Addressing some issues...

Hi , gang. How's it going? Having fun? That's good.

Well, we've all had some time to settle in here. Spread our wings a little. Find out what works and what doesn't.
Now it's time to address some issues we've been having lately.

For those of you who may not have seen it yet or, perhaps you've seen it but just need a little refresher, I'd like
for you to take a moment and read through the ECCIE Mission Statement. It's located here:

http://www.eccie.net/announcement.php?f=16

If you take just one little tidbit of wisdom from that post it should be "respect for others".
Recently there has been, shall we say, a little "straying" from that message. Well, that "straying"
has come to an end.

Listen, I'm all for spirited, passionate conversation. Debates are all well and good.
It is when those conversations degenerate into rudeness, name calling, insults and
ultimately, flame wars that we have a problem. People end up with hurt feelings.
People end up on other people's DNS list. Nobody's happy.

In here, we pretty much know everybody. We've been reading each other's posts for years.
Now. Can you imagine what we look like to the newbies as well as the general public?
Not too friendly or inviting, is it? Someone who might have been that next "diamond-in-the-rough"
Provider or that next "all-star reviewer with tons of info" may have just taken a short look around
and said to themselves, "Screw that! Who needs that shit?"
We never hear from them. They're gone.

Contrary to what many may believe, there are rules in place to deal with these situations.
They aren't really posted anywhere. In the beginning, the owners of this site didn't feel they had
to be. It was assumed that people were coming here from other sites where these types of rules
were already in place and understood. Apparently, not by everyone.

Starting today, those rules will be enforced. Any infractions related to rudeness, name calling, and/or insults
will be met with a warning from staff. That warning may come in the form of a PM/EM from staff or it may come in
the form of points being issued. It will depend on the severity of the infraction and how well we (the staff) feel the
member receiving the warning will respond to it. Vacations from the board may also be awarded.

My friends, it is with deep regret that I must make this post. But, hard times call for hard truths.
ECCIE must remain a place where all feel welcome and where all feel free to post their thoughts and information.
Without the free flow of both we all lose.

gfe
Yay!!!!!
I'm glad the mods are on top of things

I've seen threads get way out of hand and hoped that one of the mods would step in and calm everyone down

I'm just here to have a good time and be under Sophia
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou........you're the best.
Thanks Gfejunkie,
I bet there are a lot more newbies out there that have wanted to hear this from the board. I really enjoy the playful banter as I search for new talent, but don't really want the drama.
Well done, HOOK'EM
Hi , gang. How's it going? Having fun? That's good.

Well, we've all had some time to settle in here. Spread our wings a little. Find out what works and what doesn't.
Now it's time to address some issues we've been having lately.

For those of you who may not have seen it yet or, perhaps you've seen it but just need a little refresher, I'd like
for you to take a moment and read through the ECCIE Mission Statement. It's located here:

http://www.eccie.net/announcement.php?f=16

If you take just one little tidbit of wisdom from that post it should be "respect for others".
Recently there has been, shall we say, a little "straying" from that message. Well, that "straying"
has come to an end.

Listen, I'm all for spirited, passionate conversation. Debates are all well and good.
It is when those conversations degenerate into rudeness, name calling, insults and
ultimately, flame wars that we have a problem. People end up with hurt feelings.
People end up on other people's DNS list. Nobody's happy.

In here, we pretty much know everybody. We've been reading each other's posts for years.
Now. Can you imagine what we look like to the newbies as well as the general public?
Not too friendly or inviting, is it? Someone who might have been that next "diamond-in-the-rough"
Provider or that next "all-star reviewer with tons of info" may have just taken a short look around
and said to themselves, "Screw that! Who needs that shit?"
We never hear from them. They're gone.

Contrary to what many may believe, there are rules in place to deal with these situations.
They aren't really posted anywhere. In the beginning, the owners of this site didn't feel they had
to be. It was assumed that people were coming here from other sites where these types of rules
were already in place and understood. Apparently, not by everyone.

Starting today, those rules will be enforced. Any infractions related to rudeness, name calling, and/or insults
will be met with a warning from staff. That warning may come in the form of a PM/EM from staff or it may come in
the form of points being issued. It will depend on the severity of the infraction and how well we (the staff) feel the
member receiving the warning will respond to it. Vacations from the board may also be awarded.

My friends, it is with deep regret that I must make this post. But, hard times call for hard truths.
ECCIE must remain a place where all feel welcome and where all feel free to post their thoughts and information.
Without the free flow of both we all lose.

gfe Originally Posted by gfejunkie
Well..... I'm not sure who is unhappy or who had their feelings hurt.... I thought this was a board for adults?....

Personally I'm above letting name calling bother me...... I have certainly been the subject of a good bit of name calling as well as rudeness over the last week.......... I didn't complain about any of that...

And if your going to point people for being rude or calling people names a whole lot of people will be whining "but it's Whispers... He IS an asshole... Why can't I call him an ASSHOLE!? I have a feeling you guys will be pointing a lot of people that simply do not know how to debate someone that can keep their cool......

But I don't have a problem with any of it..... I don't call people names and I do not initiate any rudeness..... Well... many years ago I used the "C" word on Roberta but everyone did agree with me at the time.....

What I do find interesting regarding your post is the timing of it.....

I look around and in all honesty it seems like the community aired it's shit and settled back down......

It's been quite a bit calmer today.......

I think the community demonstrated the ability to police itself fairly well.....

Some things needed to get said and it did... Some people needed to have someone stand up for them and they did..... Some people needed to be called on their crap and they got called on it......

I understand WHAT you said..... I just think it would have been better timed a day or two ago....

I just think STAFF needs to explain it a little better...... Especially since you intend to enforce "unwritten rules"

One of the MAJOR issues on ASPD was in how random decisions as to what was rude or unworthy of discussion was made..... Threads disappeared and warnings and vacations given for reasons not written as Mods ran their own little kingdoms as they saw fit for their personal benefit and the benefit of a few...... Nobody was alowed to question it...

Recently they resurrected the database and restored access on that "other" site.....

For a few days there were problems of course, one being that the Austin Staff Forum, where threads were removed and parked, was readily visible for anyone logged in to see.....

It was truly lame the kind of threads that were parked in there..... Issues that never should have been removed seemed to be gone for the sake of someone's "feelings"....

That is what more than one person will be concerned about happening here......

under the guise of enforcing "unwritten rules"......

I guess only time will tell.......
From what I saw the threads you mention Geniusman, had already died off.

I am no troll. Everyone around here knows I don't routinely start shit. But when a few people "got out of hand" I thought I needed to speak my mind.

Yes it turned into a flame war, but I thought this had started to blow over. I dunno...

I remember LAP saying something like "if this is the way Eccie membership wants it, this is the way it will be". (paraphrasing of course)

I am perfectly happy fucking and writing reviews and up until a couple days ago, everything was hunky dory. Again all I did was point out someone else being a $%&*.
What I do find interesting regarding your post is the timing of it.....

I look around and in all honesty it seems like the community aired it's shit and settled back down......

It's been quite a bit calmer today.......

I think the community demonstrated the ability to police itself fairly well.....

Some things needed to get said and it did... Some people needed to have someone stand up for them and they did..... Some people needed to be called on their crap and they got called on it...... Originally Posted by Whispers
Cant argue with that comment. Seems like the community did quite well without any staff involvment
I even had a "come to Jesus moment" and buried the hatchet with someone, BECAUSE of all the recent craziness.
rekaSxT makes a good point...... LAP is Staff and made that comment yesterday...

LAP made appearances in more than one thread and allowed things to take their course.....

Tess, you got my point...and I'm glad someone did. No one group has the power to do anything on this site. Anyone can post just about anything as long as they follow the basic rules of the site. The "power struggle" has a lot to do with perception and in the course of a few hours of posting, that perception can change.

It's your board folks, it's up to you to direct the flow of conversation and information.

LAP Originally Posted by lickalotapus
I want to point out that on ASPD in the Austin Forums there WAS a group that was allowed to control the flow and that was the Austin Mod Panel...... Censorship at it's worst.....

Another question comes to mind...... LAP made this post today in Houston.... Most of what we saw here over the last few days in all honesty has always been kind of commonplace in Houston..... Lots of grown ups in Houston...

This is an adult discussion site and the Houston staff gives a lot of leeway to the discussions here. Many say we give too much leeway...I say, this is Houston...put on your flame retardant undies and have fun.

At some point these threads are no longer fun... So when you find yourself calling each other names and taking this shit personally...go get laid and remember this is a website, not the real world. If this is becoming your "real world"...go get some fresh air and then go get laid.

Moving forward...ah fuck it, y'all know...be kind, please rewind.

LAP Originally Posted by lickalotapus

No talk of people being pointed or given vacations......

Will there be different "unwritten rules" for Austin ?

Or are these Board Rules you reference.....

Will staff in Austin be allowed to enforce different rules than staff in Houston?
Damn you Whispers, you eloquent asshole. You say what I say but better....
  • ManUp
  • 02-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, I think I'm going to take another deep dive again. Let me know when we're out of Iran or China.
gfejunkies post has my support 100%...and yes those were my posts unfortunately it appears that more staff involvement is needed and requested.

This wasn't posted as an intention for debate folks. We're just giving everyone a heads up that making direct personal attacks, name calling and just generally being rude isn't cool. Points have been issued today to several people in different forums. We're not going to announce who but it did happen.

We as a staff understand that the dozen or so frequent posters in the Coed Section don't have a problem with the way things have been and for the most part won't have a problem with just being a little nicer and more friendly. There were over 200 people in the Austin forum this afternoon/evening and we had the same dozen or so posting and that's it. We want this site to be encouraging and welcoming to everyone.

LAP
Thanks for the clarification LAP.

My only request would be that the rules be posted.

I know the fear might be that it would encourage people to push the envelope, but I think membership needs to know what is expected of them before they are punished.
i think the last few days leveled the playing field if you will. some people were exposed or brought back to earth. down41's comical rant actually has changed me. i will not bitch again about being cockblocked, etc. i have now 15 ok's on P411 since october. women are seeing me. if i want to see a lady I can. so i will shut the fuck up on that.

i was able to mend a fence with a very popular provider yesterday (hobby legend if u will). i had an unfortunate exchange with her before the other site closed. she showed total class in her posts and suffered some negativity herself from others.

providers should not bully other providers or send PM's to them that their rates are too low. she can run her business how she wants. if she wants to charge 50 bucks, etc for a BBBJ and u want to charge 120 that is great. she just wants her phone to ring a few more times than yours thats all. ( this is a different provider)

WK's quit leaking shit out of the lounge. PERIOD!

I think if those two "unwritten rules" were followed, things would be alot more calm. i also agree that the board policed itself rather well thank you very much