Raped Woman Denied Birth Control

Ridiculous. I'm so sick of hearing about belief-driven legislation like anti- contraception, abortion, and gay marriage laws. Why can't people in power invest their time and energy in solving actual problems?!
Allie,

On that page was an excellent link to a clear explanation of the Affordable Health Care Act, aka "Obamacare".

Thanks for posting it.
I will point out that this was Tampa a democratic stronghold and not Kansas a backward GOP stronghold. It is not unusual for a police station to NOT issue medications that they don't know they do. It could have been some LSD type drug, poison, aspirin, and any other drug. It seems this young woman made several bad choices (but being raped was not one of them if she was raped).
I will point out that this was Tampa a democratic stronghold and not Kansas a backward GOP stronghold. It is not unusual for a police station to NOT issue medications that they don't know they do. It could have been some LSD type drug, poison, aspirin, and any other drug. It seems this young woman made several bad choices (but being raped was not one of them if she was raped). Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

Really man?
I will point out that this is AMERICA no matter what state you're in & that is a gross abuse of authority on that police woman's part. Obviously the victim had records of what medication they gave her at the hospital where she was examined.
Does not matter whether it was a Dem, Repub, Independ or Joe/Joan the plumber...or whether it happen in Kansas or Fla.....

As Allie stated, it is suppose to be in America, land of separation of church and state...well at least it used to be.

Everyone, within reason (i.e. no murdering) have the right to determine what their moral beliefs & practices are.
However NO ONE has the right to stuff their moral beliefs down some else's throat....despite plenty of evidence to the contary these days.

IMO, stuffing your moral believes, in situations like this , in addition to being immoral, is plain BS.

And we are suppose to put ourselves up to the world as the model of freedom and individual rights....boy we still have alot of work to do.
This was the story I included a link to in the previous thread about this issue. The post script to the story is that fortunately, the young woman did not get pregnant, so it would be easy to say 'no harm no foul'. By the way - the reason she was arrested? She was required to pay restitution for some juvenile shenanigans back when she was 16 years old. She paid the restitution in full at the time, but somehow it stayed in the system, and showed up as a warrant for delinquent fines. Nice, eh? The police were so busy worrying about what amounts to a misdemeanor, they felt it was more important to arrest her than to spend time tracking down her attacker.

Meanwhile, the young lady has now filed a lawsuit against both the police department, and the deputy who refused to dispense the medication she had been prescribed. The likelihood of the lawsuit going anywhere is slim, but hopefully it will encourage some policy changes to make sure a similar situation does not happen in the future.

PS. Way to go Barleycorn for making an assload of assumptions - all of which were incorrect. Normally I agree with many of the things you have to say, but you were way off base on this one.
Where's a good ghost story when you need one?
Thats why they are called assumptions. Just a fancy word for a guess. Still it is my experience that the police department does not get into the habit of dispensing any medication.
Thats why they are called assumptions. Just a fancy word for a guess. Still it is my experience that the police department does not get into the habit of dispensing any medication. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
You clearly have no idea what your talking about. Individuals have medical problems and require pills or meds in order to live. Who do you think gives them these meds?
It is my understanding according to the original post that she was in custody overnight and not long term. Of course if it is long term then they will have your meds and your charts with them. So was she in overnight or long term? Anyone really know without making any assumptions?
She was in county lock up. Her prescription was for two pills, to be taken 12 hours apart. Yes, any county lock up will have a med room where medicines are kept and dispensed to inmates as needed. For about the tenth time now, the deputy refused to dispense the medication on "moral objection" grounds. Had she requested aspirin, it would have been given to her.
.... She was required to pay restitution for some juvenile shenanigans back when she was 16 years old. She paid the restitution in full at the time, but somehow it stayed in the system, and showed up as a warrant for delinquent fines. Nice, eh? The police were so busy worrying about what amounts to a misdemeanor, they felt it was more important to arrest her than to spend time tracking down her attacker.. Originally Posted by SinsOfTheFlesh
Yes, they took the wrong steps and failed to follow the processes for the correction of the previous. I think the suit with a good lawyer would be a winner. Assume the judge/court actually is what is "should be"

Meanwhile, the young lady has now filed a lawsuit against both the police department, and the deputy who refused to dispense the medication she had been prescribed. The likelihood of the lawsuit going anywhere is slim, but hopefully it will encourage some policy changes to make sure a similar situation does not happen in the future.. Originally Posted by SinsOfTheFlesh
and that is the key to the suit Stacy. Harmed and wronged by the system. UNTIL the system takes responsibilty, assume the court are fair - there will be no change!

PS. Way to go Barleycorn for making an assload of assumptions - all of which were incorrect. Normally I agree with many of the things you have to say, but you were way off base on this one. Originally Posted by SinsOfTheFlesh
Spoken politely, thank you kind lady! He does it frequently as many of us do.
http://www.factcheck.org/
but you never know for sure!

....As Allie stated, it is suppose to be in America, land of separation of church and state...well at least it used to be..... Originally Posted by vkmaster
vk, it is a nice belief system as you implied. But has it really ever been that way? Freedom and justice for all? Maybe time to repost some things from old. And a different thread of that topic! No reason to make Fritz do more slam bam on threads.
The practice and the theory of the American "dream"......
First of all, we have to assume that that the Daily Kos got the facts straight, which is highly unlikely. Second of all, the guard was acting as an agent for the State, not on her own behalf, therefore, she should have followed protocol, which required dispensing the medication.

If the facts are right, the guard should be fired, and the state should pay damages, if any.