saving academia from itself

https://nypost.com/2017/11/26/the-wr...save-academia/

looks like cutting education is one solution to the imbalance of liberal professors in universities
I always laugh at how liberals seem to keep SCREAMING how we need more diversity in education and universities, BUT THEY THEMSELVES do all they can to discriminate and keep OUT diversity in political beliefs amongst teachers..
I always laugh at how liberals seem to keep SCREAMING how we need more diversity in education and universities, BUT THEY THEMSELVES do all they can to discriminate and keep OUT diversity in political beliefs amongst teachers.. Originally Posted by garhkal
the only way to take care of em is to defund high education and give them a taste of their own medicine by imposing hiring quotas on them.
the only way to take care of em is to defund high education and give them a taste of their own medicine by imposing hiring quotas on them. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
With how useless colleges seem to be these days, i am all for defunding "High" indoctrination. Cause it certainly isn't higher education..
Just curious, how many trashing colleges attended one?
i attended one. it was very different back then.
i attended one. it was very different back then. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
That’s BULLSHIT.

On both accounts.

i attended one. it was very different back then. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
I would probably tend to agree with you. What is pretty much fact is the amount of money college graduates make compared to HS graduates. If money is important to you. And obviously some people have done VERY well without a college degree. Michael Dell comes quickly to mind.

"College graduates aged 25 to 32 who are working full time earn about $17,500 more annually than their peers who have only a high school diploma, according to the Pew Research Centre, a think-tank. But not all degrees are equally useful. And given how much they cost—a residential four-year degree can set you back as much as $60,000 a year—many students end up worse off than if they had started working at 18."

https://www.economist.com/news/unite...be-much-better

What has always been true since my college days is that a college degree opens doors that are otherwise closed to non-college graduates. Obviously if you want to be an engineer, a doctor, a teacher, or a lawyer you won't get there without a college degree. I entered the business world decades ago and the job I took required a college degree in order to get it immediately. Yes, a person could enter the company at a lower level and possibly get the same job after several years.

I think the main point to be taken from the article I cited is to choose wisely. A degree in art history may be very satisfying to the student but it is doubtful the student will recover the cost of the education back if they pursue a degree in that field. My son graduated from Rice University with a degree in Political Science. Never used it but when you graduate from a solid college with very good grades, recruiters don't care about your major for the most part.
So far, the 5 richest folk i PERSONALLY know, all were NON college grads.. They got their dosh through hard work and determination. Of the over 3 dozen college grads i personally know, 3 are 'very well off', 5 are at or around my yearly income, the rest are above me..
And i don't have a degree, just a HS diploma and my Mil retirement.
Just curious, how many trashing colleges attended one? Originally Posted by bamscram
I have two undergraduate degrees and a masters. I'll trash later.
So far, the 5 richest folk i PERSONALLY know, all were NON college grads.. They got their dosh through hard work and determination. Of the over 3 dozen college grads i personally know, 3 are 'very well off', 5 are at or around my yearly income, the rest are above me..
And i don't have a degree, just a HS diploma and my Mil retirement. Originally Posted by garhkal
To be honest, I don't really know the income of most of the people I know personally, most of whom are college graduates but many who are not. I have never asked another person "How much money do you make?"

A college degree does NOT necessarily mean you will make more money than a non-college graduate. I know many who have made a lot of money without a college degree. Most of the people I know without a college degree are not that lucky.
I have two undergraduate degrees and a masters. I'll trash later. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Of course you do, JDrunk.
The reason most college degreed people earn more is because they are smarter and went into a field that required a college degree. That's "just the average."

Using Michael Dell is a bad example because like Bill Gates he did go to college just didn't graduate. They also entered a newer field that didn't have a lot of "barriers to entry."

Today if you want to learn computer programming you can just watch youtube videos or other computer based learning tools. You don't have to go to the university and pass CALC 301 which you'll never use. I laughed at this woman who said that she was paying $40K a year so her daughter could be a music major at TCU. That was ten years ago.
Simple answer NO they can't save themselves
I have two undergraduate degrees and a masters. I'll trash later. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Don't you claim to be an instructor? Are you part of the liberal problem?