experiences vs. things - wrt pay for play

hmmm,

http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbr.../#7c4c5d7e1c08
i read this article the other day and wondered how this concept relates to paying providers.
are we buying an experience or a thing??

Anticipation matters. Gilovich also studied anticipation and found that anticipation of an experience causes excitement and enjoyment, while anticipation of obtaining a possession causes impatience. Experiences are enjoyable from the very first moments of planning, all the way through to the memories you cherish forever. Originally Posted by TravisBradberry-in-Forbes
while my anticipations something overshoots the actual experience, they still put butterflies in my gut wondering how it will cum out - deliteful or not-so-deliteful.

from my 16+ yrs of experiences, about 30-40% of mine have been cherishing & deliteful [those providers KNEW how to conduct an encounter, from initial contact to a sweet text or email afterwards], 20-30% average and 30-40% not so satisfying or not-so-deliteful ["wtf did i do that for?"].

how have yours cum out??
interesting thread idea.. I've always said paying for experiences tops things by a huge margin, for reasons beyond the scope of the thread.. now, what are we buying exactly?

I would say experience, but your point about anticipation suggests it's not 100% experience. the memory thing is spot on, we remember the great and bad sessions in detail.. I certainly do.

I think my successes are higher.. probably like:

great/memorable = 60%

fine/not bad = 28%

horrible = 12%
+ 100% PMDELITES that's about my average
That's hard to say because the way you remember things will change over time and as your perspective changes due to other experiences. Our memories are really pretty shitty, and our internal bullshit generators will skew things even more.

But, that being said, I'd much rather spend money doing things, rather than having things. Sailing in Monterey is worth driving a Ford instead of a Lincoln.
Interesting concept and I agree that memories can shift and change over time. In the case of the "hobby", I think there is element of comparison, maybe even more subconsciously than consciously, among experiences with various providers that may heighten or lessen the memory of the experience. No matter the "homework", pictures and reviews by others, you just don't how a "date" will unfold; however, that being said, I think I would breakdown my experiences as follows:

35%- spectacular (it stays with you for days)
20%- really enjoyable & memorable
35%- nice and enjoyable time with no regrets but
10%- memorable but in the wrong sense and can also stay with you for days (like the flu)

Crying won't help you, praying won't do you no good.....
(When the levee breaks)