Pekin Duck?

Can someone recommend a great 'hole in the wall' real Chinese restaurant in Houston's Chinatown? I've been to many places with my ex girlfriend and don't want to possibly run into her at one of our favorite old haunts, and wouldn't mind trying something new.

I'd like to recreate the last scene from A Christmas Story with awesome food, duck, yum, even though I"ll be alone this year. Thanks for any suggestions or for your favorites. Merry Christmas everyone!
Any mom n pop near bellaire and boone rd
Thanks Russ. Totally missed that post. Been to almost all those places listed. Hong Kong St. was a fave of my ex after she got off work. Damn! Miss those late night bites.
  • Trey
  • 12-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Tantan on westhimer I think is open Xmas. They make a good P. Duck you may have to ask for the head if you want that full Christmas story experience. Don't think they will sing to you however.
Tantan on westhimer I think is open Xmas. They make a good P. Duck you may have to ask for the head if you want that full Christmas story experience. Don't think they will sing to you however. Originally Posted by Trey
^^ i wouldnt consider tan tan a hole in the wall. its one of the most mainstream asian places to go on belaire. but hey if you do go get the bun bo chien. i think i spelt that right its item# A1 the very first thing you know its gotta be good!

I really wanted to help you in this thread but i just realized i don't eat peking duck much. but i know china town decently. you could see if Fufus cafe has it. they are growing more and more popular but the beauty of it is they have 2 in the same shopping center. so take a peak if you see the ex hop over to the other one. I'm not 100% they have it so call first. this place is also open late on weekends i want to say 3am or 4am. many drunken nights after getting kicked out of the bar have been spent here.
  • Trey
  • 12-23-2013, 10:29 PM
You are correct it is not a hole in the wall. But still its pretty good to me, I don't care for the eggrolls though. What is the dish you speak of in English?
Dammit Trey! I want everything including the singing! Hahaha! Thanks for the suggestions. Getting hungry already
its a rice cake egg omelet type appetizer. comes with a soy sauce looking sauce but it taste a little different.

You are correct it is not a hole in the wall. But still its pretty good to me, I don't care for the eggrolls though. What is the dish you speak of in English? Originally Posted by Trey
There's a restaurant called Peking duck. Very good Peking duck and other dishes
Don't shoot your eye out, I kid.
its a rice cake egg omelet type appetizer. comes with a soy sauce looking sauce but it taste a little different.
Originally Posted by SlimBob
miss this dish!
  • Trey
  • 12-25-2013, 06:05 PM
I took your idea and went to tantan myself today. Can you believe they ran out of duck before 5pm! Went to Vietnam Coast on hilcroft and it was decent.

I have tried that eggs and rice dish in the pic befor and I was not a fan. I am one of the very few non fans of it. It tasted like eggs and over cooked hash browns, just not for me I guess.
nah they just didnt cook it right.... ive never had it before till i went to tan tan and just never ordered from anywhere else since

but i should try other places to compare
China Garden in downtown. Right next to Toyota center. Been there for years. Pretty good food. Best egg rolls in town.