Where To Stay?

I am in town wensday and have never toured austin before.
Im acutally going to lakeway to visit my family for easter and thought I would play in central austin since I am nearby.

I have no clue which hotels to stay away from or where is a good centrally located place to stay.....

Do any of you ladies and gents have any suggestions?
Arboretum area is probably safest. Stay away from Williamson County/RoundRock area. I personally avoid I-35 and 290/2222 area as well as it seems a bit run down - just my opinion. Don't know of areas on south side - maybe someone down there can chime in.
Arboretum area is probably safest. Stay away from Williamson County/RoundRock area. I personally avoid I-35 and 290/2222 area as well as it seems a bit run down - just my opinion. Don't know of areas on south side - maybe someone down there can chime in. Originally Posted by muckman

Thanks for the info and for being so kind! I will keep this in mind!
I will second the Arboretum as being a good recommendation for central. There are several hotels there, not aware of any I would avoid. Staying out of Williamson County (Round Rock) is a MUST.

Respectfully,

OldSarge
I would just like to say, and hopefully w/o getting my head bit off. That Round Rock is not that horrible. I think if you know the provider/hobbyist your ok. But for visiting purposes to make the best out of your stay its most convient to be in Austin.
  • 03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
There are over 20 hotels in the Austin Arboretum area. I usually stay at the Hyatt place.

Here's a good trick if your paying by Credit Card. Book a Hyatt Place (quite a few in Austin, including the Arboretum), via the Hyatt website. Choose the government rate, which is usually $85-$115/night. When you check in, use the Kiosk instead of the front desk so that you don't get asked for a government ID. Works at all Hyatts nationwide.
There are over 20 hotels in the Austin Arboretum area. I usually stay at the Hyatt place.

Here's a good trick if your paying by Credit Card. Book a Hyatt Place (quite a few in Austin, including the Arboretum), via the Hyatt website. Choose the government rate, which is usually $85-$115/night. When you check in, use the Kiosk instead of the front desk so that you don't get asked for a government ID. Works at all Hyatts nationwide. Originally Posted by Fubijar
Or Priceline. Honestly I have had the best luck naming my own price. I have been able to stay at 4 Star hotels for $45 a night. (not lying.)