Sine Die and Die Another Day

Lots of people want to blame the economic woes in Texas on the Federal Government. However, we in Austin have the opportunity to see the real "sausage makers" up close and personal.

I'm talking about the Texas Legislature.

Yesterday (Monday), the adjourned Sine Die without finishing their business. Governor Rick Perry immediately called a special session that begun this morning. Allegedly. The Senate and House showed up long enough to flip off the governor and go home for the day. No telling how long it's going to take for them to get their (OUR) business taken care of.

However, you can be sure that people who tried to preserve the state's educational system, Medicaid system, etc., will be punished by having bill after bill that died in the regular session tacked onto school finance and the like.

Which means that these boys and girls might be sitting in that big pink building for quite a while this summer.

If you were grading the 82nd Legislature on its accomplishments for the People of Texas this year, what would it be?

(And yes, I'm going to include a creosote pole in this one too.)
I am not aware of any accomplishments by the 82nd legislature. Therefore I am inclined to give them an A. All hail Dolph Briscoe.
Did anybody notice thaat Bill Clements died over the weekend? He was 94.
  • Booth
  • 05-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Did anybody notice thaat Bill Clements died over the weekend? He was 94. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Still remember how shocking it was when Texas elected a Republican governor.
I cast my vote as...Present
When I heard the name Bill Clements, the first thing that came to mind was... wasn't he the SMU Board of Governors chairman that threw that program into irrelevance for 2 3 decades?
First Republican Governor of Texas since Reconstruction. Served two terms ... separated by 4 years of running SMU into the ground.

Right you are!

Sandwiched between Dolph Briscoe and Mark White and Ann Richards.

He was a college dropout who ran Texas, and an institution of higher education. How ironic.
My poor mom works for the senate... been getting home after midnight almost every day!
At least she's in the lesser of two nuthouses!

She didn't have any creosote on her, did she Marley?