Left wingers in California want secession

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53886528#.UrVNg3jTkdU

They want six states out of one. For better representation, lower taxes, and more local control. Wow! What an unusual idea!
  • BJerk
  • 12-21-2013, 08:25 AM
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53886528#.UrVNg3jTkdU

They want six states out of one. For better representation, lower taxes, and more local control. Wow! What an unusual idea! Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
More Democratic Senators - sounds like a winner!
If you do the math, it would really hurt their cause. granted, they would each have two Senators, but the house representation would not change.

The electoral College is where the big hit would come. Right now, the Dems can count on garnering every Electoral Vote that encompasses the entire State. That is the way the Electorial System works. Divide the State up, and odds are, at least a percentage, abiet a small one, of the new "States" might go Republican.

As close as Prsidential Elections are now in popular vote, just a few one way or the other can swing the tide the other way.

I say let them do it.
Is someone in California feeling "uncomfortable" with the next couple of national elections?
  • Old-T
  • 12-21-2013, 01:31 PM
No different than the CO split, except this one is much more likely to result in economically viable entities.

But as with CO, water is the big issue. LA monopolizes water from much of the US west of the rockies. If the water rights deals wound up in the hands of other-than-SoCal it could be (no, would be) very, very messy.

And unlike CO, much of the pull-apart mindset is not Rep/Dem, but north + central/south. The non SoCal dems do not see the world the same as the SoCal dems by any means. Not too far off saying Sunni and Shia are the same.
More Democratic Senators - sounds like a winner! Originally Posted by Bert Jones
Actually you would probably end up with four or five GOP senators. If you ever look at a map of California then you see that half the state is red. Four or five democrat senators and the rest will be toss ups.
So, how would they divvy up their massive debt and unfunded obligations?
The libtards would have them drop that dime on the rest of the nation.
Wingers are all nuts it doesn't matter if they are from the left or right.
  • BJerk
  • 12-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Actually you would probably end up with four or five GOP senators. If you ever look at a map of California then you see that half the state is red. Four or five democrat senators and the rest will be toss ups. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Considering the state is now almost 51% Hispanic, I'm thinking it would accrue to the benefit of the left. Additionally, you all hate Feinstein, it would weaken her.
  • FU_CC
  • 12-22-2013, 05:56 PM
I don't think I've heard anyone here say they hate Feinstein....just her hypocrisy, politics, and lies.
hypocrisy, politics, and lies. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
That is the same case that is made about you!
Considering the state is now almost 51% Hispanic, I'm thinking it would accrue to the benefit of the left. Additionally, you all hate Feinstein, it would weaken her. Originally Posted by Bert Jones
You need to pay more attention.

Coastal CA is more Democratic. Inland CA is more Republican.

There is no requirement that the six new states have equal populations. So 51% Hispanic doesn't mean shit. It is where they live that counts.

Among the 12 Senates seats, you are far likely to get 6 Dems and 6 GOP senators. Or maybe 7-5. Or 5-7. It will change from election to election, depending on the economy.

But the Dems will get fucked in the Electoral College.

Right now (and for years), they get all 50+ of California's electors. Divide CA into six states and the split will be something around 30-20. So the GOP only has to spot them a 10 point lead, not a 50 point lead.
  • BJerk
  • 12-23-2013, 04:34 PM
EXNyer: So, let's give it a try and find out how it goes. I'm willing to risk it. BTW, for all your many flaws, you definitely consort with beautiful women.
EXNyer: So, let's give it a try and find out how it goes. I'm willing to risk it. Originally Posted by Bert Jones
So, am I. I said many years ago that i would like to see California split into two or three states. Helps the GOP tremendously.