Diabetes please take it seriously

THis is just to encourage those that have it both providers and hobbiest to really take care of themselves. Especially be mindful of any cuts in the lower regions. One of my patients is in the hospital. He had a one inch nail embedded in his foot. Who knows how long it has been there but he never felt the pain. He just noticed his foot was swollen and turning red The disease itself is not a death sentence provided you take care of yourself. (diet, excercise, and maybe medication) Now my patient gets it and Thank God he will be able to avoid amputation

Speaking for myself, i don't have it but it does run in my family. Am i worried ? Yes, but i do excercise routinely and I am constantly working on my diet. Thus far, it has been working for me. I do recognize if i ever stop my routine for a period of time i can become diabetic.

I placed this subject co-ed because it goes both ways and it is thought provoking however it is not entertaining. So Mods do as you wish
Dude,
I love you! Thank you for caring enough to post this!
  • hd
  • 06-30-2011, 10:14 AM
I've had it almost 40yrs, it's a fucking pain to deal with, physically and mentally, but what are you going to do? Keep on keepin' on and deal with it like any other affliction.

My old dog developed it a few months ago, and I'm more concerned and worried about taking care of him.

Just take care of yourself, but I think if you are meant to get it, or any other malady, there isn't much you can do about it!

There, my stress relief for the day!
The complications of diabetes lead the top 10 killers.

From kidney failure, blindness, amputations, heart disease, you name it. They don't put diabetes on the death certificate when you die they put one of the complications.

A family member recently died of cancer and his diabetes really sped up the cnacer growth because cancers LOVE elevated blood sugars.
I can certainly identify with the foot injury and not knowing about it.

My own baby brother is diabetic and has awful problems with neuropathy in his feet. He lost a toe and part of his foot about two years ago and had to have surgery about a year ago on the same foot. It's amazing at how slow the healing process is!

My roommate has been diabetic since he was 19. He is now 57 and has the majority of his problems with retinopathy.

My dad has the kidney problems and slow healing.

I, too, have a STRONG family history of diabetes but do everything I can to avoid it. So far, so good.

It's a dreadful disease that take MUCH care to live a long life. Hang in there all!
I think if you are meant to get it, or any other malady, there isn't much you can do about it Originally Posted by hd
In diabetes case, it can be prevented. Knowledge my friend is powerful. I must stress having it such as yourself is not a death sentence
  • hd
  • 06-30-2011, 03:21 PM
I've grown cynical with age and what I've seen. The biggest thing that chaps my ass is the all the attention given to, at that time, AIDS/HIV and how it was the scurge of the world that would destroy us. Well, people had a choice of not spreading that terrible disease just by taking precautions. But many did not, so thus started all the fund raising and charity events, plus federal money. All because of a small percentage of people afflicted with it. I don't know the numbers, but percentage wise, I'll bet people with HIV are a drop in the bucket compared to all the others that deal with heart, diabetes and other killer diseases?
I used to get very disheartened when news of breakthroughs are announced hoping I won't have to deal with my problem anymore, but it's the same story every time, it's just small steps that are taken each time. I pay no attention to medical news anymore.
It does make you wonder if your life would have been better or worse by having a disease free life, because I think about about every morning I get out of bed.
I know I'm off the OP subject, and also off my soapbox.

later everybody!
HD,

Sorry to hear about your dog with diabetes. I am diabetic myself and its hard on me, but I try to eat right, take my medication and get some exercise. I had a wonderful dog that developed diabetes, the poor thing went blind her last five months. I wore a little bell and she would always follow me by the sound of the bell.
  • hd
  • 07-01-2011, 07:41 AM