Sad day for football... An innovator and legend passes

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

Not only a legend in the San Diego football community but an innovator in the game. Some very interesting stats in the article, including one that he was hired the day of the PSA crash (for those that do not know Aviation or San Diego history, one of the worst airline accidents in history).

He will be missed as a person and as a person who to this day continues to influence the game.
I totally agree, Bolt. Here's a current working link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e-on-game-life

RIP Don.
Ernie Zampese and Norv Turner were Cowboys O.C. that were disciples of Coryell.
Norv may be frustrating as a coach at time but I sure do enjoy watching when the offense is clicking.
  • Lanny
  • 07-05-2010, 06:01 PM
...Think of the "West Coast Offense" on Steroids...meaning, they stretched the field with more of a vertical passing game down the field than the normal WCO...I was playing TE in Jr High in the 80's and into HS in early 90's, and my Idol was Kellen Winslow...he was the prototype TE of the future, possessing speed and GREAT Hands...Dan Fouts has about the best five years a QB can have from about 80-85...To this day, I am Conviced that the 81 Chargers would have given the 49ers all they could handle in the Super Bowl...But they lost to a Bengals team in Weather with -50 degree wind chill that all but Paralyzed Charger Passing Game...Nothing against Bengals, but what a game that could have been....Fouts vs Montana....I believe that was also the year of the "Catch" by Dwight Clark, which, for all intents and purposes ended the Cowboys NFC run and ignited the 49ers run in the 80's....
RIP Don Coryell....probably Never received the accolades he should have as an Offensive Coordinator/Innovator....

Lanny
being a Cowboys lifer, i think he was the coach for the Cardinals back in the Jim Hart days. used to throw to that fast receiver Mel Gray i think. and that was back in the Terry Metcalf days if my fuzzy memory is right. Cards weren't especially good in those days but gave the boys fits at times. he was a great offensive coach.