Time Warner Vs. Direct TV

Alright peeps! I need you input. I currently have Time Warner. And have had it since I have been out on my own. Never really thought about switching or trying out different services but since we now have to pay for TV... and cable in general is great for their many channels I have these issues with Time Warner:

Sound just stops...doesn't matter if it’s on HD or not, been DVR'd just stops.... and it only does it while watching cable so I know it isn't my TV. Only way to fix it is to either watch the show with no sound for a few minutes... or switch channels and back and by that point you've missed a few minutes of a show or rewind and re-watch the show.

HD channels don't always work. You'll go to the channel and its either black or says to call good old Time Warner.

I am tired of resetting my box all the time.... have replaced my box 4 times in a short 1yr and half and I have the most expensive HD cord you can buy. Not using Time Warner's cheap HD cord they give you upon hook up service. On top of service interruptions... my bill seems to always be a different amount due each month. It is never the same price. I don't order movies on demand. To me if cable is $75 plus tax and internet is $30 plus tax....each month your bill should be the same give or take a few cents. My cell phone is always the same per month, and cable/internet used to but I have noticed in the last 6 months my bill is always a different amount and off by more than a few cents.... like sometimes its $10-15 dollars more other times its less? WHAT GIVES?

I was looking at Direct TV this morning and their prices are pretty decent and far cheaper than what I am paying for cable through TW. Of course I need to make sure I can even get Direct TV through my apartment, I have seen few with dishes but not sure if they are Direct TV or Dish Network.....

So what’s your take? Should I start shopping around and if so what companies have you found to be the best for the amount of money we are shelling out for TV?
  • GP
  • 08-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Stop watching TV. That will solve everything.
Brooke, you are not alone, I have had the same problems with TWCNY. Part of the problem is they compress the data and their boxes are crap. I now call them every time I have service interruption and demand to be credited for the day, two can play this game! The problem is Sattelite has it's problems too, I just grin & bear it.
I watch about 4 hours a week. Other than baseball, football, and hockey. But most of that is watching at a bar. Think rabbit ears and less TV viewing.
  • LynnT
  • 08-13-2011, 10:51 PM
I just say watch on the net who needs cable. I havent had cable in years.. Anything I like streams on the net.
The biggest problem with Direct TV or Dish Network is losing satellite TV signal during rain and snow storms. Also in winter you have to brush snow off the satellite dish. A neighbor had to have them lower the dish off his roof nearer to the ground because he couldn't sweep the snow off it in winter. A few people I knew said this was their biggest complaint with satellite TV and most went back to cable for this reason.
I agree totally with Celso. I had it for a while and anytime bad weather rolled through you lost signal. Not good
Directv is much better than time warner. The only time mine goes out is in a heavy rain storm. But when you get it installed the dish, make sure your there and have them put it, if possible somewhere you can access it to clean it off. Mine is right outside my bathroom window, so in case of snow I just open the window and brush it off. But the picture quality that directv brings is much better than timewarner.
But directv doesnt have internet access like timewarner to bundle. Its the only thing that makes timewarner worth it, but they do have just internet packages.
Stream it.
You probably don't have it in your neighborhood, but Verizon FIOS TV and Internet is a viable alternative and a little cheaper than Time Warner. If the TV service isn't available they will sell you a bundle with Direct TV. If no FIOS at all is available you can get a DSL / Direct TV bundle. I used to have the same problems you described until I had them come out and measure the signal strength coming from the pole which turned out to be too low. They cranked it up and replaced the cable from the pole to the house and now it's almost perfect. Except for the $175 bill every month.
I like to watch a lot of CNN and World News... So getting rid of cable isn't an option. Also I have watched shows before online and find it annoying they have load/re load/ stop and sound quality can be an issue.

I don't mind paying for TV... I just mind paying for it when you’re not getting the quality that one should be for the $$ being spent.

I have seen a few people who live in the upstairs apartments at my place and their dishes are right near their deck- easy to access. Thanks for all the input though looks like I'll be seeing if I can switch and I'll end up saving $60 a month.

Keep internet with TW and have TV through another company.
Brooke,

Are you using an HDMI cable from the box to the TV? If so, try switching to a component video connection (5 plugs: red, green, blue, red, white). The TWC boxes are exceptionally poor quality, switching to component video might help. HDMI would be better, but the TWC box is too crappy.

Resetting the box doesn't accomplish much and exchanging a crappy box for another crappy box is equally pointless, right?

FiOS might be the better choice, once they get more established.

And my TWC bill fluctuated for a long time before it finally leveled out and remained the same month after month. God only knows why.

And the Internet is a great alternative, if the show you want is available.

"Fluctuated." There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'll let it go...
Brooke,

Are you using an HDMI cable from the box to the TV? If so, try switching to a component video connection (5 plugs: red, green, blue, red, white). The TWC boxes are exceptionally poor quality, switching to component video might help. HDMI would be better, but the TWC box is too crappy.

Resetting the box doesn't accomplish much and exchanging a crappy box for another crappy box is equally pointless, right?

FiOS might be the better choice, once they get more established.

And my TWC bill fluctuated for a long time before it finally leveled out and remained the same month after month. God only knows why.

And the Internet is a great alternative, if the show you want is available.

"Fluctuated." There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'll let it go... Originally Posted by Jon Colden

I've had to return 3 boxes (1 HDD freeze & 2 dead HDMI) TWC boxes are CRAP!
I've had tw,direct and dish. they all suck but like you brooke I love cnn, also like msnbc (and if I want a good laugh fox"news"). So far dish has been the best of the worst. better pricing and if you have frontier dsl you can bundle with dish for a reduced rate.
I too enjoy a good laugh while watching Fox News....