viruses

Not the sex kind but the computer kind. My contract with Norton is expiring real soon and I wonder if there are better products out there. Consumer Reports of about 2 yiears ago placed Nortor and McAfee at the bottom of their list. The one they reccommend is out of the US and not too user friendly.

Thanks
Honestly microsoft security essentials is all you really need for everyday browsing. Just make sure you have adblockplus on your browser along with. Probably ghostery as well if you like to download torrents.

The absolute safest bet would be to set up a VM for your risky browsing, so if you get a virus or visit anything unkosher you can just delete it and start over. But like I said: Microsoft Secutity Essentials is more than enough for most peoples needs.
  • Mokoa
  • 05-30-2016, 09:03 PM
The following are all good free tools for keeping the computer clean and free of malicious code as well as other nasty stuff.

CCleaner

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Revo Uninstaller

Avast! Antivirus

Zone Alarm Firewall

These are what I have been using for years. With these tools I have never had any malicious code cripple or otherwise have any effect on my Windows system. Also, the database updates for Avast! and Malwarebytes are free as well.
Avast (Free Version) will handle 80% of pesky intrusions/virus/trojans before they ever take hold.
Malwarebytes (free version) for the rest that get past Avast screening and are difficult to remove.
ADblock (and similar) are good to keep some of those re-directing ads from taking over your browser and giving you those fake "YOUR PC HAS A VIRUS!!! CALL THIS NUMBER TO REMOVE IT!!" Bullcrap. Check the reviews for the browser(s) you use the most.
I'm thinking of posting a short guide on setting up VMs and other computer security tips. Would anyone be interested? Personally I think every hobbyist and provider should be running all hobby related activities via VM.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did not have Microsoft SE, thought I did and downloaded it. Ran it and it picked up two Trojans. I already have CCleaner and Malwarebytes ( paid version). I will get along on SE until I decide which to buy.
I'm thinking of posting a short guide on setting up VMs and other computer security tips. Would anyone be interested? Personally I think every hobbyist and provider should be running all hobby related activities via VM. Originally Posted by Killeeninformer2
I'm running win 10 and linux on Hyper-v for risky sites
I'm thinking of posting a short guide on setting up VMs and other computer security tips. Would anyone be interested? Personally I think every hobbyist and provider should be running all hobby related activities via VM. Originally Posted by Killeeninformer2
I'd love to know how to set up a VPN, I understand it's an inexpensive, and supposedly simple process, but never having been exposed to that tech, I don't have a clue how to set it up.. or use it.
Not that I know so much about it, and had never heard of it till this posting, I see that Microsoft has its own VM. I don't know though how to evaluate it.
I'm guessing "VM" isn't the same as "VPN" = virtual private network".. but then , I'm clueless on this matter
I have been told that VM means "virtual maching" and the way I look at it, it is a computer within your computer and if anything goes wrong you can just eliminate it. Right, Kileeninformer?
  • Mokoa
  • 06-05-2016, 05:21 PM
VM = Virtual Machine.

It is software that simulates hardware. The idea first started back in the 60's on IBM mainframes. Today there is software that you can use to run other operating systems on a computer.

Here are a couple of them...

VMWare

Virtual Box

On my Windows 7 system I have used Virtual Box to run other windows systems, a variety Linux systems and even Android.
Mac has that.. built in, it's called "boot camp", but I run an Imac and have both Windows and IOS running at the same time instead of booting in one or the other.. in a program called "Parallels" . VPN is different, you can "fake" a network so you don't get spam, email, virus infectations etc.. at least that's the way I understand it. I never log on to the internet with Windows, due to bots and spam, but with IOS it's 90% less, although not completely impervious..
  • tron
  • 06-05-2016, 09:45 PM
I will get along on SE until I decide which to buy. Originally Posted by stikiwikit
I have been using Windows Defender (basically the same thing as SE) on Windows 10 for around 8 months. I downloaded AVG's demo last week and ran a full scan. It didn't find anything. At this point, I am going to stick with Defender.

If you have Time Warner or AT&T for internet service, you probably get a free version of some anti-virus software as part of the deal.

If you use shared directories to copy files between PCs, some of the anti-virus software makes it a lot more difficult.
windows defender (the crap that comes with windows 10) + chrome + adblockplus + not clicking on obvious virus download links = you'll be fine.