The Drumbeats of War: 100 Years Ago Today.

Just a reminder:

The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and the drumbeats of war

Austro-Hungarian Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie leave Sarajevo City Hall on June 28, 1914, where they attended a reception shortly before their assassination. REUTERS/JU Muzej Sarajevo (JU Sarajevo Museum)/Handout via Reuters

One hundred years ago today in Sarajevo, a Serb nationalist shot to death at point-blank range the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and his wife Sophie. Their deaths, we are told, triggered the chain of events that led a month later to the start of World War I -- the Great War, a horrifying, bloody four-year conflict that killed some 14 million people, collapsed empires and redrew large parts of the world's map.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...mbeats-of-war/
Just a reminder:

The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and the drumbeats of war

Austro-Hungarian Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie leave Sarajevo City Hall on June 28, 1914, where they attended a reception shortly before their assassination. REUTERS/JU Muzej Sarajevo (JU Sarajevo Museum)/Handout via Reuters

One hundred years ago today in Sarajevo, a Serb nationalist shot to death at point-blank range the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and his wife Sophie. Their deaths, we are told, triggered the chain of events that led a month later to the start of World War I -- the Great War, a horrifying, bloody four-year conflict that killed some 14 million people, collapsed empires and redrew large parts of the world's map.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...mbeats-of-war/ Originally Posted by I B Hankering
The drumbeats of war 100 years ago, and the arbitrary resetting Countries borders on the breaking up of the Ottoman empire is the main cause of the drumbeats of war today.
Resetting the border?????????? You mean like between the United States and Mexico? Sounds like you've just condemned your own philosophy EVA.
Resetting the border?????????? You mean like between the United States and Mexico? Sounds like you've just condemned your own philosophy EVA. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Look up the area covered by the old Ottoman empire then the borders of Iraq Syria ect Judy. Are you sure that education is your best endeavor?
Exactly WHAT do you teach, JDIdiot?

More importantly, WHERE do you teach it?

Finally, when a student completes your course, are they still home-schooled?
The drumbeats of war 100 years ago, and the arbitrary resetting Countries borders on the breaking up of the Ottoman empire is the main cause of the drumbeats of war today. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
"The Sick Man of Europe" was already dying a lingering death. Gavrilo Princip merely put a bullet in it and expedited its end.
"The Sick Man of Europe" was already dying a lingering death. Gavrilo Princip merely put a bullet in it and expedited its end. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Didn't you say that once?
The History channel did a story about this. World at War, I think.

When they divided the Otterman Empire up, they did not let the Japanese say a word, which piss them off
They had Hitler and MacArthur in the fields as a private and a captain and how tanks turned the war around when lead by Patton
However, not one mention of Eisenhower

Over all I give a grade of B+
Hate to break this to you, MacArthur, Eisenhower, Hitler and the Japs were in WW2 .
Hate to break this to you, MacArthur, Eisenhower, Hitler and the Japs were in WW2 . Originally Posted by i'va biggen
no shit? never said they were not
no shit? never said they were not Originally Posted by cptjohnstone
When the Ottoman empire was divided up it was by England and France after WW!, When you mentioned it then MacArthur ect it sounded like you were confused in wars...
The History channel did a story about this. World at War, I think.

When they divided the Otterman Empire up, they did not let the Japanese say a word, which piss them off
They had Hitler and MacArthur in the fields as a private and a captain and how tanks turned the war around when lead by Patton
However, not one mention of Eisenhower

Over all I give a grade of B+ Originally Posted by cptjohnstone
Eisenhower didn't make it to Europe during WWI. Though he ended up being the supreme allied commander, Eisenhower was 53 on D-Day. Patton was 58, Bradley was 51 and Montgomery was 56. MacArthur was 64. Saw the same series, it misrepresented -- for the sake of drama -- some fundamental facts. It certainly doesn't deserve better than a "B+".

Japan's imperial quest to make inroads into Siberia following WWI, during the Russian Revolution, did much to alienate the Big Four at Versailles. But, yes, Japan was denied some of its territorial conquests, from the Germans, in the Far East, and that did help create animosity which reached a fevered pitch before erupting into all-out war at Pearl Harbor.
Why didn't you call CplJohnstone a shithead IBIdiot? He was lying after all, by posting a false statement.

He was being ignorantly wrong when he butchered the English language and misspelled the Otter-man Empire.

You're being hypocritical by giving him a break, you Confederate-apologizing rainbow homo?

(Ahem...)