Trump and the hard-core MAGA crowd. She tweets Defund the FBI and the Trump apologists will now try and explain how that is different from BLM.

#### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again
Well that not what they said. The actual word they have used is "Defund the FBI". The FBI was used as a politically biased weapon during the 2016 election, so what is the different?
Neither party is the what it was when it was founded. The Democratic party has indeed changed throughout tow plus centuries when it started out as the Democrat-Republican party at the beginning of the 19th century and then evolved into the very conservative Dixiecrats following the Civil War. At the same time the GOP of today has absolutely no resemblance to the party of Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, or even Eisenhower and Reagan.
What I love to see is every Congressman GOP and Democratic replaced then it would shake them up to do the right thing out of fear.
Neither party is the what it was when it was founded. The Democratic party has indeed changed throughout tow plus centuries when it started out as the Democrat-Republican party at the beginning of the 19th century and then evolved into the very conservative Dixiecrats following the Civil War. At the same time the GOP of today has absolutely no resemblance to the party of Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, or even Eisenhower and Reagan. Originally Posted by chefnerd
Conservative Dixiecrats??

More like KKK loving racist.

That morphed into LBJ’s “Great Society” where their “solution” to the “black problem” was to herd them all into government housing, destroy their family structure, and demand their vote for handouts.
Yes Conservative Dixiecrats yes aka conservative Democrats. Dixiecrat is what the Southern Democrats were known as prior to moving to the Republican party. If you care to refer back in history, you will find that the Democratic party (aka the Copperheads) were in fact the conservative party.
Isn’t this your 3rd thread with the same whine. How about you focus on the Republican Party. What difference does it make who or what the Dems are since you’re voting R anyway. Or does it do your heart good to complain incessantly about nothing of relevance?

All that said: Republicans are the party of Trump, insurrection and election lied; hence, preservation of the republic is the only subject that really matters for discussion. Originally Posted by 1blackman1
I focus on the attributes of the Democratic Party of the current decade by talking about the Democratic party of our fathers because I am trying to convince democrats to reconsider the policies they support and the candidates they may vote for.

Many prominent Democrats of the 20th Century could not support the progressive agenda of today.

Sure, lets discuss high taxes, inflation, illegal immigration, the Catch-and-release crime wave and so on. But lets leave out the personal failings of the politicians. Lets makie it a discussion of policy not personalities.
You’re not voting democrat so why keep whining about their ideas. You’re gonna vote republican so you should spend your time and effort complaining about how badly the nuRepublican party has failed at being the party of big ideas. Ultimately, why would any democrat give a half a shit what you think they should be pursuing policy wise? Why would any democrat want to be “your view” of what policies and ideas they are pursuing?

I think those answers are obvious.