Texas Voter Suppression Laws Now in Effect

See the story:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement..._illegal_voter

One attorney website stated this law actually violates the Penal Code.

Texas Penal Code:

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/PE/8/36/36.03
If true that's unfortunate. The election judge should know that few, if any 93 yo will have valid DLs and should have suggested a Texas DPS id card. They are common.

It is tough getting parents to give up driving for their and the public safety.

If this is the only single drawback for the voter id law, I'm good with it.
If true that's unfortunate. The election judge should know that few, if any 93 yo will have valid DLs and should have suggested a Texas DPS id card. They are common.

It is tough getting parents to give up driving for their and the public safety.

If this is the only single drawback for the voter id law, I'm good with it. Originally Posted by gnadfly
You obviously ignore the big picture. Sorry for you!
Please enlighten me about "the big picture" and how I'm "ignoring" it. Use your own words and stop using youtube as a crutch.
The big picture is that anyone in the state of Texas that is here legally can get a free, valid ID from the DPS at any time.
At least have the character to admit that the whole exercise is simply to help Democrats to commit voter fraud.
The big picture is that anyone in the state of Texas that is here legally can get a free, valid ID from the DPS at any time.
At least have the character to admit that the whole exercise is simply to help Democrats to commit voter fraud. Originally Posted by Texasbob
Bingo
At least have the character to admit that the whole exercise is simply to help Democrats to commit voter fraud. Originally Posted by Texasbob

See how easy it is SeekingDebbie? Writing the rationale likely took less time than searching YouTube.
And yet any large-scale fraud has apparently escaped the authorities. This 'fraud' is the same reason they want ID to be shown at voting stations. Poppycock. It's performing surgery to alleviate a splinter.
See how easy it is SeekingDebbie? Writing the rationale likely took less time than searching YouTube. Originally Posted by gnadfly
Just saying something doesn't make it true, though. Where is the proof?

Texas Penal Code:

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/PE/8/36/36.03 Originally Posted by SeekingTruth
Someone needs to find another lawyer.

The same could be said for a bumper sticker or a campaign ad.

"(2) influences or attempts to influence a voter not to vote or to vote in a particular manner."

Wasn't Hillarious just down in Houston "attempting to influence" voters "to vote in a particular manner"?
  • DSK
  • 06-05-2015, 05:31 AM
See the story:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement..._illegal_voter

Texas Penal Code:

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/PE/8/36/36.03 Originally Posted by SeekingTruth
The Home Depot is also suppressing credit card use. They made me show my ID to use my credit card at their store!!!
What is the "big picture" you think is so compelling ?

Was this man (the denied voter) registered to vote?

There is more to this story..............

And I thought the law provided for these very rare situations. A provisional ballot is provided and set aside. In the case of a very close vote count, those provisional ballots are then screened and counted if they are cast by a validated registered voter.

This seems reasonable to me.

You obviously ignore the big picture. Sorry for you! Originally Posted by SeekingTruth
Please enlighten me about "the big picture" and how I'm "ignoring" it. Use your own words and stop using youtube as a crutch. Originally Posted by gnadfly
The Home Depot is also suppressing credit card use. They made me show my ID to use my credit card at their store!!! Originally Posted by DSK
If you signed your credit card, vendors that accept credit cards are generally barred by their merchant back contract from requiring any other form of ID. If your credit card is NOT signed, they can ask you for other ID.

I do not sign my credit cards for precisely this reason. I *WANT* them to check the ID.

Having said that, most places these days don't. They scan the card, ask me to sign the machine, and we're done.
  • shanm
  • 06-05-2015, 10:51 AM
If you signed your credit card, vendors that accept credit cards are generally barred by their merchant back contract from requiring any other form of ID. If your credit card is NOT signed, they can ask you for other ID.

I do not sign my credit cards for precisely this reason. I *WANT* them to check the ID.

Having said that, most places these days don't. They scan the card, ask me to sign the machine, and we're done. Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Please excuse our DSKIdiot. He is very dim.
Question: What if a voter doesn't have any one of the acceptable forms of ID?

Answer: If a voter does not have a permanent disability exemption (addressed below) indicated on his or her voter registration certificate OR the voter does not have any of the photo identifications indicated above at the time of voting, the voter may cast a provisional ballot at the polls. However, in order to have the provisional ballot counted, the voter will be required to visit the voter registrar’s office within six (6) calendar days after the date of the election to either present one of the above forms of photo ID OR submit one of the temporary affidavits addressed below (e.g., religious objection or natural disaster) in the presence of the county voter registrar while attesting to the fact that he or she does not have any of the required photo IDs.

A permanent exemption is available for voters with documented disabilities. Voters with a disability may apply with the county voter registrar for a permanent exemption. The application must contain written documentation from either the U.S. Social Security Administration evidencing the applicant’s disability, or from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs evidencing a disability rating of at least 50 percent. In addition, the applicant must state that he or she has no valid form of photo identification. Those who obtain a disability exemption will be allowed to vote by presenting a voter registration certificate reflecting the exemption. The exemption is evidenced by a capital “E” appearing next to the Voter Unique Identifier (VUID) on the voter’s voter registration certificate.

Temporary exemptions are available for voters who have a consistent religious objection to being photographed and for voters who do not have any photo identification as a result of certain natural disasters as declared by the President of the United States or the Texas Governor within 45 days of the day the ballot was cast. A voter must present themselves to the voter registrar and execute the affidavit with the 6th day (sixth day) after election day in order to have their provisional ballot counted.

http://www.votetexas.gov/faq/