Can this happen in the US? GMail Blocked

When I see stuff like this about cell phones.....

Feds push for tracking cell phones

I get to wondering if things like this regarding email can ever happen here?

Iran to Suspend Google's Email

Kind of scary......Am I being paranoid?
My Friend, the day is coming when anyone online will be able to track the location of any powered up cell phone. Sure am glad I am divorced with no SO.
they are smarter here, they just flood their servers with ddos attacks and blame it on a software bug.

of course this post is meant absolutely seriously...

Kind of scary......Am I being paranoid? Originally Posted by Pearl Man
If you want to take control of an area, you cut off the area's communication. It's a basic military strategy.

Pulling the battery out of your phone doesn't neccessarily kill the phone. There is still a battery internal that keeps clock function and maybe the GPS alive.

Quandrey: have you ever changed the battery in your Toll Tag?
  • Mokoa
  • 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Iran has a totalitarian like government in place. If they want to cut off access to something like Google, they can do it since the government pretty much controls everything. Their reasoning for doing it...
An Iranian official said the move was meant to boost local development of Internet technology and to build trust between people and the government.
Now that is just ridiculous.

Yeah, right. They want to build trust in their government by acts of censorship.
It doesn't seem very likely that the American government would ever block a certain e-mail provider; it is more likely that a corporation would block e-mails, though.

I remember back when Gmail was first getting started and you had to be invited to join, Microsoft's Hotmail was blocking invitations that people were supposed to be getting from their friends.