Cruise Tips for First Timer

Going on my cruise next year after being told for years by a friend I should. I'm not much of a beach guy, or a sun guy, so I think it'll be a disappointment. But who knows? Why not, Carpe Diem and all.

I booked a simple interior room as he said "first cruise you sleep in the room and that's it... you'll be exploring the ship and such." Made since so I didn't spring for balcony or anything. I DID book a plus one TBD guest. I'm single, and suspect I'll be single in over a year. BUT, figured I could find a willing lady or take a buddy. My friend said there are lots of single women on a cruise, so I shouldn't "take sand to the beach" and bring a lady, but I'm still undecided.

Any advice on how to have the best experience? It's 7 days / 6 nights. I'm more excited about the shows, comedy, food, and gambling on the boat than anything else. But maybe that'll change once my pale ass gets out.

Also, what are the chances of bumping into a working girl on the ship? In ports? And for providers, is a trip like this something you'd take wihtout a week's worth of payment for your time on top of it? How would a provider negotiate this if they were interested in going?
Also mods feel free to move to sandbox if that's where this should've gone.
Hi I ve been on two cruises there's different levels of how many singles on there
If you have the gift of gab you probably can do alright
Your cabin guy probably can help you. As far as taking a provider with you good luck
I enjoyed my trips greatly
Met a couple ladies from Montreal and had a blast
Hang out on the Lido deck,thats where the buffet, booze and pool is located.
Let any east european cruise workers know.
I would like to help and I have lots of experience with cruises... about 14 years worth, however, ALL those were in big gray ships with ariplanes and helicopters and bombs and guns. And there were no single occupancy rooms and if you got caught with a lady you were in trouble..
  • ser
  • 02-19-2022, 10:42 AM
I would like to help and I have lots of experience with cruises... about 14 years worth, however, ALL those were in big gray ships with ariplanes and helicopters and bombs and guns. And there were no single occupancy rooms and if you got caught with a lady you were in trouble.. Originally Posted by rut8972
But how was the buffet?
Never a problem on cvn 68
Not
What cruise line? I have been on 8 cruises pre-Covid. The food is great on most cruise lines. You will gain weight so you should plan on some daily workout/aerobic activity while on the cruise and before to prepare. I know many who average 7-20 pounds in a week. Drink lots of water. Hydrate before you go as well. I have been on all levels of ship including suites and balconies. You don’t spend much time in room so the balconies are nice but the pool areas and outdoor bar/food areas are bigger and more people. If you are open and friendly, you will meet people from all over the world.

I would cruise again anytime. I was actually in a tropical storm once and it didn’t affect me but most of the ship was sick for a day or two. The dining area was empty except for a few of us. I always preferred the later dining time so your day is not cut short. The shows are a little cheesy for my taste but entertaining.
Iamrollin said it very accurately. Just be friendly and sincere also remember that your time will go by pretty quickly so you will need to be a little bit more forward
As far as getting sea suck there are shots and pills your doctor can give you plus dry toast and crackers does a good job also.i got sea sick on my first one but was fine in my second. Would not have missed them for nothing
No way of knowing I suppose, but I don't THINK I'll have any issues with sea sickness. Thanks for the tidbits.
We sailed out of Gavelston Tx.The water was dirty but there were dolphins jumping around tbe ship.The oil rigs were many you could see their lights for first two hours out but when i woke that morning went out on my cabin deck the ocean was cobalt blue and there were flying fish jumping in the waves,it did my spirit good.
Been on many many cruises, had loads of fun, my SO is always there but she usually is laying out in the sun drinking the drink of the day! I spend lots of my alone time in the sports bar or in the casiono's, had lots of very pretty ladies hit me up for various activities. Most of the single ladies are ones who work on the ship and are not "supposed" to mingle with the guest, but they do and are very accommodating to ones needs and wants. Like everyone says, hydrate before and during the cruise, make it a plan to do some cardio during your cruise too! Most of all HAVE FUN! Time will get away from you and it over!
Agree on second seating for food. If you wake up early you should be able to eat on the veranda and not wait for your seating.
I would like to help and I have lots of experience with cruises... about 14 years worth, however, ALL those were in big gray ships with ariplanes and helicopters and bombs and guns. And there were no single occupancy rooms and if you got caught with a lady you were in trouble.. Originally Posted by rut8972

So I take it you were in the Navy?

All kidding aside, thank you for your service.