Google Voice now with MMS

http://lifehacker.com/google-voice-g...fte-1791517753

Sorry for being so technologically illiterate, but does this mean that GV now supports pictures in text messages?
If you use the Hangouts app for Google Voice that has always supported sending pictures, i use it and have always been very happy
It looks like it will after an update. I just checked the Appstore and there isn't one yet.
It looks like it will after an update. I just checked the Appstore and there isn't one yet. Originally Posted by bashar
It is rolling out SLOWLY for Android first, best guess is iOS update will hit later in the week or next week latest.
Wow. It's only been forever. You would think with all the other texting apps that have image support, they wouldn't have been as slow to roll this out.

Sideline has an image sending feature. It's unpredictability unreliable though.

Signal has this feature as well, haven't tested it though.

Edit: Signal works great for sending pics. Fast and doesn't make the entire app bug out unlike sideline.
I asked because someone I know uses GV to communicate with me (and probably some others). I used to get pictures but haven't since she became GV exclusive.
  • BLM69
  • 01-24-2017, 02:51 PM
I asked because someone I know uses GV to communicate with me (and probably some others). I used to get pictures but haven't since she became GV exclusive. Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot
She'll have to load the Google hangouts app which learns all of your contacts information if using your RW phone, not a good idea, if it's a hobby phone, go for it.

I use GV in private browsing so it's only text for me but can receive pics that get forwarded to my e-mail.
Ah, okay. Never mind. I don't have GV and don't know how it works. My understanding was that it couldn't send or receive pictures, that (according to a response above) it could do so via Hangouts, and that this upgrade would allow pictures to be sent and received straight from the app, without using Hangouts. SOunds like you have to use Hangouts either way, so the update is no big deal.
I have GV and access my account through the web interface. Messages are forwarded to my hobby email account. Photos come through fine, and have for some time.
All I know is that she's told me she uses GV and can't send or receive pictures on her phone while using GV. She used to send pics from her RW number, but she hasn't used it to contat me in a long time, and I assume that she either switched it or, for personal reasons, no longer uses it for people such as myself.
Sounds like she got a new personal phone number.
There are at least two assumptions in there that aren't valid, namely, that she has an email account from which she can send pictures, and, that I have asked for pictures. I think that since it appears you have to use Hangouts or another app in conjunction with Google Voice just send pictures, we're done here. Thanks.
Poorly written article. Leaves more questions than answers.
The new app ("version 2.0") has hit the iOS App Store.
Just updated GV on my iPhone. You can now attach pics right from the app. There's a little "mountain" icon that will upload your pics. As easy as uploading pics in iMessage.