Job...anyone? anyone? anyone?

Ok. So this is how desperate I am to get this position filled...posting a job opportunity in ECCIE. I've been part of ECCIE since it started & ASPD before it closed shop. From time to time, there appear to be some people here (guys & providers alike) who are highly educated, so I thought I'd give this a shot.

We have one position left in my department that we haven't been able to fill for months. We've interviewed people from here to the East Coast.

We need someone with a strong science background, preferably in medicine. But here's the tricky part, they must also have a background in adult education. A Masters is required, but PhD would be even better. The pay is around 58K-60K/year to start. I started 4 yrs. ago at 57K & I'm over 65K now. Good benefits, working environment, etc.

PM me if you're interested & we can work out if/how we would proceed w/ more job details, resume, etc.

Yes...yes...this is an odd place for a job post. But s.e.r.i.o.u.s.l.y, I am soooo swamped w/ no help in sight.

Ok. So this is how desperate I am to get this position filled...posting a job opportunity in ECCIE. I've been part of ECCIE since it started & ASPD before it closed shop. From time to time, there appear to be some people here (guys & providers alike) who are highly educated, so I thought I'd give this a shot.

We have one position left in my department that we haven't been able to fill for months. We've interviewed people from here to the East Coast.

We need someone with a strong science background, preferably in medicine. But here's the tricky part, they must also have a background in adult education. A Masters is required, but PhD would be even better. The pay is around 58K-60K/year to start. I started 4 yrs. ago at 57K & I'm over 65K now. Good benefits, working environment, etc.

PM me if you're interested & we can work out if/how we would proceed w/ more job details, resume, etc.

Yes...yes...this is an odd place for a job post. But s.e.r.i.o.u.s.l.y, I am soooo swamped w/ no help in sight.
Originally Posted by BobsAlias

Really? This has to be a government job. $58-60 per year to start.
science
medicine
adult education
A Masters is required
The last time the government wanted me to work for them the were offering half of my salary. It is better to be an outside contractor; you get a lot more money.

JR
Yes, I think $60,000 for someone with a Masters or Ph.D. degree in the private sector, to me, would be insulting. Especially with a degree in science or medcine. I have a niece who graduated this month with an Associates degree as a radiology technician and she's making $52,000 out of the gate. It's no wonder you're having difficulty filling the position. Of course, if someone with those requirements is out of work, at least it's better than being on welfare or unemployment.
it may be an educational setting not always the governmental sector work
it may be an educational setting not always the governmental sector work Originally Posted by WorthlessPrik

FYI

Dow Chemical was in court opposite a government spokesman several decades ago; the government made the claim that "they had the best people" so their opinions were superior.

Dow when on to state and prove beyond doubt that the government hires the worst people available. The government workers may make some money, and claim to have some status because "they work for the govment" (spelling intended). In reality the government only gets the least qualified people, the dead beats and the idiots. Their science is nonexistent, and the innovation is none.

The last time I faced a government, so called expert, I was on the stand for 3.5 hours and I ripped the idiot apart. Just keep the facts up front in the discussion and the opinions fall away. I was informed later; this woman quit her field of work.

After Nam, there were twenty Fortune 500 companies as a private hiring party for 200 enlisted technical guys. All of us got jobs, and most of us had several offers. Only those who were not invited went on to get jobs with the government, at much lower pay.

JR
FYI

Dow Chemical was in court opposite a government spokesman several decades ago; the government made the claim that "they had the best people" so their opinions were superior.

Dow when on to state and prove beyond doubt that the government hires the worst people available. The government workers may make some money, and claim to have some status because "they work for the govment" (spelling intended). In reality the government only gets the least qualified people, the dead beats and the idiots. Their science is nonexistent, and the innovation is none.

The last time I faced a government, so called expert, I was on the stand for 3.5 hours and I ripped the idiot apart. Just keep the facts up front in the discussion and the opinions fall away. I was informed later; this woman quit her field of work.

After Nam, there were twenty Fortune 500 companies as a private hiring party for 200 enlisted technical guys. All of us got jobs, and most of us had several offers. Only those who were not invited went on to get jobs with the government, at much lower pay.

JR Originally Posted by JRLawrence
So? This has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.
The guy has a job opening... which is something a lot of people are looking for/need. Not sure why there is all the negativity... just saying.
One thing seems to have been omitted. What are the hours? One day a week? Monday through Friday 9-5? on call 16+ hours a day everyday including weekends and holidays?
Yeah. I know $60ish grand a year for someone w/ a Masters or PhD is not great. That's part of the problem w/ finding someone. It's not a gov. job. It is a non profit, very reputable, professional association. It's also a very niche job & most people in this specific field are on the east coast or large cities. But it's good pay/benefits/work environment in this economy. I know there's a lot of highly skilled & educated people that frequent eccie because I've been a member since it began & aspd before that & suspect that someone here is qualified, or knows someone who needs a good job who is qualified.

To answer Longer...37.5/hrs. / wk, 5 days/wk / hrs. are flexible between 8 & 5ish as long as you get in 7.5 hrs./day / salaried / no weekends / reg. major holidays + the wk between x-mas & new year's. travel maybe a couple times/yr.
It's been filled.
I don't know if that's true.

when I look at the burden a company has to pay taxes because if they are successful they become bad rich people. except they are not millionaires. They're just starting a company. If they make over $100,000,their entire tax burden runs at about 60%. Self-employment tax, tax on capital expenses, and all purchases relating to the business. State, County, City taxes all add up. I know two guys who started a restaurant. They don't work 40 hours a week. after they paid taxes the first year they were so depressed. They work incredibly hard and have a nice restaurant. I also know some people who ran into the same issue. It's tough to run a business. It's risky and it is fraught with trouble. So you can miss file taxes get a penalty. You can fire an employee and still have to pay unemployment because that employee. "Tried" even though he couldn't make it to work on time five days in a row.

but if I would have chosen a path and went to work in education or for the government. I could be looking at a retirement that would be relatively worry free financially.

Instead I fully intend to work until 70. I know it's decisions I made. I'm okay with that.
But, had I chosen differently. I could've been a federal employee with phenomenal vacation benefits. I know two people who have side jobs on top of their professional government jobs that will become full-time jobs after the retirement.
Good for them!

In approximately one year I will be 50. I will have one friend who retires from his federal job and receive a pension exceeding the job posting above. Including paid healthcare. I have a policeman friend who will in his high 40s and make 70,000+ in retirement. Plus paid benefits.
Each one of them has approximately one year of sick pay built up. They also get multiple weeks of vacation plus multiple holidays.
And I have an education friend who in five years will have hit his second 20 year stint in two different states teaching. He will receive two pensions. And yes, he does have summers off. His two pensions will take care of him nicely. All of them intend to go out and find other jobs.

So the question is, is it better to be self-employed and work in the private sector when you can work for a government organization that can basically offer you a retirement plan that if you were in the private sector you need $2-$3 million in the bank minimum to equal?
If those pensions are actually there when you retire. For older guys its probably a good idea back in the day but I doubt for younger guys like me, 30, government pensions are not a safe bet.