Foodies in Waco?

Are there ANY non chain restaurants in the Waco area?
For lunch Jake's Texas Tea House open till 2:30 613 Austin Ave.
for dinner and laid back atmosphere George's Restaurant and Bar open till midnight 1925 Speight Ave. also have a location on Hewitt Dr.
Thanks. I just looked on Urban Spoon. Both of those were listed!
  • clegs
  • 04-24-2015, 04:07 AM
Baris Italian on Valley Mills Dr next to Genie Car Wash
I worked in Waco for while.

Local, non chain places you may want to check out, in no particular order.

+1 for George's on Speight for American food. (Near the interstate, around 20th St) (Saw Fist's recommendation after I typed this. The Speight ave location is the original site)

Café Homestead on Dry Creek Rd for organic and Israeli food. North of the Brazos near Elm Mott, 608 Dry Creek Rd, Waco.

Out there (608 Dry Creek) is a Red Wagon BBQ. (All Angus beef brisket, hormone and antibiotic free meats) This is literally a red wagon. Outdoor seating only.

Clay Pot, on the interstate between 9th and 10th st for Vietnamese food.

Health Camp, on the circle for true Old Fashioned Hamburgers, fries and shakes. (been there since before I was born. LOL) Near the interstate and S Valley Mills intersection. On the East side of the interstate.

Enjoy

Respectfully,
OldSarge
  • Lhhs
  • 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Cafe cappuccino is good. Also their is Coaches smokehouse that's in mcgregor but they have great bbq. Definitely hit up George's, they have great fish and shrimp. Oh and we also have La Fiesta.
While we are on the subject. Are there any good sushi places in Waco or Killeen? I am talking good, not buffet?
Nami Japanese restaurant W. Ave. O in Belton has hibachi grill and specialty sushi rolls
thanks for the info, i will check them out next time off the boat.
Fuji over by the Waco mall is good sushi
Been to Fuji. Stood at the door for ten minutes without being seated, went to the bar and seated myself and waited another 10 minutes with no one checking on me. Wasted 20 minutes of my life. That is all they get.
Did ya try the sushi?
I wouldn't go to Fuji. My family and I were walking up to Fuji to do the hibachi show dinner thing, and we noticed a rat in the bushes. When you looked closer it wasn't just an isolated rat, it was a horde of rats. So I haven't been back since.
Did ya try the sushi? Originally Posted by !Julia Ward!
No, like I said, no one even talked to me. Too bad on their part I had a pocket full of cash and a strong craving for some sushi and sushimi.
wow captian, I had a similar experience at FUJI. they should rename the place to FUCKME because that's what they did.!
the service there sucks big time. twice while sitting at the bar, I waited about 20 minutes before the waiter said a single word to me. the sushi chefs didn't say a word nor make eye contact with me either. never did get to eat sushi in that place. stay away from that place