Has the hobby kept you from moving on in life?

A bit of backstory:

Last year I was presented with 2 relocation opportunities for work. Both of them were the exact same position I hold now. One was to Philadelphia, PA and the other Norfolk, VA. Both interested me because of their close proximity to Manhattan. I ended up passing on both of them. I now currently have 2 new opportunities for a position one step above mine, both in California and not too far from The Bay. The job gives a cost of living adjustment as well as pays relocation costs. I'm interested but much like the last 2 position up east, I feel like there's something here in Fort Worth that's holding me back but I don't know what it is. I'm not going to lie, the hobby life here in Dallas/Fort Worth is a small reason for it. Ask any hobbyist, DFW is an unbelievable place to hobby.

Have you ever felt the hobby lifestyle has kept you/held you back from something more? Like I said, it's not the defining reason but it's a small reason why I'm not positive about moving forward. Got on P411 to check the providers in SF and it seems promising albeit pricey.

I should point out that none of this is meant to paint to hobby in a negative light. I love the hobby. Just wondering if anyone has come across a similar situation.
If you cherish taint, taint will move you forward in life. Trust the taint.
Always with the pearls of wisdom pyramider. I may need to add that to my sig line.
I travel a lot for my job... and I'm here to tell you that you can hobby anywhere you go.
If you cherish taint, taint will move you forward in life. Trust the taint. Originally Posted by pyramider
I would say the exact opposite. The hobby has actual helped me to move forward with my life. It was just the outlet i needed to get over some things. I can see your problem though. I am sure you have built some friendships that you would miss. My only advise would be look at the big picture. Will your quality of life be better where you are going. I've made the sacrifice to the "better position, better pay" gods and the grass is not always greener.
Nothing wrong with having that as one of the deciding factors rc, so long as you have a good life balance overall.

And frankly, I would not want to live in CA with the current state of their, well, state. Are you also factoring in their state tax along with the COL adjustments?
California is massively screwed up, but the hobbying in San Fran is great!
You can pay for pussy anywhere you go. Be loyal to yourself, not the pool of providers.

I'm not passing judgment... Just being objective.
You made the right choice of not moving to Norfolk, Virginia....The area with crime in Newport News, Portsmouth, Hampton and most of Norfolk is like a big ghetto....Virginia Beach has some nice areas yet all of the criminals seems to want to go there and rob you.....

When I retired from the Navy last year, packed my belongings in a U-Haul truck and got on the freeway, leaving Norfolk I was a very happy man.

TexasCowboy
It's actually helped me in my civie dating life. But I can say without a doubt that there's no way the 'hobby' could come between me and other things going on in my life. I don't base my decisions on this. No offense to anyone but it just doesn't seem worth it to me. If anything, it would depend on my friends and family outside of this type of atmosphere that would be a deciding factor.
It's actually helped me in my civie dating life. But I can say without a doubt that there's no way the 'hobby' could come between me and other things going on in my life. I don't base my decisions on this. No offense to anyone but it just doesn't seem worth it to me. If anything, it would depend on my friends and family outside of this type of atmosphere that would be a deciding factor. Originally Posted by B.Wayne
Listen to B. Wayne. The hobby shouldn't be the deciding factor...even a small fraction of it. Your career, your life, your family and friends, your real life relationship, your and your family's future are most important. So....FOCUS!!!
It kept me out of seminary school.

Just kidding. I went.

As a limited time offer I am trading indulgences for hobby time.
I'd think long and hard about California completely aside from the hobby. I, too, enjoy hobbying, and it would be one thing I'd consider. The Dallas ladies are lovely, and we are lucky dogs down here.

California has fantastic weather, and there are tons of lovely ladies. It also has an insane real estate market that will be so much more than you think. Very, very few cost of living adjustments are worth it, tbh. Factor in an 11% state tax as well. Please note, that may likely rise since the state is basically bankrupt. You may be in a position that with the raise and adjustment that you're not concerned, but I just thought I'd mention it. There's a reason California has had net population losses the last few years, ajd has lost a fair number of businesses.

You also get to deal with a bunch of wide-eyed, crazed, koolaid-slurping liberals. I didn't think that'd be a problem for me until I found myself wanting to beat some sense into people with a clue stick! I didn't think I was that conservative, but I really had to grit my teeth a lot.
Cost of living adjustments do not cover the differences in cost of living. I had an offer to move to a new position in the Chicago area. Just the housing costs were double what I was paying at the time. Then when one factors in the taxes, insurance, fuel and food costs ... I stayed where I was.