Hobby phones.

Like most of you, I have a burner phone that I use for the hobby. It is one I bought at WalMart with a bunch of minutes. It is a basic phone that does what I need for the hobby. However lately, I have had real problems with texts not getting to me in a timely manner, and my texts not going out promptly. An example, when Kelley Monroe was coming to Amarillo, we were exchanging texts. At one point they stopped, I assumed for check in and unpacking etc. I then got 5 texts that had obviously not been sent at the same time, all time stamped the same. I have also had people ask why I waited so long to answer a text when I answered right away.
Is anyone else having this trouble? Any thoughts on how to correct it? If I need to get a different burner, any ideas on ones that work reliably?
I know when I am traveling; I was told to power cycle my cell phone to reconnect to the closest tower. Have you tried doing that?
I keep the phone off most of the time, I just check it once a day or so and of course leave it on when things are being set up.
Mine does that too, do not lose sleep over it. Probably the NSA just screeing them.
Good Ole West TX problem... I've personally been thru every burner Walmart sales. Best one in this area in every corner of every house or building is my Verizon no contract ph. $45 a month unlimited. If you don't pay it turns off with no problems. You can pay with Verizon pre-paid cards or gift cards so it doesn't trace back to you.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting
those Verison phones are good, ihave stood in my driveway with my AT&T getting no signal and my friends Verizon is working just fine. Thanks for reminding me to go get a Verizon phone.
I experience the same issues from time to time. The burner phone is not as nice as my personal IPhone so I get irritated with it at times.
Why not just use google voice?
Why not just use google voice? Originally Posted by Phrasing
Man, give me credit for using one of them phones that don't need to be plugged to a wall!
But, you still have to use a cell phone, I know Verizon has invested big time in cell towers in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico.

Google voice can be forwarded to any phone, and with a smart phone you can call with a wireless connection or webpage.

Man, give me credit for using one of them phones that don't need to be plugged to a wall! Originally Posted by oldpun
Add goggle voice to your existing cell phone for no extra cost. You only have one cell phone and one bill.

Google Voice also has an option or setting Do Not Disturb for times when do not want incoming calls or text. It gives you the option to use GV when you need it as a hobby phone or to have it dormant.

You can also change the Google Voice # when ever you desire. You can also ad more than one GV number to the same cel phone.

The only cost that occurs is when you change your GV number and that's only 10 bucks.

It gives you more flexibility at less cost. You don't have to deal with 2 cell phones and two bills.

Isn't that right Phrasing?
Add goggle voice to your existing cell phone for no extra cost. You only have one cell phone and one bill.

Google Voice also has an option or setting Do Not Disturb for times when do not want incoming calls or text. It gives you the option to use GV when you need it as a hobby phone or to have it dormant.

You can also change the Google Voice # when ever you desire. You can also ad more than one GV number to the same cel phone.

The only cost that occurs is when you change your GV number and that's only 10 bucks.

It gives you more flexibility at less cost. You don't have to deal with 2 cell phones and two bills.

Isn't that right Phrasing? Originally Posted by busternutzs
unless you call international, it's basically free. You don't even have to pay 10 bucks for a new number, just create a new email address and get a free number.

No disrespect to OP (get it, oldpun instead of original poster...anyways) I was just inquiring why it wouldn't work. I work with family, so a hobby phone is out of the question. But with my regular phone, you forward your text messages to the email address...and if asked, just say you are responding to emails! Oh downside of GV is you can't send pics. So you still have to email it or send a link
I tried the burner route when I first started hobbying but switched to Google Voice a few years ago. Best way to go, IMO.