That scene in Pretty Woman been bugging me these almost past 30 years.

At the beginning when Lewis scoops Vivian up off the Hollywood boulevard in his Lotus,

he asks her how much she charges.

She said $100 per hour.

Edward Lewis: You make a hundred dollars an hour and you have a safety pin holding your boot up?
Vivian helps Lewis drive to his hotel in Beverly Hills because he couldn't work the manual transmission on the Lotus, he says goodbye to her:

she said she was going to go catch a cab using the $20 he gave her for giving him directions to his hotel.

But then he notices her sitting on the bus stop bench.

He approaches her and asks her how much she charges for the whole night and she said $300.

So right from the beginning:

Vivian's math was wrong.

A whole night should be more than $300.

Let's say 8 hours is a whole night, that should be $800.

Lewis invites her up to his hotel penthouse suite for the whole night.

Later that morning he asks her how much for the whole week, including days.

That's a total of
6 full nights, days too, at 24 hours a day
(her words).

She immediately said $4,000 (TOO LOW) and he countered $3,000 which she accepts.

24 hours a day x 6 days = 144 hours.

144 hours x 100 = $14,400

YES I AM AWARE he is at work during the day so she will actually only spend time with him in the evenings and overnights period;

but her 24 hours rate for 6 days is still too low.

$3,000 adjusted for inflation is $5,889 today.

You can probably get one provider to spend 1-2 full days with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKWV-94nsY

Anyone born in 1990, or were already living in 1990 and after who were old enough to watch Pretty Woman will be in their mid to late 20's to late 30's or even early 40's..

Most of the ladies I've met in hobbying are in that age range including many that have the so called:

HOOKER MATH skills.

I am beginning to think many of them learned their math from this scene in Pretty Woman.

ALSO...

NOTICE how she just came out of the bubble bath tub and yet the bottoms of her feet are still dirty?

That penthouse must have some dirty floors and carpeting.

FINALLY,

After all these years, I still can't get over how big Julia's mouth is.

IMO, Pretty Woman is the only good movie Julia Roberts ever made.

She was 22-23 at the time.

I didn't care for her other films and especially for Erin Brockovich which she won a Best Actress Oscar.

But I am still waiting for the 634 scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqZo3e_1bNc

too much to contemplate, I'm sorry Pretty Woman has been harrowing to you for 30 years.

the $100 an hour is easy.. she assumed he wanted an hour, maybe two.. any Hooker will charge ratably less for 8 hours.

I may be giving the script writers too much credit. there is little else about that Film that corresponds to real world Prostitution.

I may be giving the script writers too much credit. there is little else about that Film that corresponds to real world Prostitution. Originally Posted by Chung Tran

You mean the Hollywood happy ending of the movie?

Guys and Providers don't end up happily ever after?
  • BLM69
  • 08-26-2019, 11:41 AM
The writers knew about hooker math, it only makes sense to them
Multi Hr/Multi day discount
No clue how that worked but she was a street walker so 300 mustve seemed like the lottery!
Chung and cavmen are spot on: multihour discount.

Her rate is $100/hr but she knows that she won't get business all the time. Therefore she's willing to give a discount on her rate in return for lots of business.

Plus, having a 10 hour session with 1 guy is a lot less tiring than having 10 one hour sessions with 10 different men. When a provider knows that she's going to spend a lot of time with one guy, she knows there will be plenty of downtime. A lot of time will be spent eating, sleeping, talking etc. That makes the session less taxing on her. Again this motivates her to give a hefty discount for longer sessions.
Um, it's a movie. Don't read too much into it.
That movie is so unrealistic.

If it was real they would have shown Richard Gear asking her to shove gerbils up his ass.
Only thing that bugged me about that movie was when real life girlfriends would talk about how romantic it was. Really? So you would be flattered if I offered you cash right now? Today I might throw that out. Back then was much more diplomatic and probably chicken if honest. LOL.
You might be over thinking it...just sayin
Only thing that bugged me about that movie was when real life girlfriends would talk about how romantic it was. Originally Posted by ValenTX
I remember that!!

I took 3 secretaries from my office to see it.

They were crying and awwwwing on how romantic it was.

One even said:

"I want to do that!!

If I can meet a guy like Richard Gere, I would do it for $100 per hour!!"

Of course someone didn't tell them that Richard Gere is a HOMOSEXUAL.

In the 6 years he was married to Cindy Crawford, not only did she complains that he hardly ever touched her;

she said the actual amount of time they'd spent together was less than 2 years.

According to her divorce filing, he was more interested in spending all his time with his Dalai Lama Buddhist monks.

We all know about monks and priests being confined in a world where women are off limits and abstinence is a must, many of them become HOMOSEXUALS!!

A heterosexual man wouldn't be married to Cindy Crawford and not have any interest in being intimate with her.

That movie is so unrealistic. Originally Posted by pistol shot
Then, you prefer Ken Russell's 1984 and 1991 films on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPdUeWuqSXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xc1l-nPMfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA2RASz9RKE
  • BLM69
  • 08-26-2019, 09:19 PM
No clue how that worked but she was a street walker so 300 mustve seemed like the lottery! Originally Posted by LadyAnastasia
She looks better than 95% of women here, you believe that being able to post a free ad here should bring a premium?